Hiatal hernia with chest pain and trouble swallowing

Posted , 14 users are following.

Anyone else experiences chest pain that radiates to the back with some trouble swallowing?

I have a small hernia as well as GERD.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey there!

I do! And it's terrible. At times is like even breathing is an issue!

• Posted

YES .... 100 times over, yes.

It is terrible at times. When things are acting up I get a dull, ache at the base of my sternum that leads to sharp pains in my chest, sharp pains in my upper back, as well as my shoulders and even the sides of my neck. Everything becomes tender. Even the ribs near the base of the sternum become painful to press as though they were bruised from getting hit.

I had an endoscopy a few months back and was diagnosed with a 2cm hiatal hernia as well as inflammation in the esophagus. My GI did say that when the esophagus is inflamed from reflux, it can cause referred pain to other parts of the chest/back.

Furthermore, I will often experience what I can best describe as a "kink" in my esophagus and throat. It feels like a thud or pop or misfire when swallowing. It makes the whole swallowing motion odd and difficult. It is worse when I lay on my back or right side. It is completely non-existent when laying on my left side. Is this because while laying on the left side, the stomach is below the esophagus and thus the hernia is not pushing further into the diaphragm? I am not sure but I think so.

My GI doctor also said that a small hernia should cause much discomfort outside of the reflux it makes us more prone to having. I am not so sure. I am currently on my second bout of Omeprazole 40mg/day and am in consistent pain daily. A nurse at the GI office said I am in a flare-up.

So in summation to your original questions, YES. smile

• Posted

Thanks NC ...this makes me feel much better. I am on ezomeprazole 40mg daily but the discomfort never goes away completely. I ignore it at times but even in the middle of a conversation with friends and family,my mind keeps searching for the pain. 😔

• Posted

There is a mix compound in the US the GI can give you for flare-ups.  They call it a GI cocktail, it is a compound mix of lidocaine, mylanta and benadryl that you swish, gargle, then swallow.  You would be amazed at how it helps when flare-ups are really bad but it can make you drowsy.  It will help you rest so you aren't sitting up with the burning all night.  I am so sorry you are so sick.  The symptoms can be torturing and people who have never had it just do not understand.  

• Posted

When I'm having the hiatal hernia pain it feels like it is radiating into my breast and it's pretty scary. Always think I'm having a coronary 😟

I too sleep on my left side as I feel helps my symptoms. There's alot if belching as well Urrgghhh! Horrible I tell you!

• Posted

Belching, yes. This also! I will drink some water and belch 3-4 times as if I just drank a liter of soda. It is not every time I drink, but enough to be annoying.
    • Posted

I was able to drink water comfortably but for about a week now it makes me feel bloated. Stopped all sodas.
    • Posted

I feel the breast into my breast too and always think maybe it's my heart!

This is a very sad way of living. Always worried about what is wrong with me.what is it that my doctors are missing? It's horrible!

• Posted

Yes christelle the breast pain are worrying. I told my doc that during my last visit but when he checked and pressed I felt no pain. Plus the pain smack in the middle of the breasts stresses me out totally and think that it's my heart too!!

• Posted

Even though reflux is horrible .............and all the symptoms are rotten and of course I don’t want anyone else to suffer.........in a weird way when I read peoples accounts of all their symptoms -I find it  really reassuring to know that I’m not alone and that other people are suffering the exact same symptoms as me, and it’s all “par for the course” when one is unlucky enough to have reflux. 

I just wish I knew the cause and why I’ve suddenly got it aged 61.  Also, so many people talk about trying to get off their PPI’s and so I made a decision to stop my Omeprazole earlier this week................BIG MISTAKE!!

The heartburn, pain in the middle of my back, swallowing issues and burping has come back with a vengeance!!

I’m obviously back on them again and I’ve decided that the alleviation of all my symptoms far outweighs the risks of being on them!! 

Good luck to everyone.............and incidentally........before I suffered from this I’d never even realised it was a thing.   We’ve all heard of diabetes, epilepsy, arthritis and hundreds of other illnesses but gastric reflux seems to be way off the radar and is just unknown  to most people..........unless you’re one of us suffering from it of course!! 

• Posted

It is normal to find comfort knowing one is not alone. I feel the same thing, as do many, I'm sure smile

And yes, isn't it odd indeed how it suddenly becomes an issue? I had always heard people talk about "heartburn" as something that shows up occasionally when you eat too much chilli at a barbecue. What we are dealing with never even was on my radar.

And like you, my symptoms exploded into my life without any warning. And I am 35, athletic/weightlifter. Never could I have imagined this happening. So yes, it is very shocking when it happens. Thankfully we do have treatment options and forums such as these smile

• Posted

I'm 42 and my symptoms started last year in Dec. I first had tests done in January and one of the main concern was that my ph was 5. I stop having acidic food. I also used to do mild work outs at home using dumbbells and stretches. It is said that hernia pain gets worse if you lift weights?

• Posted

My symptoms get worse when I exercise. Even something as simple as running on my treadmill throws me north... I burp a lot during runs and I get a lightheaded for a few seconds.

And yes this forum has helped me a lot.

Not only do I know i am not alone but I get more information and treatments options.

It's really a therapy!

• Posted

I stopped excersing. But when I lift weight of any kind the it unbearable. Even when I pick my niece of 2yrs up!
    • Posted

A hiatal hernia can certainly be aggravated by heavy lifting or anything that compresses your lower abdomen, such as sit-ups, crunches etc.

My GI doctor warned me against doing heavy flat-bench, chest presses as it demands a certain amount of abdominal tensing which can further force the stomach up through the diaphragm. It is true that I have felt worse when lifting even light weights depending on the motion/position.

And even something like running can cause discomfort, yes. I play basketball quite a bit and have noticed some discomfort during games as well.

Certainly discouraging at times but not debilitating!

• Posted

So it's best not to lift a thing heavy one can help it. 😕

• Posted

Hi Jane, yes it suddenly started with me aged 70 last dec.with me it started as a cough ,I was told I had asthma,and was given inhalers to no avail.The G.P started me on omeprasol ,which stopped the cough but then all hell broke out ,I was very ill with being sick after my food. Symptoms were due to having gastritis and a 3cm hiatus hernia confirmed in January.But the pain of heartburn etc is horrific .I was given stronger and stronger PPIs then ranatidine and gaviscon.But they have not totally alleviated all the symptoms .If you have read my recent post you will have read about coming of it gradually,then maybe you could try coming off the omeprasol again but very slowly .Thats what I’m doing now.as I’m also on Nexium and ranatidine,I’ve started with the latter.ive already have osteoporosis so long term PPIs in not good and all the other side effects you may get.Say, miss two doses per week to start with and treat any heartburn with the apple cider vinegar or the other tips I have mentioned .It may take 6mth to come off them but worth a try.But I’m afraid to say that all this is due to age!!😟

• Posted

Hi Franbrew,

Thank you so much for your helpful advice  and for taking the trouble to write. The problems I’ve had for the past week is a really bad back ache which starts inbetween my shoulder blades but eventually travels down to my lower back, it’s a burning pain, I’ve also been getting hot flushes ( for the last few months) so and I went to my GP who is has put me on Pantoprazole 40 mgs and I’m stopping the Omeprazole. She thought the back ache could be referred pain from the reflux and I think the hot flushes could have been caused by the Omeprazole. 

Not sure if anyone else feels the same but i hate going to the Doctor because I feel as if they assume I’m either a hypochondriac or possibly exaggerating or just anxious or silly.

I’m pretty sure that if they were the ones feeling the symptoms that they’d realise that it’s made even worse when it’s met with cynicism ( real or imagined by me ??) by professionals . 

On the surface everyone thinks I’m completely fine because I pretend I am, but it is a “pain in the proverbial”  isn’t it!! 

Thanks again and good luck to everyone 

Kind regards Jane 

• Posted

Oh my gosh.  I get that pain everyday.  Sometimes it keeps me up all night.  I take Dexilant.  It is expensive so I didn’t renew the prescription and wound up in the ER.  I am having surgery next week.  It’s really scary.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.