The Power of Rest: Some GREAT Strategies to Try on a TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Found this GREAT article on NBC News and I thought I'd share it with you.  The author had to recover from an injury and his mental state deteriorated until he took some steps to change the way he approached his situation.  There are some very good tips in the article that everyone recovering from a TKR should try, considering the length of our "journey".

In particular, his recommendation of doing some "journaling" is EXACTLY what we do here on the Forum.  So, if you have ever started a discussion telling everyone what's going on in your life or have responded to a discussion by posting a response, congratulations...you're journaling!!!

Here's the article link...hope it provides some new strategies for you to apply to your recovery...

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/what-physical-injury-taught-me-about-my-mental-health-ncna811166

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's brilliant, I have bookmarked it...well worth being included in the essentials of TKR recovery information! Would be good if all folk had this information before surgery really!

• Posted

Because I included an external link, this had to be "moderated".  Glad they ok'ed it.  The guy who wrote it had nowhere near the pain and recovery time that we do but I thought his suggestions were absolutely applicable to a TKR situation.  Social contacts, meditation, journaling and more...all great strategies.  The best of all: Resting IS productive!!!!  Just loved it...

• Posted

It would be good if all patients had it after surgery too. A handout of Chico’s experiences and advice should be available in all physio and consultant departments. These, along with other writers experience is an invaluable aid to recovery.

I think you will agree, Jenny

• Posted

I've been in computers for 46+ years plus a drummer, guitarist and, for the past 20 years, a blues/rock bassist.  I don't think any medical professional would take any advice from any of us.  They are taught their protocols and follow them...period. 

Everything I write is based on:

1. Personal experience (29 ops in the past 18 years)

2. A lot of deep research as well as asking my docs lots of questions

3. My ex-wife of 25 years was a phenomenal pharmacist; I learned a lot about the drugs

4. My current wife of almost 8 years was a psychiatric nurse for 30 years

5. My cousin Greg was an ER doc for 50 years...now a Patient Advocate for complex cases

6. The horn section leader of my former band in NJ has Ph.Ds in pharmacy, chemistry and pharmacokinetics (how drugs work)

7. I ask these resources a lot of questions...well...not the ex...

8. My brain is like a sponge...I just soak all this in

You learn a lot about all this stuff over the years and I'm almost 70, still working full time and playing in my band.  And I get to share my thoughts and experiences with a lot of fantastic people on this Forum.  Loving it...no, not McDonald's...ugh...just love doing what I'm doing...

• Posted

A biographical example of how talent, curiosity and personality is entwined in Chico’s work.
  • Posted

Chico Thank you so much for the articles. I will refer to them often. You are so right about the mental part of this journey needing to be strong and clear. A new paradigm is exactly what I need to be able to embrace this marathon. 

Thanks for your invaluable input. 😘

• Posted

Actually, Chico I can't open the links?! I don't know why

• Posted

Hi Chico Marx

i read the article and can definitely use some of the suggestions, I’m going to see my physio next week and show them the article as well. We can definitely adapt this for Australians, one issue I’m going to address with my Surgeon is the post operative mental conditioning.

we all hear what our surgeons / doctors and nurses say about the pain and suffering during recovery, but do we listen!

this forum puts people together like no other way I’ve experienced,when I wrote of the particular physical and mental issues I’m struggling with after day 9 little did I know that so many have been exactly down my path,and you know that makes me feel as if I’m not alone and not a wuss ( an Australian term for men being weak) 

so thankyou my freind

• Posted

This recovery is mind, body, heart and soul.  Takes strength you never knew you had.  That's why it's important to take your mind off the pain and put it onto something else.  Binge watch Stranger Things on Netflix, kill zombies on your Xbox, read an engrossing novel, take the dog for a long walk.  The WORST thing you can do is just lie there and focus on the pain.

"Don't do dat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Do anything else but lie there.  Yeah, it's tough and hard and uncomfortable...but you get to choose physical recovery and mental health ...or not.  During the hardest times, I kept myself busy.  I'm a blues/rock bassist, so taking one of my axes off the wall, plugging it in and playing a little Paranoia by Black Sabbath and singing along with Ozzy pretty much worked for me.  I just set up a playlist of lots of favorites and played along.  You do whatever you have to do.

I found that article on NBC News...though it had a lot of great ideas in it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.