Hi friends Hope you are well. The doc informed me that my FEV1 is 66%.

Posted , 8 users are following.

The only symptom I have is breathlessness nothing and it lasted for two days. The doc prescribed inhaler for one week and check up.

Can you tell if I am misdiagnosed?

Can the symptom go away?

Thanks for the help

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I have never heard of anyonyone with COPD who is not a smoker/ ex smoker unless its the family genetic COPD. My first breathing test my FEV1 was 56%  a few month later it was 67% !( big difference) consultant says could be that i had a bit of a chest infection when the first was done. He also said that at 67% I was 'mild' COPD and that I should not use my salbutamol inhaler unless I was breathless as my lungs need to work for themselves as much as possible. for as long as possible. However I dont seem to be affected as badly as some others at the same FEV1 level. Hope this helps

• Posted

I have Chris,  not many I admit but there are a few.  However, most of those have either been subjected to second hand smoke for a long period ie from parents,  or have worked in certain industries.  The textile one springs to mind though there are others if you google it. 

Also copd is very common in the third world and long before ciggies were invented.  Copd has been found in preserved bodies from thousands of years ago.    It can be cause by open cooking fires in huts which is the cause of many cases in the 3rd world. .  x

• Posted

Very interesting hypercat...love trivia. I've heard of lots of folks getting COPD and didn't smoke. The more you talk to folks...the more you hear about it.
    • Posted

True but if you find anyone with emphysema related COPD who's never smoked or been exposed to smokers, that will be a rarity.   I've been told of people with emphysema from long term asthma, but it's always turned out that they smoked at one time as well.

• Posted

Here we go again...if you want to get really technical and correct me more....it's actually hard to find anyone who hasn't at least been around a smoker bc that's just how common it was for years. But that doesn't necessarily mean they sucked in second hand smoke on a regular basis. As negativity towards smoking gets more popular those numbers should actually decrease until one day it could be narrowed down statistically. That's really such a good thing for our grandchildren. Even for me...the other day I saw a man just openly smoking and it seemed strange to me...that's just how rarely I am around it anymore or even see it. Hell. It's almost a crime!! I'm so thankful I quit finally and grateful that vaping helped it be such an easy transition....that and a COPD DIAGNOSIS..lol !!! That scared me straight.
  • Posted

ive been diagnosed wth COPD today and I'm scared to death
    • Posted

Wow jenny56889,

Looks like you made an account on here...you should start your own page so that everyone can help you and can see it. You've actually just tagged in under someone else's discussion and I want people to see your statement bc we know you are scared. It's a very scary thing to hear that you have COPD. EMMEDIATLY you think it's a death sentence and your days are numbered. Jenny...you can live a long time with COPD as long as you take your meds

• Posted

Oops sorry....I sent that too fast..

As long as you take your meds Jenny and don't smoke you can stay right where you are statistically for a long time, even tho it is a progressive disease. Go back to the home page on here and find where it says start a discussion so that everyone under COPD will be alerted to your posting. This is a very informative and good place to talk and share and learn. Let me know if u have trouble.....

Ladyjack51

• Posted

Quite right,  use the correct medication, don't smoke AND learn breathing exercises at rehab

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.