The Power of Rest: Some GREAT Strategies to Try on a TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Found this GREAT article on NBC News and I thought I'd share it with you.  The author had to recover from an injury and his mental state deteriorated until he took some steps to change the way he approached his situation.  There are some very good tips in the article that everyone recovering from a TKR should try, considering the length of our "journey".

In particular, his recommendation of doing some "journaling" is EXACTLY what we do here on the Forum.  So, if you have ever started a discussion telling everyone what's going on in your life or have responded to a discussion by posting a response, congratulations...you're journaling!!!

Here's the article link...hope it provides some new strategies for you to apply to your recovery...

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/what-physical-injury-taught-me-about-my-mental-health-ncna811166

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank u

Everything you talk about, I am dealing with or delt with. The depression and fear of the unknown is awful. It's been 10 weeks since surgery then had a MUA on friday. I ask my self everyday what if I don't get better? The pain is worse now than any pain I had before. I wish I would have never done it. This article helped. I am going to the gym on Tuesday and getting back into the swing of things no matter how painful. My right leg is beginning to get flabby.

Thank you

Michelle

• Posted

I try because I don't want to let this get me down but because my life is in such a standstill mode it's hard to just kick it out the door

• Posted

Ten weeks is so early still! You will be alright. The most important thing is to have patience and listen to your body. Let your knee guide your way to healing. Keep working it as you can & ice and take pain meds. I am 9 mos post op and doing so much better now and I had all the same feeliings you had. It's tough but you will make it through and you will be glad you did it. It's a LONG process so you just have to relax and accept that fully. 

But know and be comforted that it gets easier and better with each passing week away from surgery! 

Stay strong and best wishes 😘

• Posted

I understand Michelle. My friend told me the other day the light was back in my eyes. The next day I was down again. I've been through this with my other knee and I know it gets better. It's hard while you are going through it though. Praying for you. I'm 12 weeks from tkr.

• Posted

thank you Linda I could use all the prayers in the world right now appreciate it
  • Posted

Chico your posts have helped me and I want to say thanks to you and the group.  Almost 6 months out of TKR and life is great- walking at least 3 to 4 miles a day- back on my 🚴??? bike- some.  You posted something about walking that helped me.  I have hit my toe and face planted 4 times in the last month during my walk- which really shakes up my friend that walks with me.  My PT told me I was not stretching and now- all is great- no more face plants.  Your humor- along with others in this group helped me move from crying/ sleeping/ frustration to- wow this is a miracle.  Funny/ 2 of my falls were off the side walk and tripped on the same root.  I can get up more quickly than I fall.  Main component for TKR is to laugh and read positive posts from this group.  I don’t have much advice for anyone other than to read the suggestions of wize experienced patients and know you will screw up at times during your daily life/ Walks and laugh 😂 

🚴???🏊???🎉😂😊

• Posted

You have to find a way to get past the drama of this insanely brutal surgery and all the physical, mental and spiritual strain it puts on you.  Go to a club with friends and listen to some great music...preferably blues (sorry...I'm a blues bassist).  Kill zombies on xBox.  Read an engrossing novel.  Buy a pint of Jack, get wasted and fall asleep for 12 hours.  Whatever it takes.  Just put your mind in a place other than your knee.  It gets better when it gets better and no focusing on the pain will speed that up. 

Great book: Anatomy of an Illness: As Perceived by the Patient by Norman Cousins.  Diagnosed with an incurable something.  Locked himself in a hotel room with a projector and nothing but movies by the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy and more.  Basically LAUGHED HIMSELF back to health.  Classic story.  Take your mind and put it somewhere else...heal yourself.

• Posted

Now that is a well laid plan and I will begin today!  Best advice ever- thank you Chico 🎉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.