Hi everyone I've had trouble with my ears for a month or so.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor seems to think I it's ETD and has given me a course of antibiotics.If anything I feel worse since taking them.The next step according to the doc is steroid nasal spray.Has anyone had any success with this.I know I haven't had this very long but I feel terrible.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have used both antibiotics and nasal steroid spray as well as prednisone....nothing helps....just time for a verrrrrrrrrry long process of healing.....and lots and lots and lots of patience! sad
    • Posted

Hi Peter.I'm new to this nasty condition and it's difficult to believe something so simple can cause so much discomfort. I'm not known for patience but I've got a feeling I'm gonna need lots.x😕

• Posted

I've had this horrible condition almg with screeching ringing in my ears for three months....and it is only very very very very gradually resolving. It's two steps forward and one step back. Just when I think its starting to leave, the next day it's unbearable. This is the most difficult experience I've had in my life and unless someone experiences it, they have no clue how debilitating it can be. Takes LOTS of time, patience and prayers (been praying desperate prayers over this!) I hope and pray you don't have to wait so long for your ears to improve. 

• Posted

Hi Peter. That's what my ent said 1-3 months as it us a long process and said he has seen many people with the same issues I have had and there hearing returned. I have no headaches or ringing in my ear and my voice now Doesn't seem to echo as much as it did. Said my eardrum was fine and no infection and fluid is gone and what I'm having is pressure inside my ear not allowing my ears to pop. Do it on and off throughout the day but not to hard. If only have if it would return I would be so happy and not having tubes put in. Too many horror stories and my ent there are not always 100% effective. Did you get your full hearing back and how did it happen. Were you able to pop your ears or just one day you could hear better. I'm asking for people who etd cleared up. Nd how it happened. Yes this is miserable and unsettling to my everyday life. I try to keep busy not to think about it. Please share your thoughts and opinions. Thanks for listening.smile

• Posted

For a very long time I could only pop my left ear but not my right—it always felt inflamed and congested. For a few weeks I was trying to pop it every half hour! My ENT said to stop doing that. Now only in the last few days have I been able to pop open the right ear, but at night it gets congested and inflamed (and the ringing becomes worse). So as I did,...it is a VERY slow process of healing. I tried everything — decongestants, steroids, antihistamines, netti pots, saline spray, humidifier, massage, etc....nothing helped. Just time and prayers. For me the worst part was the "tea kettle" scream in my ears continually! 😩 That is enough to drive a persone insane! 

My ENT said I could try the tubes in my ears, but I declined....just didn't feel right about having him poke a hole in my eardrum! I decided to just wait it out. I hope yours clears up soon. 

• Posted

I agree Peter no tubes for me. This has made be irritable and not enjoying life as he has me so down in the dumps. Can't imagine what the ringing must be like . I feel for you but think after reading your post I'm going to stop trying to pop my ears as I feel it may make the ears worse. He put me on 40mg prednisone for 1 week and 20 the following week along with the steroid spray. He says it could take up to 12 weeks as utbus a slow process. Love to wake up one morning and have my full hearing back. I'm trying to stay positive as every person is different. We won't be flying anymore as we will be driving to NY to see my kids and grandchildren as not going through this again. Wants to see me the last week of Aug but it gotton just a slight better since I stepped off the pkane as that was a nightmare with a bold and bronchitis and my husband has the same as me but not as bad as me. Please keep in touch as I will update on progress and would like to hear your progress to. smile

• Posted

I had this with washing machine buss like sound. And it did resolve. Took months. I was so grateful then recently got a sinus infection and now the stupid thing is back with dizzy. And i was on antibiotics for 14 days. Went off three days ago. Its so mean to get this. My ent told me last time. It takes a lot of time and the bidy does quirky things. Never even got an mri nothing,  im typing this and feeling so deflated this damn thing is happening again,
    • Posted

How awful for you.I don't have to many strange noises in my ears just the horrible pressure and headaches.Oh and the popping noises when I move my jaw.I think the worst thing for me is the dizziness and feeling sort of spaced out.Hope it gets better for you soon.xxx

• Posted

I know how your feeling. I came home with cold and bronchitis on plane and my ear is still full but better than when I stepped off plane. I was told by my ent it takes 1-3 months to resolve as slow process. Bsxwas tikd to keep up with steroid spray for nose and put me on a high dose of prednisone and follow with him the end of aug. he said now I have no fluid just pressure and when I blow my nose I feel wants break through but don't want to force too hard as I sterilized water and salt mixture Nd do throughout the day to keep

My nose moist. He assured me it would come back and hope so as it us a long process. I'm going to think positive

• Posted

Hi Ann it's comforting to know other people have these problems you don't feel so alone.Can't quite believe this is so horrible.Every time I take an antibiotic I get a horrible headache.I have to be careful with painkillers as I have ulcerative colitis and I really don't need a flare up at the moment.I really hope things get better for you and me.and like you I will try to think positive.x

• Posted

Having colitis makes it worse with heachaches and must be horrible for you as the only thing I have going on is the pressure in ear as it doesn't want to push through the tube. He said the fluid is gone and hope this resolves soon. Never heard of etd until I got it from flying home with a cold. Wish I could rewind the clock back. lol anc my husband has the same thing but not as bad as mine as we came home sick.

• Posted

Hi Ann Same as you never heard of etd.I think this started with a virus but I've read it can be affected by acid reflux and with all my digestive problems who knows. I'm on my last day of antibiotics won't be sorry to see the last of them.Have you used steroid nasal spray and did you get any bad side effects.I had to take some pred a couple of years ago for a flare of my colitis and I had a very bad reaction.Went a bit gaga. So I'm a bit nervous about anything to do with steroids.Like you I often wish I could turn back the clock and get rid of my colitis this ear problem is the last thing I needed. Poor you to have your hubby sick as well

• Posted

Yes it sucks. I have been using the steroid nose sprays 3X a day and on prednisone of 40 mg 1x day and 20 mg next week. I feel fine except for my left plugged ear but have it in right to but mostly affecting my left ear as I try to keep busy not to think about it and I want this gone before my daughter's baby shower I'm giving her end of aug. I have no dizziness or side effects and don't think any antibodics will help. If this is not gone by the end of the prednisone dose I will call ent to see what he says as last week he told me I have to give it time as it is a slow process and could take as long 1-3 months and told me he has seen many patients with the same problem as me and there hearing returned as he did give me hope. I feel for the people that have ringing in their ears as I can't imagaine how hard that must be but I don't ear my voice echoing anymore just the fullness and clogging. Maybe it is slowly trying to resolve. I hope so and I also feel bad for you and all your problems and hope you will be on way to recovery Soon. Did you ever get your full or partial hearing back yet. Happy Memorial Day!!smile

• Posted

Im using acupuncture to  try and help this. Only went twice so far. I did the antibiotics, sorays, steam..etc..
    • Posted

Hi lisa.I've only tried antibiotics so far.Dr said she would get me to try steroid nasal spray if antibiotics don't work.I'd be interested in hearing if acupuncture works for you.Please keep me posted and good luck.x

• Posted

I will let you know. I got sick in between visitis with a sinus thing as the weathers so irratic. but I will let you know.  They are very caring and confident it will work. Thats a good feeling at least. They did exolain you need to balance the energy face (sinus), neck (posture and such) and kidney and liver. So there way is a whole  body thing. And not to drink cold liquids. Stay with warm ones with some lemon, a little honey (raw one) and if i want fresh ginger.. and some heat gel packs one each side of my jaw in front if the ears if it gets too uncomfortable.  I will say thought my right ooened still pops sometimes but feels a bit better. So working in the left ear now. Not a good idea to read too many forum s on this etd thing i did learn that haha.
    • Posted

Hi lisa thank you so much for the advise. Keep feeling low about this so it helps to hear from people in the same boat.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.