Hiatus Hernia advice needed

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with with Hiatus Hernia, through an endoscopy. Mine is a 4cm sliding one.

Over the past 3 months the quality of my life has drastically dropped, I am being sick almost every day (whether I eat or not), getting a burning sensation, burping non stop and well as being bloated constantly.

The doctors have tried various medications before my diagnosis, however nothing has helped.

I've read a lot online in regards to the condition, and frankly don't want to be on tablets for the rest of my life. Is there any way possible I can opt for surgery? My GP has not been helpful at all and at times I feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance

Shaz

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shaz

I also have a hiatus hernia - seems it is quite a common complaint. Even my doctor had it. I also haveBarrett's Oesophagus.

Pariet has been marvellous for dealing with the reflux symptoms over the years.

Last week I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome & am looking at what specific food groups are not being absorbed, as well as taking Digestive enzymes & probiotics.

My GP believes the hiatus hernia reflux condition needs to be treated with drugs for the rest of my life. I have recently seen a naturopath who thinks my conditions should be able to be sorted with both eating suitable foods with the addition of health supplements.

The IBS is all only in the early stages for me so there seems to be many alternative solutions.

Would not suggest surgery of any description & this has never been mentioned to me.

Patience is the best attribute, as well as trying lots of different alternative approaches.

I have had 4 endoscopies now as they need to check on the Barrett's to see that it is not progressing into cancer.

Good luck

Kimberley

• Posted

Kimberley,

I have an Hiatus Hernia two and have been suffering from unexplained weight loss. All my tests (Abdomen CT and ultrasound, colonoscopy, Endoscopy, X-ray,s bloods etc etc) have been normal except for the hernia and small erosions in my oesophogues.

Anyway you say you are having problems absorbing certain foods? I have been loosing weight for no reason and it appears that the probably cause is poor absorption of nutrients. Have you lost weight due to this?

Also, any joy in finding what food don't absorb very well? My digestive tract doesn't seem to work right at the moment.

I am also suffering from a lot of white foamy acidic saliva which I am convinced is related to the hernia (My doc as just changed my Medication from Omeprozole to pantoprazole, and said to try it for a month. I did double my omeprazole dose for a week and my saliva did improve for a while but it is now back to normal.

Do any of these problems sound familiar?

Thanks

Derek

• Posted

Hi Derek

I have been diagnosed with hiatus hernia about 6 months ago and pretty much have the same symptoms loss of weight& appetite ,I have been considering operation/ please advise if you had any improvements since ?

cheers

zack

• Posted

Hi ,  i have same problem . My happiness has been gone . do you feel fullness of chest after eating and burping ?
    • Posted

Hi su joy I m really suffering atm had hernia diagnosed years ago fine on omeprazole until they gave me amitriptyline a year ago double up the tabs still bad then 3 weeks ago she upped my amitriptyline that's when I read the side effects was taken off it straight away but can't eat nausea dry heaves and if I do eat acid indegestiom it's making me very stressed and poorly

• Posted

Hi dereck my name is simone i have the exact same symtoms as you i am practicaly like an anorexic now dosnt matter what i eat it wownt put on weight also problems with digestive system its good to know someone has se as ive being going down to a and e with pain and dizziness also palpatations that i think im having a heart attack i thought i was going mad really highly stressed everyday about it and its on my mind constantly because of symtoms everyday
  • Posted

Hi I am also in a bad state and can't understant why the medication works for so many but not me.

I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia and heliobactorpylori plus gastritis and was cleared of the last two and felt fine.I was already on omeprezole as I had been put on due to being prescibed carbemazapine and 3 x 400mg iboprufen a day so this was to protect my stomach.

I have now been on the omeprezole for two years and more recently taking anti nausea tablets.I have no idea where the continual nausea has come from as it used to be mild and intermittent. I feel ill with nausea dizziness and acid in my mouth all day everyday. I have collapsed with the acid coming through my nose it is rampant. I can not increase the omeprezole as when I do i have more stomach pains and gagging and headaches.My insides race due to the laxatives and anti nausea tablets. I have been in hospital and told not the hernia not the gall stones. I also have asthma and MS. It is affecting my life big time I can not go out and dread the MS kicking in as it will due to the stress and inablilty to control this. I was offered a new oral drug for my MS but because of all this can't do it.

• Posted

Morsel, The Acidic saliva is the worst. It is destroying my teeth and gums. I have also had it come through my nose, which really burnt.

I am currently not taking medication, as I have got a repeat endoscopy in just over a week and the doc wants to check for H Pylori.

Have you tried any other PPI's? I have tried lansaprozole and pantroprozole, none work to good. I just want my saliva back to normal.

I would of thought that if your gastris and H Pylori were cleared the PPi's would work.

I have been told that PPI's do not work for everyone. So looks like we are in the same boat.

Let me know if you find a PPI that works, and I will do the same if I find an answer.

• Posted

OMG. Please look at alternatives rather than surgery. Diet, breathing exercises and digestive enzymes all work for some people. Acidophilus probably would help too for the gut generally.

I have a friend who just got into bad eating habits and not breathing well, once I got her to eat slowly, chew well so the saliva has time to do its job, and sit up properly while eating and do deep breathing exercises after the meal, the problem which she was taking all sorts for went away.

My sister was in agony several times before I knew she had a problem. Same thing. She was stressed, not eating properly and shallow breathing. She has not had a problem since doing the above. Others who have had the problem longer may need more help but would suggest digestive enzymes, artichoke tablets or fennel.

Obviously

If you are taking other medications ask about contra indicators

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the replies Tiny T and Derek. Much appreciated. I do take a probiotic,cod liver oil vit D,I have dried liquorice dgl and charcoal. I do deep breathing and have relaxation tapes. I sleep up right on a reading pillow which is damaging my neck. My diet is healthy when I do eat I have lost a lot of weight. I try and walk round the block and have a little chair cycle if I can't..

I have increased my omeprezole to two a day in the hope it will get rid of the swilling acid. I do know I feel lousey on two.Plus the metaclampromide plus the laxatives.This is actually a new development had it now for ten days previously had it for two and have weeks then stopped for a couple of days and now back.

Feeling very tired could just go asleep,nausous,dizzy and light headed can't concentrate.

• Posted

Hi Derek

Just to mention that at the moment I am chewing gum which keeps the mouth acid at bay. Make sure you get orbit as this is approved by dentists.

• Posted

I've been suffering with an Hiatal Hernia for about 7 years now, I had 3 endoscopies before it was discovered. I was taking Omeprazole for 18 months & it just wasn't helping at all. To be honest my GP was a waste of time & the frustration I felt was un-real.

I moved house & joined the new surgery, ( I didn't move to get better health care, my job was the reason) thought i'm going to see my new GP & get this sorted once & for all.....Explained my problem that the acid was relentless, it was keeping me awake, it was affecting my job because I was always so tired cry . He put me on a new repeat prescription of Lanzoprazole 30mg & within a week I could feel the difference cheesygrin I felt so different in myself, I was sleeping again etc.

There have been lot's of things I've had to cut out...the worst for me was giving up my morning cup of tea, yes if you are suffering badly, go without a cuppa for 3 day's & you will notice the difference, green leaf & veg have been a big problem too sad , it's surprising what you do have to cut out & sadly it is all trial & error, it pay's to keep a log book/diary of what you are having & how it affects you.

I've been on this same medication now for about 5/6 years & it's very rare I have problems, I can pretty much eat anything, including hot, spicy foods, but forget the citrus stuff, ketchup, certain salad products. If I do eat the wrong stuff, I soon know it...when the ol' dreaded lump in the throat flares up it's ugly head, & I learn very quickly it's things too avoid rolleyes . Alcohol is another one sadly rolleyes cut it out, don't get me wrong, I loved a glass of wine with dinner...but it's had to go & I do feel better for it.

If your symptoms aren't improving, it is so important to go back to your GP, if your having no luck try a different GP at your surgery.

But the biggest offender for me was tea. It does get easier & you do learn to adapt, but sadly you have to be patient, easier said than done I know. I hope this helps a little, I know the frustration but it does get better. lol

• Posted

LS there is some great advice on here but yours seems to have struck a nerve in me.

Literally for years now I have been suffering from a pain in my left side and my family have been telling me that I am imagining it as I run cycle and swim.

At the same time I have also been suffering from a shortness of breath. During all this I have visited the doctors and been treated for anxiety. However through my persistence I have recently been back to see the doctor and he has now given me pills for acid reflux Lanzeropol and it seems to being the trick. To try and determine if he is correct I have asked for an endoscopy but I see through your experiences that that might still not show up the problem. Just like you suggest I am monitoring what I eat and drink but as yet I am loath to give up tea. I mean bliming heck I don't even drink alcohol. But having said that if it turns up I need to then I will do so willingly if it means feeling better. At the moment I cannot even cycle without later getting any pain.T most miss eating is chocolate but at least I am now losing weight from not doing so.

Although I am not too happy about having AR and a possible hernia that's a far less serious illness than my imagination has been telling me.Best wishes to all of you who are suffering the same.

• Posted

Hi Ted, Could I please ask exactly where your left side pain is?
    • Posted

Hi Ted, pain in left side could be related to the pancrease. My wife has had all sorts of digestive/bowel problems for years. Recently diagnosed with severe pancreatitis. Research this. She is being proscribed creon. These are digestive enzymes that replace the ones that the pancrease should produce. You can have a blood test for this. One sign is smelly poo, light colour that floats. The creon is helping a lot but the dosage is a learning curve. Also read up on nightshade foods. I also have problems with hiatus hernia but didn't suffer with excess acid until the doctors put me on ant-acids.
    • Posted

So weight loss can be a normal finding

I find myself afraid of food and been advised by gp and gastroenterologist to loose weight with confidence

Istarted aggresively in gym and lost 6 kg in 7 weeks and i slowed down and seem to continue to loose weight

How can i be confidently losing weight when my gp keeps asking to report any excessive unexplaned weight loss

• Posted

Hi. I know you wrote your blog 4 years ago but was wondering how you are feeling today? Are you still taking Lanzoprazole? Are you still feeling better? I have hiatal hernia and GERD. Taking Nexium, Gavistron, at times Pepsid and chewable papaya enzymes. My whole life feels so affected by this! Want to find a GI who specializes in Hiatal Hernia sine my GI at present is not really helping me. I feel bad for my husband. He try's to keep me feeling positive. I used to love eating out and cooking. It's almost impossible to eat out since I'm so limited with what I can eat and can't really cook as well. Wish there was some kind of support group so I don't feel so alone! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.