Hi Anyone,

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a TKR nearly 4weeks ago, 16 February 2018,  I feel weak tired and very spaced out, just don’t feel like my normal self.  Just wanted to know if any one else have had same sort of symptoms ??  Feel like I’m going insane and totally isolated . 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I have been signed off work for 12 weeks for recovery. I found it hard at 1st at home. It took time to sort what meds I could have when and what with but personally I had to make

My mind up to get stuck

In and spend this time off work to concentrate on recovery and it’s been hard at times. Some days I feel I’m getting nowhere but  I know I have to persevere. I’m glad I found this forum it’s been great to see what I’ve have felt is normal and I’m

Not the only one having bad days. We will all get there on our own time 😊 

• Posted

You just had major surgery Clare and brutal surgery at that, the first 10-12 weeks are the worst if your not getting any sleep you must go to your GP and get some prescription sleeping pills they were a god send to me,if your tired all day it will hinder your recovery and mindset.
  • Posted

"I'm feeling more like my normal self" is a common phrase used by TKR patients somewhere around the nine month mark.  Ouch...did that hurt?  Of course, you dance at your one-year anniversary party...start planning it now!!!  Know that any "down" feelings at this point are also totally normal and just a Jedi Mind Trick...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-post-operative-depression-604195

Time, work and patience...that's the plan.  This whole thing takes a year.  Want something to feel less isolated?  Try some of these...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-power-of-rest-some-great-strategies-to-try-on-a-tkr-617892

Cool article...

• Posted

Great advice!  I read the article and it was helpful. I just downloaded Headspace on my phone to learn how to meditate. Love to hear about the experiences of others on this site. Yes it’s 

journeying   

• Posted

Read an engrossing novel...or five..., binge watch Netflix, destroy zombies on xBox...do ANYTHING to take your mind off the pain.  PS: Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is a GREAT topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.  Use multiple times a day but especially at bedtime.  Works for most people.

Meditation is GREAT. I used to do it a lot in the 70's and 80's (but then I'm a hippie from the 60's)...however it takes a lot of practice to ignore your body and focus on absolutely nothing...clear your mind...there's only the mantra and your breathing.  Harder to accomplish when there's pain.  You've given yourself a challenge!!!

• Posted

Give yourself time Clare; I went back to work at 4 weeks post op as financially I had to. Much much too soon. I’m now two months post op and exhausted. I work I come home, rest and sleep. My advise to anyone now would be if you can have all the time off that you need to recover. I’m going in peaks and troughs. I’m not getting the time to do the exercises how I should be either.  You are doing well. Be kind to yourself and what is normal with major surgery like this. 

I have actually had a little achievement tonight; I walked up the stairs like a normal person; albeit slow and holding onto the bannister for the first time in about 4 years. Little steps get to those mountain peaks eventually x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.