Hi has anyone had to have revision surgery of the Total Hip Replacement due to infection?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a left THR in 2016. I have pain the more I bend and do things. had tests and a needle aspiration done and surgeon says that I have an infection and need a revision surgery. has anyone had an infection and subsequent revision surgery? I'm doing research and scaring myself about it.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Karen,

So sorry to hear about the apparent infection. That's one of those risks that we can only hope we escape ... Yeah, the treatment for infection can be really disruptive ... did your surgeon talk about a "spacer" ? That's the pain in the rear, from what I can tell ... the treatment that requires the temporary "spacer."

I don't know if this at all helps ...but if there is an infection, you do need to treat it ... and mostly that means taking old device out ... treating the area all around the thigh ... antibiotics ... then placing in a new device.

If you are unconvinced by this diagnosis, go for a second opinion, get another view ... Do not worry about insulting your surgeon. They would go for a second opinion if they were in your situation. Surgeons have different protocols for treatment, so if the revision plan from this doc sounds brutal, visit someone else--there are surgeons who specialize in revision. These surgeons don't only do revisions, but they do a lot of revisions. Sorry to hear of this ...

I'll share one other point ... Many people needing revision go to a different surgeon than the one who performed their original surgery. There seems to be a thing, that sometimes original surgeons are just uncomfortable, rude, or emotionally blocked about facing up to a surgery of theirs that turned bad. The new revision surgeon has no such baggage.

• Posted

Thank you. yes he's talking about putting in a temporary antibiotic infused implant. then going back for the second permanent implant 6 weeks or so later

This is a different surgeon but when I asked if there were other options, he said.. " I don't think so?" which didn't fill me with a lot of confidence.

• Posted

Hi Karen, that happened to my mother. She had the hip op, she then had an infection and had the hip removed, she then waited for the area to heal, she was on high strength antibiotics. She then had the new hip put in.

• Posted

She was fine after that, but the antibiotic tetracyclin was a bit of a pain. They put tetracyclin beads into the wound. She did have her shoe built up while waiting for the new hip.

• Posted

yikes! well I'm glad she healed well after all that. So she could walk on the temporary spacer? Do you know how long it was before she had the final surgery? Thank you.

• Posted

She used to carry on while waiting for the second surgery. I cannot remember how long she waited possibly three months. University of Bristol, my alma mater, came out with something this year about doing the whole thing in a single stage though.

• Posted

wow that's a long time. I am in the US they still do the two stage here. Seems like a lot to expect from a person to go through. Maybe I need to make an earlier trip to the UK ! we're planning on a trip in the next year or two.

• Posted

I think she did have problems healing as she had an autoimmune disease too which the doctors reckoned had slowed down the healing as she was quite weak. Have your doctors heard of the single stage system? It was mentioned last year so is quite a new idea. I don't know how advanced it is.

• Posted

I'm researching it. I think there has been some case studies, but I don't know if any surgeons are performing the one stage surgery yet. Bristol looks so beautiful.

• Posted

It will be interesting to know how they are getting on, they sounded very upbeat about it, but I suppose they would, wouldn't they?

• Posted

I have had 2 revisions, not due to infection, due to surgical errors.

Recovery from revision is just the same as the initial THR, unless you are fitter than you were, in which case it can be much easier - it was for me this last time.

• Posted

Thank you. I think I'm stronger but nevertheless not looking forward to another 2 surgeries. I wish they could do it in one shot.

• Posted

Rocketman, they are not sure if the cause of the infection is due to an improper fit post in my femur. the bone hasn't grown around the un-cemented post. I had the THR years ago and it's never been right. I'm only 52 and I want to enjoy life. I'm praying that this time it works flawlessly!

• Posted

good luck - I cant add much value apart from a hand hold. Really hope it is successful x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.