Hi..discectomy on 1st Nov

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've had a herniated L5/S1 disc since Feb this year which has not responded to treatment and I am due to have surgery next week. My surgeon says I will be back to normal after the op which would be fantastic but I would also like to be realistic about the outcome. No one is able to say when I will be able to drive etc...despite asking. I guess I will jst have to wait and see how I am after the op. Has anyone got any advice or tips for managing afterwards? Look forward to hearing from you :D :D

0 likes, 210 replies

210 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Guys,

Well I went back to see the practice nurse this morning and, guess what, the op site is infected!! So i've been put on high dose antibiotics, have an Iodide dressing over the site and will return next Tuesday to see my GP.

It's just one of those things though and I'm sure it'll all be fine soon. Hubby found out today that he can return to work next week ( been off with Hypertension) so I will be required to do a little bit more round the house.....so operation semi-domestic goddess armed with trusty grabber will commence on Monday!!

Take care,

Jules xx :lol: :lol:

• Posted

Hi Jules

Your rightit is good for everyone to see good news but as you said the aftermath is really hard too. The stitches I had inside had a large knot that was being pressured after my op and that was really worrying. I also had massive withdrawal symptoms coming off the morphine as I had been on such a huge dose for months. I totally get on with my life again now but if I get any pain / discomfort in my back I have a mini breakdown!!

That said everything and anything is better than the pain and soooo worth it all.

Jules be careful over the next few weeks if the house isnt how you would like it does it matter for a while?

Keep smiling :wink:

• Posted

Hi everyone :D

Just thought I'd update the blog. I saw my gp and practice nurse yesterday and the infection has cleared up :D :D I dont even need to wear a dressing over the op site. I am completely off the Morphine, the last withdrawal symptoms were on Monday which were quite unpleasant but I am feeling more like my old self. According to the doc I should be able to drive in approx 1-2 weeks providing I can drive the car safely and it doesn't cause too much discomfort. I am doing more around the house such as making dinner, loading the dishwasher & washing machine with my best friend the grabber and even a bit of ironing. I am continuing with my physio excercises x4 daily and taking it easy. My thoughts are now turning to Christmas and the shopping that needs to be done with 2 kids. I usually shop over the net but thids year I think I will take advantage of my time off..and , as I can only carry small amounts, will have to go Christmas shopping every day...oh Joy of Joys! :D

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

hi jules

wow your doing so well looks like your old life is returning but oh the ironing i havent been able to do that in 2 yrs (think ill take my time getting back to that one) and driving soon im so very pleased for you and i bet your pleased with yourself( you should be).... gail

• Posted

hi jules

thx for the message i am so glad that things have worked out for you :lol: it gives me hope,that things worked out so well and you are returning to your old self so quickley i wish you all the best and please keep us informed as to your progress.

as for me i am enjoying one of my few and far between breaks from the sciatic pain 9 months solid it lasted at the mo all i have is back pain before that it was almost 2 years of sciatic pain drove me crazy and all i get for the pain is co/codamol or tramadol with the odd diazepam thrown in, i think the diazepam is to make the doctor feel better because i get too few for them to be effective they give me 14 and expect them to last for weeks.im going back to the doc armed with this site and if he dont help me i will swing for him :x

best wishes to all

chris

• Posted

Hi Chris,

It's good to hear that you're having a break from the sciatica...I hope it will last a long,long time :D . I wish the GP's out there would be more uniform on the pain management given to people with chronic back pain, sciatica etc. My GP gave me a trial of Morphine in the early days of my back pain as there was a lot of muscle spasm...but it didn't work. This is when he put me on Morphine after several trials with increasingly stronger pain relief which didn't touch it. If my memory serves me right I think prescribers are encouraged not to use Morphine due to it's highly addictive nature( I think this may be in the NICE guidelines but I've certainly seen it on other statutory health related websites). Yes things are going well for me...I feel lucky to be in this position because so many other people are in a bad place with their experiences. I have \"pulled something in my lower back to the right side of the op site. It happened on THursday pm..I was reaching for a tin of pineapple from a lower cupboard in the kitchen. I didn't even bend my back...I bent my legs but I must have reached in an awkward way. This means that at the mo doing the ironing is really hard as picking up the iron hurts ( but I hate ironing anyway) but it's also sore to pick up the kettle ( and I love my cups of tea)....but hey it's mostly good so I can't really grumble. Looking forward to trying driving next week hopefully :D :D

Take care,

• Posted

sorry to hear you pulled your back that must be painful your gonna have to take it easy jules, forget the ironing and put your feet up you have our permission

take care

chris

• Posted

hi jules

you must be careful!!!! thats the problem we feel better so think oh i,ll just do this and then bang something happens . its still very early days for you , please take things easy, as for the iron i have had difficulty with that since injuring myself the weight of the iron and the repetative movements make it difficult and painful so my hubbys been doing that . and a tip about the kettle that i had off a client of mine, get a travel kettle their much smaller and lighter, or make your cuppa in the micro that way your only lifting your cup and no extra weight. may be worth a try. take care gail

• Posted

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice/permission to take it easy.....it is heeded. My back is starting to feel better again, and today I have cracked through another barrier....driving! I collected the kids from school today...something I have not been able to do on my own since March this year. It was great to drive my car..I had driven out in Canada/ Alaska in August but the car was automatic so there was no strain on my left leg. It's great to feel more independant and not rely on others..have had to do that for too long already.

Take care,

• Posted

hi jules

way to go brilliant for you , thats one thing im finding very difficult at the moment is having to rely on others, being a homecarer i usually do the caring and to have others having to do for me is frustrating to say the least, i cant even fetch a bottle of milk back from the shops as the weight of it causes so much pain and then i have to ask my hubby to fetch some home on his way back from work, the little things grr make me so angry with myself, earlier i couldnt cut the wrapper from the teabox as my arm and hand is so weak , cant wait to be able to do normal things.so pleased for you that your getting your independance back.gail

• Posted

HI Gail,

Yeah, in the same boat here...as a nurse it's usually me trying to help others...they say nurses make the worst patients!!! On a positive note the experience helps in terms of understanding and empathising with those in need and can only help me to be a better practitioner. The experience has also highlighted how important it is to look after myself and how important my wellbeing is to my family in terms of looking after the kids and helping them achieve their potential and being an active part of that, and how important my job is to me...not only in the financial sense but in terms of who I am and the help I can give to others.

Take care,

• Posted

I had L5/S1 surgery done for a badly herniated disc 4 years ago. I have since run 5 marathons and had no problems at all. It did take a while after the op for the numbness to disappear. I started driving (not on doctors advice) 4 days after my op and was back power walking before they even reved the steel staples
  • Posted

HI Miker,

That is AMAZING!! It's really spurrs me on to hear that your recovery has been so fantastic. Not that I was ever a runner before the disc prob but had joined a gym with the end goal of taking up running as a hobby so it's good to hear that this goal is achievable. I am hoping to join the Gym again after Christmas but I've started taking the walking up a level now and did a mile today which is a great achievement for me. This disc stuff makes you realise that your body needs to be taken care of and kept in good working order. Do you have any more tips? Is there anything else I could be doing?

Take care,

• Posted

:D wow miker

thats such good news, to hear that someone is doing so well obviously do the rest of us the world of good knowing that we can get on with normal lives(beginning to forget how) so looking forward to recovery and back to doing sports etc. thanks again for inspiring us. gail

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd update the blog as it's been 4 weeks today since I had the operation. Things are going really well ...I have a little numbness in my leg and toes, which is to be expected, and when I flex my leg I can feel the sciatic nerve ache..but this is all completely normal. I have discontinued the Diclofenac for about a week and alternate between Paracetamol and Co-Codamol, whichever I need. I continue to do the physio excercises x2 daily and am walking loads. I feel really well and healthy. The driving is going well and I am able to do most things, although not bending and lifting. I have found that the old habits have gone and new oness are now in place with posture, and bending using my knees and not my back. I had the Jodcentre Plus interview today and the chap told me he cannot do anything for me at the mo as I have work to go back to but I have his number should things go pearshaped with my health and then lose my job. I can't see this happening tho. I have also registered for my next Open University course which starts in Feb ( I'm doing a degree) so am looking forward to that. So, onwards and upwards with the rest of my life...I am so HAPPY !! :D :D

Take care,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.