Hiatus Hernia advice needed

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with with Hiatus Hernia, through an endoscopy. Mine is a 4cm sliding one.

Over the past 3 months the quality of my life has drastically dropped, I am being sick almost every day (whether I eat or not), getting a burning sensation, burping non stop and well as being bloated constantly.

The doctors have tried various medications before my diagnosis, however nothing has helped.

I've read a lot online in regards to the condition, and frankly don't want to be on tablets for the rest of my life. Is there any way possible I can opt for surgery? My GP has not been helpful at all and at times I feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance

Shaz

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

Just an update for all. I have given up PPIs as I was concerned about the affect on nutrient absorption plus I felt I should be able to have a normal bodily function with the correct food intakes. It is now about 4 months since I have given up. I also saw a Naturopath who tested my blood which was very clumpy & irregular in shape etc. All in all he gave me a score of 2.5/10 for my blood & said he was being generous. He gave me a list of supplements to take & when I returned in 3 weeks he said my blood had improved to 6.5/10. He wanted to give me different supplements but I chose to see if just my eating/drinking patterns could support healthier blood & will return to him in the near future just to see what my blood looks like now. I was alss taking additional EFAs & probiotics.

I gave up alcohol for a few months & also tea & coffee. I have just resumed drinking alcohol again - but only glass per day. I rarely suffer from any form of reflux now & do not eat any of the 'bad' foods for reflux/acidity. I also eat virtually no sugar & I was always vegetarian. I get at least an hour of exercise every day, drink a lot of water with lime juice or apple cider vinegar. At my next endoscopy I am being tested to see if I am gluten, fructose, lactose, mannitol or sorbitol intolerant as I am still experiencing IBS symptoms of flatulence. I try not to eat any foods with chemical preservatives in them. I also have samll often meals & do not lie down within 3 hrs of eating.

Whilst I do not believe we need to be constantly taking supplements if we are eating a good diet, the body can certainly use a detox before it can start getting better. All of us are different however, so I can only speak from what works for me.

• Posted

Hi there everyone

I have been diagnosed with hernia too...sliding one at 3 cm

Also gastritis, have been on medication since

nov and nothing is working

I've lossed my job over it,lossed my honeymoon

Ruined my wedding day.. Am so depressed

Have lost nearly 3 stone bcos I can barely eat

Am sick most days, in constant pain

Just waiting now for 2 more tests

Another camera to go down me plus a 24 hour

testing thing

I can't believe how my life has changed so much

• Posted

Hi Shaz i have had a hiatus hernia and acid reflux for over 15 years. it all started when i had long periods of not eating, ie approx 9 hours an then eating carbohydrates instead of a proper healthy meal. here is some info which may be of use to you. also there is a new thing now that the USA have created which wraps around the valve - yet to be brought out but worth you looking on the web. its a metal thing.

anyhow:

firstly if you are overweight, lose it, as this puts pressure on your stomach and also i do have palpitations after i have eaten sometimes.

higher the top of your bed up - you can get some items from a mobility shop that go under your bed legs or put a brick under each one at the top. your body is higher so the acid during the night wont travel up as much as if you are flat.

avoid bending down with your head forward - where possible bend your knees.

avoid the following drinks and food:

orange juice, alcohol, raw onions, oranges, red meat (especially pork - this is the worst one for me)

tomatoes (although i still have them, they are supposed to increase the acid in your stomach), crisps, chips and potatoes on occasions. greasy food, batter on fish, spicy dishes (indian type food), pickled onions, anything in vinegar, unless its a sweet vinegar. coffee.

i have rinitidine from my doctor (also known as zantac) - obviously higher dose than you can get over the counter. this works really well for me, providing i have one in the morning not long after i get up and one early evening before my evening meal.i tend to brush my teeth first, because sometimes i am sick after earting if i brush my teeth aftewards, so your tablet will also come up. i also used to take, in addition to this a tablet called prebio 7, from holland and barrett health shop. its expensive but taken inbetween your medication it really helps, although some people do suffer with diarhoea with this, but good to try it.

also eat small but regular meals and eat healthy. i find it too many carbohydrates in one meal that doesnt help.

finally years ago when i first was diagnosed, i also had a tablet from my doctor that stopped your stomach muscles working, therefore the food and acid wasnt pushed up to my throat. my dose was too high, and i found i couldnt swallow my food, but the dose can be reduced. i cant remember the name of them but if i find it i will let you know.

good luck and hope this helps sue

• Posted

Well I had my 6cm hiatus hernia and GERDS diagnosis about four years ago. I was on lanzoprazole,

Ranitidine and domperidone. Then recently they have put me back on omeprazole that I have had before that didn't get on with.

And it feels since them I'm eating the ranitidine like sweets to stop the acid rising up every time I bend down at work. I have been shore of breath for months! I can't participate in the sport I love to a level I want to

Because its like I'm unfit? Yet I shouldn't be?!

By seven month bump is the perfect bump! I'm convinced the more has gone into my chest cavity at the moment and I can see an unusual lump on my left side.

One thing I will say someone I work with who has private healthcare has GERDS and they have put him on a drug I believe begins with Z......and it has worked miracles. Was one a away now he only has one every three. But the nhs refused it to me because of the expense.

Another point I felt I should bring up. It is not the ph level of the food/beverage as it goes in it is what it becomes once the enzymes have done there jobs.

Hence I believe I have no problem with ACID cheese but tomatoes , cucumber , and orange or lemon I can't do!

CIDER made from apples which are acidic I can enjoy a few of those! Haha smile

• Posted

Hi Shaz....are you on Domperidone as they helps with the sickness I've found along with Ranitidine for the

Reflux.

Hope that might be of some help! smile

• Posted

That drug my friend was on is NEXIUM , he just takes them every third day now. So the NHS Could probably save money in the long run as they are so effective you don't need them every day!!
    • Posted

Hi Deanne I have been taking nexium for 9 months now the gastro diagnosed me with GERD, he prescribed me 80mg/day twice in the am twice at night, at first I as getting very very nautious and asked them if I should reduce my dosage they had said to keep with it for 6 months. I was getting more and more nautious each day so I dropped down 1 of my nighttime pills after 4 months and immediately felt better. All of the ppl I talk to about this same issue are taking something different and way lower of a dose. I feel as if it is the wrong meds for me I haven't talked back with my gastro yet but is there a way to try maybe omeprazole instead of the nexium without really messing myself up? Will they counteract or make it worse?

• Posted

That drug my friend was on is NEXIUM , he just takes them every third day now. So the NHS Could probably save money in the long run as they are so effective you don't need them every day!!
  • Posted

Does anyone else with this feel the need to drink constantly. I have a bottle water with me at all times an must go through 5litres which is probably too much! I just have the dry rancid burn in mouth otherwise. sad
    • Posted

Hi Deanne13

I am aware I have a hiatus hernia. I too, drink a lot of water for the same reason you do.

I take 1 pariet daily which I will up to 2 per day

😎

• Posted

Hi

this doesnt sound right. althought antacids do have a tendency to make you a little more thirsty, it shoudnt be this amount if i were you i would go and see the doctor and check for diabetes or other things that may cause it. let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi,

I must say that meds do not work for all. I tried the PPI's and I even tried rennies at one point, I tried different strengths, surgery is right for some people, I do deep breathing, I eat slowly, I eat small meals, I even tried eating 6 smaller meals a day, my partner is a hypnotherapist and that works on anything with me... anything but this, I lost a job because of this.

So if the sickness and pain are are bad for you as they are for me, along with the other symptoms don't completely rule surgery out. I am booked in for pre op next week. will let you know how that goes.

Take care.

Chrstine.

• Posted

Hi Christine. I was wondering if you ever got that surgery for hiatal hernia. If so how was it and how are you doing now? I also have hiatal hernia and GERD and often suffer. Burning, sludge in throat, mostly during the night and when I wake up. I sleep on an incline wedge pillow which kills my neck or I just wind up slipping down anyway. I also at times feel breathless and smells affect me. Seems I've got a heightened sense of smell now. I go through periods when I start to feel much better and start to eat more enjoyable foods and then I eat something bad and I'm right back.  I stay away from spicy, garlic, tomato, lemon, citrus , alcohol and caffeine. I really miss my coffee, glass of wine, cocktails, Mexican food, spicy sushi rolls and just being able to enjoy food. My social life is affected since it's difficult to eat out with friends. I Feel so sad and envious of everyone who could eat what they want and not suffer. I'm presently taking Nexium, Galviscon and Pepsid. I sometimes find that papaya enzyme chewables can be relieving. I think about surgery. I know you wrote that blog years ago but was curious as to whether you went through with it. I wish there was some support group so I don't feel so alone! 

• Posted

Hi linda i been going through the same thing i feel like its ruining my lifeĀ 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone. Will be back to the docs when I get back from holiday. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.