Hiatus Hernia and constant burping/belching

Posted , 48 users are following.

Hi there,

this is my first visit to this site and am hoping someone can give me some tips or advice for my condition. I am a male, 57 yrs of age.

I have had heartburn/indigestion on and off for years. For the past 6 months to a year I have regular bouts of severe burping/belching and acid reflux. I often feel bloated/uncomfortable in the upper stomach area even though I am not a heavy/big eater ( except on occasions when going out for meals - when the bloating/burping is worse )

I have just been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia after having an endoscopy, and am waiting to see my gp for medication. I have previously had a blood test for the Hpylori bug which came back negative, though the doctor took a biopsy during the endoscopy to check for it again. The doctor who carried out the endoscopy seemed to think that the hernia would not be the cause of my burping/belching - does anyone have any similar symptoms and possible remedies ?

Prior to having the endoscopy I was on Omneprazole ( 20mg twice a day ) which had little, if any effect. This burping/belching/bloatedness is really getting me down - any advice/ remedies would be much appreciated, thanks.

5 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there. Just read your experience and as I have similar problems thought I would let you know my experience. I am a female, nearly 55. Have suffered excess acid & acid reflux for a number of years. I too take Omeprazole(40mg) but fortunately it does control the acid. Had three endoscopies now and have been diagnosed with Barrett's oesophagus and a hiatus hernia. I also suffer from bad wind/belching but following an ultra sound scan I was diagnosed with a large gallstone and a liver cyst. I have been advised that the gallstone is probably causing the wind. Hope this is of some interest to you.
    • Posted

I have removed my gallbladder but i am still Burping, now i am diagnosed with small hiatus hernia

• Posted

Hi, I'm new to the forum but had same problems with excess burping. Recently diagnosed with hiatus hernia. I googled it and found that researchers in Scotland created hiatus hernias in healthy volunteers by fitting them with a tight belt. I wear a broad leather belt and have a bit of a tummy on me. I bought myself a pair of heavy duty braces and ditched the belt. I also loosen my trouser waistband whenever possible. This has had a dramatic effect virtually eliminating the burping completely. This stops the upward pressure on your stomach pushing it into your diaphragm. Try it. it worked for me.
  • Edited

Have you had any success with the  belching? I have had it now for 3 months and am fairly certain it is indeed caused by a hital hernia. I seem to belch more when changing positions, like from sitting to standing or lying to standing. 
    • Posted

Exactly same thing happening with me, when I change position I belch. I have this now for 6 years exactly and I'm taking meds because of the heartburn which happens everytime I belch.

• Posted

What  all have you tried? Not drinking soda helps a little bit, but I can not go for 6 years with this.. 
    • Posted

Eeverything! Only H2 blokcers and PPI's help tremendously, they eliminate the pain and there is no acid. I've got Barrett's because of my hernia. I don't bother with it as long as I don't have acid... one month to go and it will be 6 years with me as well.

• Posted

I don't drink soda but have never been able to quit coffee completely.

• Posted

There are 2 potential causes of the burping.

First one is medication causing an increase in stomach gasses - I've seen swallowing rennie etc.. then being surprised about stomach gas?!

Second one is less obvious and many professionals seem oblivious (I'm an engineer - it is simple pressure & air flow!).

If / when part of your stomach is above your diaphragm, it is under the same suituation as your lungs. As the pressure drops in the chest cavity due to muscle movement (you breath in), the same effect happens in this part of the stomach pulling air in.

On breathing out, the chest pressure changes, your lungs expell air, but often the badly located stomach doesn't want to let it go and it becomes uncomfortable and you have the urge to burp for relief.

I've seen it - Listened to it for hours on end and seen the blank look on some doctors faces. I've seen the unpleasant look on friends and family's faces. I've seen my wife in terrible pain for hours on end. Often unable to sleep until it stops.

It's worse when the hiatus hernia is aggravated - if you are refused NHS treatment, study & try out lots of options to passify the hernia. If keeping the hernia passive means "not really living anymore" save up and go private just to get your life back.

• Posted

Ray I think your second point is spot on for me, for why the burping occurs anyway.

I had this constant belching for a year now, and just figured out something.

When I am lying down there's little to no burping.

When I'm singing there's little to no burping

Worst is when I'm driving, pressures press down on my stomach or something.

I had just figured the singing is because I am gasping for air, and somehow when I'm gasping for every breath of air, it doesn't go into my hiatus hernia'd stomach! Else it is likely exactly as you said.

I'm still searching for a workable solution... aside from gasping for air the rest of my time sitting in a car.

I'll try this guy's suggestion on drinking a huge cup of water in the morning and jumping up and down to "pull" the stomach downwards..... smile

Also the burping is somehow connected to eating oily foods

• Posted

Same with me, when lying down no burping its because of no pressure, simple as that, when I stand up I burp, when I move my body I again burp. Sports helps, running especially because it somehow fixes my hernia temporarily...
    • Posted

not sure about sports cuz i don't do any :O  but there's some new development for me

if i force the back of my tongue backwards a bit, i am somewhat able to block the air from going down my esophagus and thus stop the burping. when this is achieved, i am not able to swallow (makes sense).

i've had one session of visceral manipulation.. unfortunately the doc hasn't heard of this condition. maybe surgery to put a sleeve in is next..

• Posted

Hah, well that's interesting, but this is hard to do all the time. Whenever I make a movement my hernia causes the burp.

• Posted

Hello Ray, I do know what you're going through. I've suffered with this for years. A doctor taught me a way to 'massage' or manipulate my stomach to bring the part protruding above the diaphragm back down where it belongs. I can do it myself and it has brought me great relief at times. Perhaps it might help your wife. It's really pretty simple, just a bit awkward. I have to stand and face a wall (or counter, etc) to push against. Using both hands, keeping fingers stiff, point them toward my stomach just below my ribcage. Lean forward and push the backs of my hands against the wall, to increase the pressure. When my hands are pushed in I make a conscious effort to suck my diaphragm up. Essentially, I'm putting my hands at the top of my stomach to hold it while I pull the diaphragm up and the stuck piece of my stomach pops back down where it belongs. It takes a little practice at first but it works well for me.

I hope I've described it well enough, if not please ask questions

I hope this helps.

Debra

• Posted

Hi Paul ! Yes it is exactly this ! Piew I'm not alone ...  You just said something important here, " when lying down no burping its because of no pressure " yes exactly that ! I'm waiting for an endoscopy on March 13 and I'm pretty sure about what will be the result.

When I sleep or lying down mostly nothing. But when I'm up I have gastric reflux, air pressure on the chest and big amount of burps coming out, like vere very too much, from 9am until I sleep, worst after meal.

I have 39 and I just stoped Weight Lifting (Incline bench press), I'm pretty sure everything come from  there. As I can see from group discussion there is absolutely no age for Hiatal Hernia.

• Posted

I f****d myself up with the gym early on in life as well. I avoid it now. I was an idiot back then.
    • Posted

Also one more thing, I dont know if you take it but I think PPI make digestion worse and burping also by the main time, it's one of my observation. I can't gym anymore.

• Posted

No surgery, I would never go for it anyways. PPIs are a wonder drug for me at leat for now, they decrease the burping, I feel more energetic, no heartburn. Thank you science for their invention...
    • Posted

I have exactly the same and running helps alleviate the pain.
    • Posted

What do u mean by "NHS" and go private? I am suffering from this horrifically. I have no life!!

• Posted

NHS is the National Health Service in the UK. I don't live in the UK, but apparently there is a wait for services/procedures with this. However, people can buy private insurance and avoid the long wait.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.