Hiatal hernia with chest pain and trouble swallowing

Posted , 14 users are following.

Anyone else experiences chest pain that radiates to the back with some trouble swallowing?

I have a small hernia as well as GERD.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi christelle 

yes I too have these symptoms.they are a classic when you have a hiatus hernia and GERD.I’m also on 40mg Nexium and 300mg ranatidine.Not always helping me. I think they deplete all the acid in stomach and you still need some stomach acid.you can get heartburn from not having enough acid. I have now stopped the ranatidine and eating live yogurt throughout the day ( about a large spoonful ) four times a day and probiotics.Which seems to be helping.Also I have stopped all the foods that can aggravate the hernia and GERD.I was diagnosed early January And have suffered like you and all the other folk on this forum.What works for one doesn’t work for others .Its really trial and error. But coming off the PPIs needs to be done very gradual which is what I’m doing and could take months. But I feel they do more harm with long term use.And can cause other unwanted  health issues . Once I’m weaned  of ranatidine I will try to come of the Nexium.if I’m successful I will give you all an update with details of how I did it.take care.

• Posted

I have heard a lot about probiotics. Do they help?
    • Posted

A friend of mine with all the same symptoms had been on PPIs for 9 yrs .In January she stopped them all.And started taking probiotics and prebiotics and organic apple cider and live yogurt .All her symptoms stopped she now drinks wine and normal foods.But controls it with the apple cider..when she gets a bit of heartburn.So I’ve started the probiotics and the live yogurt the last two weeks and today has been the best day for me with no symptoms,in spite of eating   Food today with garlic, drinking a lemonade and chocolate,all of which I have nor eaten since January.Im thinking your body needs a bit of acid,as I said before all the meds you take for this condition depletes all the acid.But I’m going to gradually stop the meds ,rather than like my friend who just when cold turkey .As I don’t want to take the chance of it backfiring . So I’m not not sure if the probiotics actually are working or the yogurt but I have read that other people get good results.So try them you have nothing to loose but they take about a month before you feel the benefits so I’m told . Hope this info is helpful to you.

• Posted

Somehow drinking apple cider vinegar feels like it’s the totally wrong thing to be doing.......but I shall try it.

Do you dilute it a lot?

Also, what are prebiotics  and probiotics? Can you give some examples of them and where do you buy these please? 

• Posted

My thoughts exactly! Apple cider sounds so wrong but i have heard so many good reviews so I,too, will try it.

Will be having plain yoghurt as well as I hear it has helped a lot of people.

• Posted

Hi to you all, I will try to answer some of the questions..yes you would think that apple cider would be a no no.But I think  It gives you the bit of acid your body needs. This is from the U.K.you need organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar (with the mother)3x a day before meals 1tablespoon in 8fl oz of water.drink it through a straw to protect your teeth .you can buy this from Asda.i don’t know what the difference is between the probiotics and prebiotics.But it’s all the do with bacteria in the gut, people with our problems lack the bacteria which leads to the problems.but some people take both. You can google all about these biopics then  it will make more sense.I haven’t started the vinegar yet as I’m on the probiotics and live plain Greek yogurt,so far so good.!! But when I do come off the PPIs I will start it.you can also try, when you have an acid attack, is kefir (a probiotic drink) it’s a fermented milk drink  taste like yogurt but thinner.It has helped me.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with a grade A HH some years back but I think I've had it longer. I just have a pain in the chest which seems to be getting worse. I was taking lanzaprol but stopped and those pains came on afterwards (not burning reflux it seems). It's not a strong pain just annoying. I wonder if anyone has the answers to my questions:

1. I took my Blood pressure the other day and noticed it unusually high. Usually 138 but was 155. Does Lanz cause this?

2. Is the pain caused by just Hernia pressure on nerves or is it a little reflux burning but not like you've bought up a lot of acid.

3. Worried it is the heart as I have a 'Moderate' blockage in the main left artery.

Thanks for your time.

• Posted

Hi , I’m told that many people have a hiatus hernia and don’t realise they have one. I don’t think it presses on any nerves as it’s a hole in the esophagus. 

Food goes through the hole and causes acid reflux. PPIs can cause bp to rise but only whilst you are on them. I would go back to the doctors and get them to check you out as you already have a blockage in the heart . Acid reflux can give you awful heart pain many people think they are having a heart attack , but it’s the reflux. But I wouldn’t take that chance. 

• Posted

Like you my chest pain is not that bad but present enough to make me notice it. I am planning on seeing a cardiologist this week to rule out any heart problem.

I am thinking of having a chest xray as well.

I have such bad health anxiety, I can't function or enjoy my days anymore.

See a doctor Happy and let us know how it goes.

• Posted

Yes I had the same thing my hernia was called a paraesophageal hernia that is when the intire stomach slips into the chest it was horrible I couldn’t eat but a tiny bit and when I did eat I felt like I ate an intire turkey dinner I would lose my breath when I spoke my sternum felt like I git hit with a bat and it went all the way to my back only 3% of the popular get that bad my hernia was literally 8 in wide ...well had my surgery 2/ 2017 and it has now come apart again but it’s only about 2 inch now but I can tolerate it ....my stomach ALWAYS FEELS BLOATED ..hernias are no joke it’s very hard to live by

• Posted

My surgery was postponed until next week on September 25th.  I will post when all is done to let you know how it went,  I was already told by my doctor that recovery will be difficult for the first couple of months,  
  • Posted

I also have trouble swallowing.  That is why I am on a liquid and soft diet. That said, I was nauseated and vomitedthe other day.  It was horrible and I had pain throughout the night.  So it is always a hit and miss if I will be I’ll after eating.  
  • Posted

Hi I have the same as you all the time. My stomach feels like its being pushed up into my ribs and someones hands around my throat. I can't sleep keep waking up with a dry mouth and a sore throat. Went to see a surgeon today and he told me surgery wasn't the answer. I just sat there and cried I can't take feeling like this anymore. Its effecting my breathing and my whole life!!!😪

• Posted

I take 20 mg omeprazol in the morning and and 300mg raditidine at night
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time too.

I m on 40mg ezomeprazole.

And today I woke up feeling nauseous and over salivating. It's really not easy living like this. Everyday is a struggle, I face new challenges and sometimes new symptoms.

I just hope and pray I will one day be ok again. And I pray that you get better too. Is there any other brand name for ranitidine? So I look it up where I live.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.