hiatus hernia and pain round right ribs

Posted , 32 users are following.

I have a small sliding hiatus hernia also ibs. Does anyone get pain just below breastbone along right side and round ribs plus in right shoulder and back. It is not my gallbladder as I have had u.s. abdo and ct of abdo all clear

any advice appreciated..

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have a small sliding hiatus hernia too and I am very tender under both shoulder blades and lower back since the doctor changed my meds from omeprazole to pamtoprazole which I have stopped taking, do you get lots of sour saliva constantly, I get it 24/7, I am going back to doctors in two weeks as not happy 😢

• Posted

I have the sour liquid 24/7 and have had this for 15 months now! How did you get on at your doctors Maria? Hope you don’t mind me asking and hopefully your a lot better now! 😀

• Posted

Hi Lynn

My flares come and go but I have to be so careful what I eat My ibs is bad at the moment and I still have the rib stabs and acid I have had a sore throat recently for 6 weeks which has just gone, all due to reflux

Drs have not been much help and just give you ppis which dont work for me

I dont eat tomatoes chocolate, peppermint ir drink coffee. All things I like. I find manuka honey soothing . I dont mind you asking at all, that iswhy we are all here

• Posted

Hi Maria, I have read all on here & can relate completely. I have HH but no idea what type I am seeing consultant in Feb. I cant take PPIs they make me dizzy & sort of out of it so is Gaviscon but I keep getting sharp pain round right side & ribs, I can't sit comfortably or lay that side, it catches me when I move, its scaring me now. I'm a secretary & need to work f/time as alone in life, I'm 63 now & over weight so this has contributed to everything but thus right side pain is awful, the whole thing is tbh. I can't lean over to wash my hair & sitting at my computer gets painful & wearing a bra kills, as soon as I'm home its PJ's but this condition is spoiling my life so this forum is so helpful. xxx

• Posted

Hi Colleen, we sound so similar and I am 66. I too cannot lean back against things, I get burning stinging pains around both sides ribs, from shoulderblades down, do you get plains around sternum as well sort of where ribs join in front and acdoss breast at times. Wearing a bra is awful and I tend to wear a camisole type vest and jumpers. I cannot take ppis either just gaviscon. Recently had an ultrasound and consultant said it was most probably by h.h,

It must be awful till working and without support. If i can help please message me

• Posted

Hi can someone help me feel so upset doctor are not listening to me  been told got a sidling hiatus hernia had endoscopy  and scan but been get pain under my right boo near ribs for 5 weeks and getting really worried there say it because of hiatus hernia can you get pain there 
    • Posted

Hi bianca, yes you can pain under your right boob with a sliding hiatus hernia , I get it often , along with tenderness under the right rib cage , and lots of burping with trapped gas. Take care.
    • Posted

Thank you for that doctor say no I get very  nausea  At the min every day getting my gallbladder check come said sound like bile reflex 
    • Posted

Sounds like gall bladder problems , I had my gall bladder  removed key hole surgery in Randwick NSW Australia many years ago ,had severe pain in back and chest and was sick , found 6 small gall stones,recovery took around 3 weeks . The hiatus hernia pain and tenderness is nothing compared to the pain of gall bladder stones. Good luck hope you get it sorted.
  • Posted

Hi get my gallbladder check on the 28th June because my blood test was high when there check my gallbladder can you feel sick as well 
  • Posted

Do you mean sick after the test? If that is what you mean , the answer in no, as a MRI scan does not make you sick .
  • Posted

Hi no I keep Feeling sick all the time 
    • Posted

Get a scan , that will show up if you have gall stones. If you live in the UK though they are very lax at giving people scans, unlike the rest of Europe , USA , and  Australia, where if  they suspect  gall stones you are given a scan within days , as can be very serious if left as can block the ducts in your liver , and the pain is horrendous .
  • Posted

Hi everyone does anyone get food splashing back up and causing sour saliva in mouth? I have asked several times but nobody seems to have this problem other than myself, I have a hiatus hernia too! 
    • Posted

Hiatus hernia can cause food  splashing  back, and sour bitter taste. As can gall stones.
    • Posted

Thanks Maureen, I don’t think it’s gaul stones as I am in no pain, just slight pain in left shoulder blade, my next hospital app is 19th July but endoscope said hiatius hernia, it’s a horrible salty taste and driving me nuts! Have yo7 had this Maureen and what do you take for it? I have never cleaned my teeth as much as worry acid is causing harm! 
    • Posted

Have not had pain in shoulder blade with hiatus hernia, only with gall stones , but apparently it is a symptom of hiatus hernia , you can look it up on google , if you type in 'Pain in left shoulder blade from hiatus hernia. Sorry can not be of any further help .Hope you get well soon.

• Posted

GIVE US AN UPDATE ON HOW YOU GO ON AFTER YOUR VISIT TO HOSPITAL  ON THE 19 JULY. TAKE CARE.
    • Posted

Going for my scope on July 17. Have had HH for 20 years last 6 months have developed the right under rib pain. Meds not working anymore. My voice is gone most days from the gas affecting my vocal cords. (I work in a call center lol) have been off work for a month now. Will let everyone know what the outcome is, hopefully it helps or gives some insight for others. Chin up everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.