Hi has anyone had to have revision surgery of the Total Hip Replacement due to infection?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a left THR in 2016. I have pain the more I bend and do things. had tests and a needle aspiration done and surgeon says that I have an infection and need a revision surgery. has anyone had an infection and subsequent revision surgery? I'm doing research and scaring myself about it.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Karen, so you don't know that you have an infection. Not fusing to bone is often just a technical error on the surgeon's part ... the point you made that the surgery/device never felt right ... is a common refrain about people undergoing standard revisions ... By standard revisions, I mean revisions without any infection issue ...

So if I'm reading you right, let's hope you don't have an infection. I think that would be confirmed before surgery ... not totally sure ... But yes, for standard revisions, the surgeon has to see the condition of the bone and the device that there's and come up with a plan to fit your body.

There are lots of excellent results from revisions.

• Posted

Hi Robert

They did a needle aspiration of the joint and it came back negative for bacteria. However the white blood count was high so surgeon said that indicates infection. I don't know if I believe that. I would love to just have one more surgery instead of going through the trauma of two surgeries so close together.

• Posted

rocket man I have been told my cups moved as I had a trip will need it 're done any advise

• Posted

Karen I have had a hip revision in the USA. I strongly recommend you get 2 second opinions before proceeding. Also you need to go to someone who specializes in hip revisions not a regular hip replacement. Have you been checked for mettalosis? Having bloodwork should really help identify infection as a source. You should also have a bone scan of hip and MRI and aspiration of hip. I had all of this done prior to my hip revision. I received excellent care and very pleased with my surgeon. Wishing you all the best!

• Posted

hi karen how did your hip feel when you first got the infection mine dont feel right hurts in grion and side of hip but xrays ok wondering if i have infection xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.