Hi..discectomy on 1st Nov

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've had a herniated L5/S1 disc since Feb this year which has not responded to treatment and I am due to have surgery next week. My surgeon says I will be back to normal after the op which would be fantastic but I would also like to be realistic about the outcome. No one is able to say when I will be able to drive etc...despite asking. I guess I will jst have to wait and see how I am after the op. Has anyone got any advice or tips for managing afterwards? Look forward to hearing from you :D :D

0 likes, 210 replies

210 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi c/daisy

good luck with the op i cannot offer any advise as i suffer with the cervical prolapses and still waiting for surgery!. but im sure you,ll be fine i think a lot of recovery depends on positive thinking and comman sense of course please let us know how it went and how your recovery is going. i wish you well good luck.gail :blackcat:

• Posted

Hi daisy,

I had spinal canal decompression and removal of L5/S1 disc protrusion three weeks and one day ago and I think the best advice I woulod give is also be positive. For me, since having the op the pain I had in my leg has ( for now ) gone though I am still on painkillers from the op.

From what I have read and my understanding is I can drive again when I can perform an emergency stop, which would make sense, but I am not going to rush to do anything, I walk three times a day, every day building up distance as and when I feel like it.

Hope it helps and do keep us informed....

Oh and just so u know, if I had to have the op again, I would in a second

Cheers

Russ

• Posted

Hi i had a discetomy in Jan this year i was 6 weeks before i could drive again hope your op goes well mine has not been very succesful i have had 2 ops now and it has left alot of scarring around the disc i have nerve root blocks but because of the scarring it can't reach the nerve that is trapped i am now waiting to go for a CT Milogram if there is anyone who has had this done i would be grateful of some feedback. dont mean to be gluemy :cry: and i hope everything goes well for you goodluck Pat
  • Posted

Thanks to you all for your advice and support and I will let you know how it all goes :D :D
  • Posted

How did it go? smile Hope you're not in too much pain and that the surgery was a resounding success smile
  • Posted

hi crazydaisy hope all went to plan you had a lot of people thinking of you yesterday . on the raod to recovery now eh . best of luck

gail

• Posted

Hi Daisy

Hope it went well for you yesterday, was thinking of u all day.....

look forward to hearing from you soon

Russ

• Posted

Hi Guys,

Well I've had the op and I was home the next day ( Friday). Yes, admittedly the op site is a bit sore but nothing compared to the sciatica I had. I was able to tolerate an hour's car journey home on Friday from the hospital so in my book it's not too bad . It's going to be a while before I know the effect it's had on the sciatica due to still being on Morphine but I've already started reducing this. I'm doing the physio excercises 4 times a day and walking short distances and just staying within my comfort zone as the physio advised. The staff were great at the hospital, I was ina right old state prior to the op but they were fantastic...they say nurses make the worst patients!! I'd just like to say thanks for everyone's support...it was lovely seeing the messages from you all today...it really helps...I'll keep you all posted as to how it's all going and take care to everyone with your health struggles... lots of love...jules xxx

• Posted

:hug: hi jules

so glad everything went well and your on the way to recovering, but dont push it eh, keep us up to date how things are progressing. so pleased for you. gail

• Posted

Jules thats fantastic!! I had my op last March and have been pain free ever since, the immediate relief of pain is amazing isnt it? Take your time hun, walk, walk, walk and I hope you have the same ecellent result as I did!!!

Very best wishes, Lorraine :D

• Posted

:D :D :D at last some good news, it is nice to hear of people getting their life back, gives the rest of us some hope well done.

gail

• Posted

Excellent!! Good news smile

(((((hugs)))))

• Posted

Hiya,

Well..everything is going great! I had the op site checked yesterday and there are no problems there and it will be rechecked on Friday. I'm taking it easy but I have managed to do some laundry today. Dont be alarmed...it was taken downstairs by my daughter...she put the washing powder on the worktop so I wouldn't have to bend( under strict instructions not to bend from the physio), put the washing into the machine with the grabber given to me by the Occupational Therapist, and project laundry was a resounding success! By the way...I do not know what I would do without my grabber at the mo... Another achievement is that I have reduced my Morphine down to 30mg daily from 60mg daily which in 5 days is pretty good. I'm starting to feel hopeful that the op has helped because I've not been able to reduce the Morphine this low in the past..oh happy,happy day :D :D :D .

Take care all, Jules xx

• Posted

ha ha way to go Jules... what your not sharing with the group is how the occy health person shows you how to get your pants on with your grabber ... its a fine art!!!

Keep taking it steady and dont be in to much of a rush with the domestics .. I remember how pleased I was to mop my wooden floor!!

Take care :D

• Posted

Hi Raine :D

The Occy health person just thought she'd let me and my grabber get to know each other when we came home from hospital...no instructions...no guide books....just me and my grabber together against the world...oh God..sounds pathetic I know but it is worth it's weight in gold..I'll have to give it a name....any suggestions anyone?

Anyway this experience is beginning to be a bit of a post-operative blog but it may be useful to others in the same position...

Yesterday was not good...I think project laundry was probably a bit too ambitious and I have to learn that I'm not quite up to being a domestic goddess just yet. But that time will come. I had quite a lot of pain yesterday probably from overdoing it Tuesday and possibly due to some withdrawal from the Morphine, but hopefully in a week's time I'll have been off the Morphine for a few days and feeling more like my old self. Things have been better today...one week since having surgery...and I have to say...it's all generally going in the right direction..and I aim to keep it that way..my new mantra is \" Take it easy\".

Take care everyone

Jules xx smile smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.