Hi everyone having a hard time just feeling very down.

Posted , 11 users are following.

It has been nearly 4 weeks since I ruptured my right achiellis tendon. The first week was hard and I was very teary and then I started to feel better but now I find that my hubby has gone back to work I am feeling very down again. Getting frustrated is proberly most of the cause but I just want to crawl into a hole and hopefully when I crawl out this will be all over.

I am still NWB and because it's my right foot am unable to drive as well.

How is everyone else coping ? Any one feel like chatting .......

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If anyone needs a laugh, have a read of this that I just found on Facebook. Long story but I had tears from laughing, what a way with words.... Enjoy it as it is just what I needed ??

So, last week, something pretty tragic happened in our household. It's taken me until now to wrap my head around it and find the words to describe the horror. It started off simple enough - something that's probably happened to most of you.

Sometime between midnight and 1:30am, our puppy Evie pooped on our rug in the living room. This is the only time she's done this, so it's probably just because we forgot to let her out before we went to bed that night. Now, if you have a detective's mind, you may be wondering how we know the poop occurred between midnight and 1:30am. We were asleep, so how do I know that time frame?

Why, friends, that's because our Roomba runs at 1:30am every night, while we sleep. And it found the poop. And so begins the Pooptastrophe. The poohpocalypse. The pooppening.

If you have a Roomba, please rid yourself of all distractions and absorb everything I'm about to tell you.

Do not, under any circumstances, let your Roomba run over dog poop. If the unthinkable does happen, and your Roomba runs over dog poop, stop it immediately and do not let it continue the cleaning cycle. Because if that happens, it will spread the dog poop over every conceivable surface within its reach, resulting in a home that closely resembles a Jackson Pollock poop painting.

It will be on your floorboards. It will be on your furniture legs. It will be on your carpets. It will be on your rugs. It will be on your kids' toy boxes. If it's near the floor, it will have poop on it. Those awesome wheels, which have a checkered surface for better traction, left 25-foot poop trails all over the house. Our lovable Roomba, who gets a careful cleaning every night, looked like it had been mudding. Yes, mudding - like what you do with a Jeep on a pipeline road. But in poop.

Then, when your four-year-old gets up at 3am to crawl into your bed, you'll wonder why he smells like dog poop. And you'll walk into the living room. And you'll wonder why the floor feels slightly gritty. And you'll see a brown-encrusted, vaguely Roomba-shaped thing sitting in the middle of the floor with a glowing green light, like everything's okay. Like it's proud of itself. You were still half-asleep until this point, but now you wake up pretty damn quickly.

And then the horror. Oh the horror.

So, first you clean the child. You scrub the poop off his feet and put him back in bed. But you don't bother cleaning your own feet, because you know what's coming. It's inevitable, and it's coming at you like a freight train. Some folks would shrug their shoulders and get back in bed to deal with it in the morning. But you're not one of those people - you can't go to sleep with that war zone of poop in the living room.

So you clean the Roomba. You toss it in the bathtub to let it soak. You pull it apart, piece-by-piece, wondering at what point you became an adult and assumed responsibility for 3:30am-Roomba-disassembly-poop-cleanups. By this point, the poop isn't just on your hands - it's smeared up to your elbows. You already heard the Roomba make that "whirlllllllllllllllll-boop-hisssssssss" noise that sounds like electronics dying, and you realize you forgot to pull the battery before getting it wet. More on that later.

Oh, and you're not just using profanity - you're inventing new types of profanity. You're saying things that would make Satan shudder in revulsion. You hope your kid stayed in bed, because if he hears you talking like this, there's no way he's not ending up in prison.

Then you get out the carpet shampooer. When you push it up to the rug - the rug that started it all - the shampooer just laughs at you. Because that rug is going in the trash, folks. But you shampoo it anyway, because your wife loved that damn rug, and you know she'll ask if you tried to clean it first.

Then you get out the paper towel rolls, idly wondering if you should invest in paper towel stock, and you blow through three or four rolls wiping up poop. Then you get the spray bottle with bleach water and hose down the floor boards to let them soak, because the poop has already dried. Then out comes the steam mop, and you take care of those 25-ft poop trails.

And then, because it's 6am, you go to bed. Let's finish this tomorrow, right?

The next day, you finish taking the Roomba apart, scraping out all the tiny flecks of poop, and after watching a few Youtube instructional videos, you remove the motherboard to wash it with a toothbrush. Then you bake it in the oven to dry. You put it all back together, and of course it doesn't work. Because you heard the "whirlllllllllllllll-boop-hissssssss" noise when it died its poopy death in the bathtub. But you hoped that maybe the Roomba gods would have mercy on you.

But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. After spending a week researching how to fix this damn $400 Roomba without spending $400 again - including refurb units, new motherboards, and new batteries - you finally decide to call the place where you bought it. That place called Hammacher Schlemmer. They have a funny name, but they have an awesome warranty. They claim it's for life, and it's for any reason.

So I called them and told the truth. My Roomba found dog poop and almost precipitated World War III.

And you know what they did? They offered to replace it. Yes, folks. They are replacing the Roomba that ran over dog poop and then died a poopy, watery death in the bathtub - by no fault of their own, of course.

And remember - don't let your Roomba run over

dog poop

• Posted

I totally get being down...I have had plenty of highs and lows as well.  It's been helpful to do some of the activities that I enjoyed before even if it takes twice as long, things like making a delicious meal for msyelf.  I have become quite handy cooking from an office chair minus one little chopping snafu.  I also make little goals for myself each day which help me feel productive.  My dogs have also helped me stay sane; I'm not sure if talking to yourself is more weird than talking to dogs, but I suppose that's whad I'd be doing if I didn't have dogs.

I ruptured my achilles about 3 weeks ago in a soccer game and went the non-surgical route based on my doctors recommendations.  This was a really tough decision; my top concern was rerupturing, but my doctor said the most current stats were very similar.

Today I got my cast off and am now sporting a sweet new walking boot with 4 wedges.  I am using crutches, but I try to put a little weight on my bad leg and will hopefully increase the amount of weight over the next few days.  It feels nice to rest my "foot" on the ground, but the boot is quite heavy and bulky.

It has been really helpful to relate to others going through this so thank you to everyone for sharing!!  Also the poop roomba story was hilarious I was just chatting with my husband that a roomba might help us out with our shedding dogs.  

• Posted

Hi

We are pretty much at the stage stage. I two am just started to put a little weight in injured leg as I know I am ready for it even though I haven't been back to ortho yet. The leg feels good when I do. I too still use the crutches and mainly out out down for balance. I know my limits and I won't push to far.

Keep me posted in things. Thanks for the reply

• Posted

Hello

I just rupture my right Achilles on 07/27 playing tennis. I had my surgery on 08/02 and was schedule to go on a cruise to Bermuda on 08/06. The night before the cruise, I went to the emergency room and had them crack my cast on both side. That gave me great relief. While on the cruise ship, I had a mobile wheel chair, a knee scooter and crutches. My family really was a big help and I stay very medicated for the pain and swelling but had a great time.

Long story short , its 08/13 and I am able to drive and use my injury foot. Let me know if you would like to here more.

Larry

• Posted

Yes want to hear more. I had surgery in May and I am still in cast
    • Posted

I had my cast cracked on both sides for circulation and it allowed me to move my toes better. But now I have removed it but keep the wound protected with the cotton wrap and ace bandages. I also use the back part of the cast with an ace bandage lightly to keep it stable and protected. I can control any swelling by iceing and flexing my toes and ankle. 

I really find this working to recovery much better for me.

I will keep my progress posted .

• Posted

Had good news from the doctor - some improvement .. and she didn't hurt me this time! ;-P

She's started applying thecream that eats the 'bad stuff' (fibrina in Italian... am guessing it's some kind of pus like substance) ... But the tube it says to apply 3x a day .. whereas I go to the hospital just twice a week .. sound pointless to anyone?

I'm off to watch some Olympics - some great 'battles' so far!

I loved seeing the 21-yr old Italian clay pigeon shooter do so well against such seasoned competition (they all seemed to be at least 50).

And a Chinese runner - think the 400m - did great in the qualifiers.

And being British, I'm ever so proud of our cyclists :-)

Happy Sunday, all!

• Posted

Great to find a forum with people going through the same.

Ruptured mine tendon on the 28th July, had surgery the 29th. Stayed in hospital for 2 days to control pain

I was back to the hospital Thursday just past and had stitches removed and foot slightly angled. Pain the next was a little bad. I am back in 2 weeks to be put into a boot with heels raisers. Which will be reduced over a 4 week period. I won't be able to bare any weight on it until the 8week period.

Anyone that has been in a boot do you still have swelling. Thinking if hiring the knee scooter ( Larry can you recommend this)

I am losing it having to sit around resting

• Posted

Hiya

I had the operation on 8 June and still suffer from swelling a bit .. particularly in the evening unsurprisingly. 

I've been using a wine cooler ice bag .. it's great because first I 'rest' it on the foot and pull the straps across it  and I put my foot in it when it's cooled down on the outside - it's too cold to put the foot in it straight away!

I have also started carrying a small bag around the house - it really helps!I didn't get a scooter ... and I wish I had - my shoulders and hands have ached quite a bit from using the crutches ... and that's just hobbling from kitchen to bedroom to balcony to bathroom to bed ;-P.

Have you got any bright ideas on how to clean the boot .. without having to take it off for more than say an hour (I have to still sleep in mine).

Don't know about anyone else, but mine's become a bit stinky!

• Posted

Yeah def get one of those walkers. Not sure if I have seen them in Austraila. I hire a wheelchair to to make it a little easier for me to get around instead of having to hop around on the crutches

Hope you find one, good luck

• Posted

Yes I have a loan of a wheelchair to get around when shopping. As crutches can be so dangerous. Only takes a drop of water on the floor and you've slipped.

I feel like I'm wishing my life away to to get to the end of this recovery journey

• Posted

I am not in the boot yet. Can't wait to get into one it's another step closer to getting to the end of this.

Do you open the strips of the boot while having it elevated

• Posted

Hello

By the 2nd week I just sat with my leg out of the lounge while hubby washed the lining of the boot and put in the sun so it dried quick.

I just got a washer and wiped over my foot and then rubbed some baby power over my foot and between my toes, and that felt so good. I am nearly at the 4 week mark and I have been taking my boot off for the last week every day to shower. I started wrapping foot in a towel and testing on side of bath next to shiwer but now foot feels good so I just leave it out but I am very careful. I sit in a shower chair all the time while showering and put boot on as soon as I finished before I move off the chair.

So far so good.

• Posted

The boot is a lifesaver - at least you can itch etc.!

You'll have to wear one of those special socks .. that makes the foot feel more swollen!

I  don't  open the straps during the day - ended up being too much of a faff as I move around more in the day. But I do open up the straps over the foot (not the ones around the leg) in the evening after dinner.In the first couple of weeks I didn't do my exercises religiously .. don't make the same mistake as me! Seriously, this exercise really eases the pressure/encourages blood flow: Sitting in bed: raise your leg up  (90 degrees) and hold it there for a minute  .. then drop it down (down the side of the bed so the foot almost touches the floor) and hold for 1 min,  then rest leg on bed for 1 min and repeat ... I now do this regularly throughout the day and I've definitely noticed a difference.

• Posted

Last night I was having waves of heat running in my leg and foot then it would go. not painful just annoying. When I had the leg elevated. The sock I have to wear on my other leg to prevent clots is annoying too
    • Posted

So your 4 weeks post op? You are doing really good. The freedom of air in the boot is really what I am looking forward to.
    • Posted

Yes, the knee scooter is very helpful. I also can keep the crutches rested on the handle bar. I went to Best Buy yesterday and I got out with my crutches and took my knee scooter out and rolled that baby around the store. If you start to have to must fun with it , you can sit down on the seat and take a break.

I purchased my off of Amazon.

Thanks for the news everyone.

Stay positive.

• Posted

Yeah on Tuesday I will be at 4 weeks. I pushed for the boot straight away as I hate the feeling of a cast, I also didn't have Surgury either.

I have not been told to do any sort of exercise just to be no weight bearing for 4 weeks but I have started to put a little weight in leg the last few days and feels good. I also don't wear the sock thing on either leg ?? Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I can pump air into the lining of the moonboot but I haven't used the air too much at all. I find just doing up the Velcro straps is tight enough

• Posted

Hey Sunflower, we are around the same stage.  This past Friday (8/12th) I had my stiches removed.  It hurt some but it was bearable.  Now, I noticed that I have a stinging feeling sometimes when I move my foot.  I got another cast put back on and am back to NWB activities for the next 2 weeks and then off to see the doctor again.  On that visit, I too will be getting the boot with heel raisers (3 to be exact).  

Now, I have worn the boot in the past without a cast and had no swelling - not sure how its going to go this go round but, I gotta tell you.  After going through this NWB stuff, I am ready to step down on the ground and if it has to be in a boot, so be it!

Right now I am using a walker with wheels and all this hopping around is wreaking havoc on my left side (had surgery on my right foot) so the thought of actually putting my foot on the ground, even in a boot, sounds good to me!  As for the scooter, I have one on the way as we speak.  My doctor wrote a prescription for it and it is supposed to be delievered to me soon.  I cannot wait.  Sometimes I wonder if the crutches would have been a better option than this walker.

Holddddd onnn!  I am 16 days post op and counting.  I'm going to start doing some upper body exercises today.  Sitting in bed every day drives me nuts and I want to make sure not to gain weight.  It is soo hard to just sit around, trust me I know, but each day that passes we get closer to our goal, which is to be able to walk! 

• Posted

I'm also feeling stinging sensation when I move my toes and can feel pain up the back of my leg but they said that's to be expected as they've changed the angle of the foot

I'm putting no weight on this foot unless I'm told to by the doc. I know of a guy that had this injury thought his leg was stronger then it was and he re rupture having to start his recovery all again

• Posted

Glad it was only annoying! 

The weirdest thing for me is when it feels like something is running down your leg... but nothing is!

I took a photo last time .. and although there's less redness/swelling, the hole looks much bigger :-(.

I'm also beginning to lose trust in the doctors ... last time the doc. didn't clean out the bad stuff, didn't put the cream on, and told me to return in a week ... last time I waited a week there was no improvement and the cleaning hurt like hell ... also showed a photo to a friend who's a doc., she said she could see the stuff that should be cleaned out ... as it hinders the healing process ... so why didn't my doc :-(.

I'm going to get a second opinion - in the hope of allaying my concerns - fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.