hiatus hernia and pain round right ribs

Posted , 32 users are following.

I have a small sliding hiatus hernia also ibs. Does anyone get pain just below breastbone along right side and round ribs plus in right shoulder and back. It is not my gallbladder as I have had u.s. abdo and ct of abdo all clear

any advice appreciated..

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have the same as you, sliding hiatus h and IBS. I had pain in my oesophagus two years ago, lost about a stone in weight and don't get that much pain. Did not want to loose the weight I did,  but the food recommended for the condition does make you loose it. I get the occasional pain in back on the left just below shoulder blade. Usually when I have eaten the wrong thing especially alcohol. I do miss eating whatever I like though. Have you discussed this with your GP. I hope you find out soon what is causing the pains.

regards maureen 

• Posted

I have upper back pain, chest under brest bone heaviness/pressure, breathing problems and rib pain as well.  Now, no Hernia. I do have mild reflux on my esophagus and the back of my throat/vocals and mild inactive gastritis.
  • Posted

Hi Maria, this is me down to a T and have also had US and CTs. Ive been under 3 GI's one a private one and nobody has any answers for me. Do you find it difficult wearing a bra or anything tight around your middle. I made the mistake today of trying to wear one as i want to start wearing little summer tops and have been in agony ever since. I find Peppermint tea does help slightly when it is really bad.

Im sorry i cant give you any answers but sometimes just knowing that you are not on your own can be some help x

• Posted

Thank you so much. May I ask do you get right sided pain and round and under ribs. This is the worst for me. Yes, I have seen the drs and had the ct etc. No answers all clear
    • Posted

Hi Maria,

I have pain always on my right side - chest, ribs and right shoulder blade. When the pain is really bad I have pain down my arms too.  I have had 4 endoscopes all with different results - one diagnosed a small hiatus hernia and the last one barretts and so now I am really worried!  One doctor told me it was psychosomatic!  On and on and on it goes.  All this is enough to make anybody stressed! 

My advice to you would be to watch what you eat - no spicy foods, chocolate , coffee, tomatoes etc etc.  Eat little and often. Raise the head of your bed.  If you search the Internet there is lots of advice out there it's a case of finding what suites you. This forum has helped me enormously. Keep mithering doctors.  I hope we all find some answers.  

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

I have the same problem can't wear a bra been cleared of lung gallbladder heart its on the right side i can feel something moving and the left side stomach has as a lump can't breathe

• Posted

I also feel movement on right side in gallbladder area. Sometimes,like a twisting feeling.Very painful. All gallbladder tests,lungs, esophageal tests came out ok. Sonos,CT scans clear also. Diagnosed small hietal hernia. Bras becoming more uncomfortable! I was given a muscle relaxer and that really doesn't help! Now,I am checking with a group of Dr's that say hietal hernias can cause all these symptoms I am having. They can treat non surgically! I just want to be pain free!

• Posted

Do you sometimes feel like your being strangled, or not able to wear tight clothes on your stomach. I'm having much of these same symptoms that you are experiencing 😫

• Posted

Yes my pain is always right sided or after wearing a bra in the centre aswell. 2 CTs and 2 US's have come back clear. Doctors keep saying its stress thats making me so bad but i keep saying i wasnt stressed before the pain. Ive been going at this for 2 years and still no further forward. I dont see an end in sight
    • Posted

Same here Nicola,I've been diagnosed by,it really is getting money nerves,I have pain down my back after eating like it's stuck traveling through system,pain move around from left to right side,feels like heart attacks all the time,jeez is there an end to it.!!!!

• Posted

I dont think I can help you much on this one but can I ask how you know you've got a hernia. On some days I get a pain below my ribs which hurts quite a lot for a few seconds and then comes and goes but just feels uncomfortable. When I first had it about 20 years ago I had scans and xrays and they told me I had IBS.IIn the intervening years it's bothered me on and off but I have long periods when it disappears.I think if I'm very tense or excited it seems to get worse.
  • Posted

No, I get pains under my left breast. I don't have a lot of pain mine i more to do with I can't breathe deep and sometimes when I push it I just plain struggle to breathe. I wish I could help you.
  • Posted

Hi Maria

I have a Hiatus Hernia and so called "Silent Reflux" and have painful throat just about all of the time and recently pain in my right shoulder. It would appear that some how all this is related but no matter what I do I cannot seem to get rid of the problems even though I have stopped drinking coffee and alcahol and I am reasonably careful as to what I eat. Looks as though we all need the help/advice of someone that really knows all about this type of illness.

• Posted

I have H.H.,ibs,gastroritis,and I do have pain under right rib almost feels like.something is being.blown up at times. How are you doing.now ?
    • Posted

Hi,  funny this should become active thread again as I am once more in the middle of a flare.  I seem to get this when I have been very stressed.  I have pains as before but also as far down as a few inches above and to right of navel.  Also feel tired and heart races which I have been told is the vagus nerve being  affected by the h.h. had another abdo u.s. last week all clear.  Does anyone else have pains as far down as that, it is never below navel.  My last flare did subside though so there is hope but I feel I will always get these flares
    • Posted

Hi there Maria, I am very sympathetic for what you go through. I have a small hiatal hernia as well and recently have been feeling pain the same, right side above navel and to the side of it also around the navel but mostly tender right sided pain around mid abdomen...it also tends to feel more hard than the left side. Did you ever find out if this was due to the hernia? or do you know of anyone else who has experienced this? Can you please describe your experience with it? Thank you I hope all is well.

• Posted

Hi, did you figure out what this is?

I had a swollen left rib, that sent me to the hospital. Now it's less bruised, but comes and goes, and seems to be irritated by foods I eat, but other times when I'm strict, it will present itself as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.