Hiatus Hernia and constant burping/belching

Posted , 48 users are following.

Hi there,

this is my first visit to this site and am hoping someone can give me some tips or advice for my condition. I am a male, 57 yrs of age.

I have had heartburn/indigestion on and off for years. For the past 6 months to a year I have regular bouts of severe burping/belching and acid reflux. I often feel bloated/uncomfortable in the upper stomach area even though I am not a heavy/big eater ( except on occasions when going out for meals - when the bloating/burping is worse )

I have just been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia after having an endoscopy, and am waiting to see my gp for medication. I have previously had a blood test for the Hpylori bug which came back negative, though the doctor took a biopsy during the endoscopy to check for it again. The doctor who carried out the endoscopy seemed to think that the hernia would not be the cause of my burping/belching - does anyone have any similar symptoms and possible remedies ?

Prior to having the endoscopy I was on Omneprazole ( 20mg twice a day ) which had little, if any effect. This burping/belching/bloatedness is really getting me down - any advice/ remedies would be much appreciated, thanks.

5 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I agree with Ray W that the belching is caused from the hiatal hernia. Your stomach has squeezed through the sphinter  and this is allowing the air to pass easily into the stomach. I can tell my belching builds with changes in position like from lying to standing and such. The stomach is never fully closed with a hiatal hernia. Surgery is a last resort for me. I am working with a chiropractor to see if they can pull the stomach back down to it's proper place via manipulation. I know it's a long shot, but I am desperate. 

• Posted

Hello marcy, sorry for any mistakes but english is not my mother tongue.

Last May, I had a surgery and to cut the long story short, after finishing the last dose of antibiotics I started experiencing terrible symptoms of reflux and gerd.

My doctor told me that i have a tiny hiatal hernia and mild gastritis. I had manometry, phmetry and barium swallow.

The phmetry showed multiple events of weakly acid reflux.

Specifically about belching I am experiencing exactly the same thing as you. I am also burping after drinking water or empty stomach and when changing positions, on vertical position or upright

I am only 30 years old and I am completely desperate.

Now I am taking riopan gel and started a prokinetic ibutin.

I would like to know if this belching started suddenly in your case?

• Posted

I had the feeling of the lump in my throat first. The lump feels like iar trapped sometimes and when it's really bad it feels like I have a very tight tie wrapped around my neck. The belching started kind of suddenly and sometimes it's worse than others. I am certain that the hiatal hernia is the cause but I am currently trying another method to cure myself. I have already tried medications and I even went to a chiropracter without any results. I have however read that even a modest weight loss will give some relief. I am not overweight but certainly have a little extra to lose. I have had a little relief with only 4 pound loss. I am aiming to lose 15.  I am hopeful this will help. I will report back if it resolved. This has been driving me mad. I wish you the best. 

• Posted

Hello again and thanks for your immediate reply.

The last few days my doctor prescribed me a prokenitic trimebutine and I have to say that the last three days I see improvement as far as concerned the extreme belching. I am trying every morning some probiotics named vivomixx.

I also had the sensation of lump in throat that has dimished but not completely gone.

I was not overweight too. In my opinion the belching is accosiated with dyspespia not the existence of hiatal hernia. It's more sth relative to nerves muscles than the hernia.

I also wish you the best.

• Posted

Hi Marcy,

I suffer from the same thing. Did you find any relief?

Thanks,

Maya

• Posted

Hi Maraki,

I wonder if you found any improvement?? Hope for some good news.

Maya

• Posted

Hi I also went to the doctors recently because I was and still am constantly burping!! I have also been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia. I believe this is causing the constant burping! Have you found out anymore answers regarding your burping etc? I'm desperate for some answers to fix this problem!

• Posted

Hi there 

I was diognosed with a sliding hiatus hernia more than 10 years ago. I have been offered a Nissan Fundiplication to correct it. I don't fancy the op so I take 40mg Omeprazole daily. I suffer with dreadful belching especially when I go to bed. I have to time taking my tablets with the belching because the only thing that stops it is leaning forward and bringing up what is above the hernia. Not pleasant but hasn't been digested so is basically just food. I can't bend over or wash my hair over the bath as both just a nightmare. So I'm sick most days and then I can get a good nights sleep. Interesting about the gall bladder as often wondered if I have all bladder trouble.

• Posted

Have you been takind Omeprazole daily for 10 years or on and off? Did you have any side effects from them? 
    • Posted

Hi there

yes I've been taking them every day for 10 years, maybe more. No side effects and work really well. I can almost time them to exactly 24 hours, then the burning starts again. When I had my acid test I couldn't take them for 3 days I honestly thought I was going to die.

• Posted

Tnx for the reply I'm on them 2 years now daily and I can't go without them. Miracle drugs for me. Side effects:None. I' ll have to be on them for the rest of my life, age:25.5 

• Posted

Hi I have been diagnosed with hernia also. Had all the tests and Dr at hospital has confirmed acid reflux and has referred me for Nissen also. My main symptom is belching all the time which acid burns my mouth. Do you get this symptom in your mouth. Regards.

• Posted

Hi Paulette

As long as I keep taking my Omeprozle tablets I don't get the burning acid. If I ever forget it's a nightmare. So it's a case of staying on the tablets for ever I think. I couldn't face having the op but things might change one day.

• Posted

How come can you reduce your omeprazole to let's say 20mg daily? I'm on 10mg daily for the rest of my life I guess because of the burping...

• Posted

Hi there

i find 20mg keeps it under control, the Doctor wants me to take 40mg to stop it turning to Barrats. I feel 20mg is ok. 

Bit worrying yesterday when they linked Omeprozle with dementia, even more reason to not increase them.

• Posted

A propos Dementia, having read a lot of posts there are maybe 5-10% people which have reported some kind of dementia like symptoms. Also who knows which other drugs are they taking along with the PPIs. Don't worry about that just do a regular blood check and some regular medical tests. Also I would advise to talk to your doctor and ask him how many of it's patients have had some kind of congnitive decline due to PPIs and see what he says abou that and what he thinks about dementia  and PPIs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.