Hi all, now 7 days tkr more advice needed

Posted , 13 users are following.

my leg is still swollen and I don't seem to be able to see what to do.  My ankle is causing as much trouble as my knee.  If I walk to the toilet and around the room then sit on the edge of the bed the swelling carries on into my toes.  I am icing, resting doing some excersises.  But daren't do too much and overdo it yet the swelling isn't any easier.  Do you find the knee is very very tight and I feel my lower leg and ankle has prickly heat.   Thanks.    X

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I had all these apart from swelling.   In fact even after 22 weeks there is pain in my ankles.
  • Posted

It is still very early days please don't overdo it !

Take it easy on yourself exercise should be gradual and remember to ice rehydrate rest take your meds

Suddenly it will all fall into place - if you look at all of our moans and groans plus the successes you should find some helpful advice I know I did and don 't know how I would have got through it all without the comments advice etc on this forum

So chins up and best knee forward

• Posted

hi susan its very early days for you and very normal im now 8 weeks post op and and ive just said to my hubby im gonna lay on the bed cos nmy knee feels sooooo tight it feels like its gonna split and my ankle too hurts but also when I lay on the bed I get an awful feeling in my foot like someone tightening a rubber band????? all you can do is elevate and ice and drink plenty cos since I upped my water intake it does help!! early days but ul get there!!
  • Posted

This could be a by product of the tourniquet that was tied around your leg to slow the bleeding. Try elevating. Keep your ankle and foot 5-6 inches off the bed using pillows under the leg but not under the knee. Make sure you aren't cross ing your legs with one ankle laying on fop of the other. You are so new to the rehab that even though this is uncomfortable it isn't a permanent condition but trying to do too much to quick will extend the problem. You are too early to be walking without a walker or crutches and dangling it just aggravates the situation. Take pain meds as prescribed, excercise as instructed, elevate, ice and rest at every possible chance. Remember, you have just experienced a very traumatic experience and one of the most difficult recoveries going. Don't try to rush the process or the body will rebel. Give it a couple of more weeks doing things properly and you'll feel like a different person. Nearly everyone experiences some miserable pain of some sort

Unfortunately most docs don't tell you about things like this but this forum is a great help and the people who have actually been through it will help you at every step. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi thanks for your advice I am of course on crutches.   I tried putting my leg slightly higher on a pillow ( after spending 5 mins working out how to get it there!) lol. But it felt like it was going to sleep and numb so layed  it flat again which is more comfortable.  I feel so pathetic when I look at some sites saying get up walk about and sit in a chair.   Which just makes my leg swell even more.   I worry that if I don't do "enough" the scar tissue will set in.  

How would we keep sane without this site, I would have been an anxious mess , many thanksa

• Posted

hi old why cant you have the pillow under your knee??? when I was in hospital they put a pillow under my leg ankle to thigh???? so im still doing that and im bothered its wrong now????
    • Posted

Try using your good leg to lift the bad one. Couple of weeks and the muscles will strengthen enough so it will be moveable. This is a very difficult part of the recovery but it will get better, I promise
    • Posted

With regards to the pillow under the leg, I think what OFG means is that you shouldn't just put something under your knee, thus keeping the leg in a bent position. it's OK to rest the whole leg on a pillow . . PLEASE don't feel pathetic. A lot of the sites are so ridiculously optimistic regarding recovery, and it's only a very few people who can do what they talk about.  Yes, there are some lucky people who get up and walk on the first day without considerable pain . . but most of us are just like you, struggling!
    • Posted

You are o.k. going from foot to thigh. Just don't hang a leg over a pillow where the knee bends over the pillow and hangs. That cuts off the circulation and stops blood flow. I remember the 1st time a nurse caught me doing that and gave me a good chewing out.
    • Posted

Thanks OFG thank goodness for that cos its the only way I get comfy lol
  • Posted

IT IS  VERY ,VERY EARLY...MY SWELLING LASTED MONTHS. IF I OVER EXERT ITS WORSE.  ELAVATE AND ICE TO DIMINISH SWELLING .  ALSO HAD BURNING PAIN...I RAN A FAN ALL THE TIME  ESPECIALLY  AT NIGHT AT MY BEDSIDE...ANITA FROM BOSTON
  • Posted

One tip I was given by my physio to help with painful swelling going down into the ankle and foot was to lie on bed or sofa and make a wedge shaped slope of pillows/cushions to support the whole leg so that when I lay down the swollen parts were ABOVE the level of the heart. I found that resting like this for half an hour at a time then walking about a bit then resting again helped enormously!
  • Posted

Hi I am 7 weeks post TKR . I have still got bad swelling! My consultant. GP and physio have all said that the swelling can go on for up to a year!!

Do as everyone has said, Take your meds, do exercises,rehydrate, rest as much as possible, your body needs time to get over the traumatic experiences it has just gone through, as the professionals I see say: you have had major surgery and probably the worst operation possible so be

kind to your self. Try to get as much sleep as you can, your body heals when you sleep? It is early days for you take care of your self and any problems just ask this forum. The " old fay guy " is very knowledgable about this op and his advice is spot on so take notice of his comments. Xx take care

• Posted

Hi Louise

I will most definitely listen to everything. I am most appreciative of the time taken by everyone. I am spending all my time laying down and only managing 2-3 hours sleep through the night. i hope we can all do the best possible and wish all a speedy recovery and will follow the posts as regular as possible. Take care xx

• Posted

susan you are laying down cos that's what ur body is telling you to do!!!! at 8 weeks post op I can get up do some dusting clear the kitchen and see to the washing etc up til lunch then thats it im shattered! !! ive to lay on the bed then for a few hours!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.