Hi Anyone,

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a TKR nearly 4weeks ago, 16 February 2018,  I feel weak tired and very spaced out, just don’t feel like my normal self.  Just wanted to know if any one else have had same sort of symptoms ??  Feel like I’m going insane and totally isolated . 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Clare are your meds making you feel spaced out? I found it hard to sort out what I could have when and with what. I also didn’t feel myself but u have to persevere with it. Do you have some support at home? 
    • Posted

Hi Wendi,  yes I have support at home , I live with my two Adult Sons and they are a great help. They both work, so I’m on my own all day.  It’s been since last week where I’m feeling really depressed and dizzy and light headed , as if I’m not here.. very strange feeling😬.  So I’ve made an appointment with my doctor for a chat & to have a Blood Test.  It’s not my medication because I’ve been on the same pain killers for a long time now, as I have already had my first Knee Replacement 2 years .. which has been successful .  

• Posted

Claire it’s normal. I’m now 2 months post op and have good days and bad week 4 I had to go back on oral morphine a couple of times in the evening as I was in pain. That made me confused and spaced out. Week 5 and 6 were ok 7 was exhausted all week. This week I’m shattered. You will be doing more your body is adjusting and it’s the meds. X
  • Posted

I had mine on the 8th and have had the same feelings.I did nothing but my exercises and visit to physical therapy twice a week.I cut my pain meds during daytime as much as I could take and now feeling better.This is a big surgery we went through.Hope this helps
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your advise, it’s just nice to hear others peoples experience.  I had my first Knee joint replacement 2 years ago, so I should really know was to expect.. but you forget and then it’s starts all over again after 2nd operation,  last time I also got depressed & anxious a lot.  It is a big operation / painfull , and my sleeping hasn’t been great.. I think my body had gone into shock .. 

• Posted

Hi I remember around the 4 week mark feeling quite depressed with it all.  I was on diahydracodeine and paracetamol plus liquid morphine which my GP prescribed but I only took that at night.  Every time I sat down during the day I fell asleep.  Everything seemed an effort.  I felt exhausted.  But then gradually the pain started to subside and I had more energy.  It will get better.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Yes, I do.  Im 6 weeks out ; went to PT today and of course, was tortured. ha....  I see no difference in my knee than from the day after surgery.  Im very depressed and feel isolated .
  • Posted

I'm goin into my ninth week and I remember the time you're going through. I just read that this exhaustion is caused by your body putting all energy toward healing the trauma you've just gone through. All you can do is ice and elevate - rest and gently work your leg. Stay on the forum if you feel isolated- and after you start pt- you'll be getting out some. Stay healthy so you'll be strong when you kick those hard meds because that business sucks. Take care

• Posted

I had double TKR 7 weeks ago and I am sometimes weary. I have spoke to my PT and she says it’s normal to feel this way because the body is still healing.  Sleep hasn’t  been easy which can add to it. Are you getting enough sleep and/or naps?  I also think it helps to have visitors to keep your mind occupied. It will get better.  
  • Posted

Hi Clare I had my TKR on the 13th February, I feel I am doing quite well but still have bad pain at night and take strong pain killers My leg also gets so stiff when sitting or lying down for a while it just seems to lock up also when I wake up in the morning it just feels like this dead weight, I also feel quite down 

but think it’s the medication  and also being stuck in doors I am 59 and usually work full time, the pain changed today to my thigh and the left side of my knee, I know it’s only been 4 weeks and reading other people’s journeys it’s a long haul and think I am just feeling very sorry for myself.

I hope you feel better soon

Sue

X

• Posted

Hi sue I had mine 5 days before you and have the same nighttime issues.I am 61 and work full time as well.I am very active and not use to being inside.I found sleeping on my recliner works best as I cannot sleep in bed.Good luck to you
  • Posted

Oh yeah! Welcome to post op TKR! 4 weeks is still really early in recovery & pain meds can leave you feeling spaced out. Speak to your GP about pain relief, maybe something else would suit you better. Just like the operation there is no ‘one size fits all’ in pain meds, maybe try a different one.

When you are able to get out & about a bit more you should start to feel less isolated. I does feel sometimes like you’ve fallen off the planet & are a spectator rather than a participant. If that makes sense??

once you get past 6 weeks things should start to ‘normalise’ again

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Just so you know Clare this is normal LOL you will improve your journey is just beginning. It gets better but takes a lot of work. Stay focused and stay positive. Every hour that passes by from surgery is an hour closer to recovery. I am still recovering and will be 7 months on St Paddy's day. You sound like you are doing just fine. Keep on this site as there are wonderful people here. I don't know how I would have made it without them. You will be alright. Take your time in recovery and be nice to yourself and patient. This surgery is HUGE. Best wishes 😊

• Posted

You are about average. Just look at what you've been through, you leg nearly amputated and then retracted. While it was off, they chiseled, drilled, installed a piece of 4 lb foreign metal and plastic. You bled enough to float a ship and then the fastened you back together with string or staples. You didn't feel like eating for a co u ole of weeks and you had to gobble opiates just to keep your head from blowing up. Now, one month after all this you are trying to rationalizewhy things are messed up with your life. I've had 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehab on my leg. Blood transfusions were needed on 3. None are the same but the final result, 6 months down line thins will start to smooth out. Don't pain, take your meds, drink lots and lots of water all day every day. One day you will turn the corner and have your life back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.