hiatus hernia and pain round right ribs

Posted , 32 users are following.

I have a small sliding hiatus hernia also ibs. Does anyone get pain just below breastbone along right side and round ribs plus in right shoulder and back. It is not my gallbladder as I have had u.s. abdo and ct of abdo all clear

any advice appreciated..

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

I have had gallbladder removed 9 years ago and the symptoms are upper abdominal pain after falling asleep after having a fatty meal (KFC) pain radiates to back.  They now remove your gallbladder so the stones do not return.  The results often after removal are diarrhea from any fat in foods.  I can eat pasta, but cannot have coffee and a piece of loaf cake from starbucks. Now I have symptoms of hiatus hernia which showed as mild on barium swallow test.  Tenderness in the upper abdominal, mid back pain, diarrhea. If you google the foods that you can have, it is really informative. I have lost 14 lbs in 3 months with One meal a day, and Intermittent fasting. Only thing that has helped in years. Not overweight severely, but want to become more fit and lose 40 lbs. Sounds like a lot, but on a fit body it's not. I eat clean and do veg smoothies, love organic peanut or almond butter rice cakes, and just learned that rice cakes are good, but cranberry juice and citrus foods in the protein powder and frozen fruit is NOT recommended. Also coffee, spearmint and peppermint is not recommended. Chocolate and alcohol are off limits as well. Still drink coffee as it will always be there, but alcohol is a once in a while wine and cant do the chocolate thing for the past 2 months. Had chocolate the other day, and 1 donut and had severe diarrhea. Good luck!  Doctor just diagnosed this after 2 1/2 years of seeing him for gastro intestinal issues.  Originally in 2016 they said it was fatty liver from the diarrhea (after gallbladder removal in 2010) they show severely constipated, but yet have diarrhea. Sometimes you need to research to find what works for you. Recent results show I no longer have an enlarged spleen or slightly thickened smaller intestine. There is improvement with veg and fruit protein powder smoothies, but once again progress.

• Posted

I have exactly the same symptoms but not diagnosed yet. Feels worse when sitting down as though something is being trapped under ribs. Also seems worse in back and under shoulder blade with movement.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying Maria. I have been worrying about it. Good luck!

• Edited

hi - i literally have been suffering the same pain.

im 26 and had my gallbladder removed september 2019.

since then ive had constant pains under my breast bone to the right and in my right shoulder blade.

the acid tablets ive been prescribed havent been working.

after several visits to a&e and them saying theres nothing they can do.

i rung my doctors and shes arranged for an ultra sound scan, gave me stronger pain relief to help with the pain (which hasnt) and sickness tablets as i constantly feel sick.

looks like shes starting the investigation onto the problem as its been going on for a while and im constantly being fobbed off.

i hope you get yours sorted and it will be interesting to see what they say it is.

take care x

• Posted

ive had all the same symptoms since gallbladder surgery! what have they diagnosed you with? im at a loss!

• Posted

Hi Maria

this sounds exactly like my symptoms. im frantic as it feels like it's getting worse. Did you get to the bottom of the problem ?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with a HH last week, im glad i finally got a diagnosis, I had xray & ultrasound and nothing was picked up but then I had endoscopy and i was diagnosed. I have pain under my right ribs and under shoulder blade and was worried what it could be, I also get heartburn and croaky voice at times. im sorry to hear of your issues but comforting im not alone

• Posted

i have pain there all the time had an endoscopy and found i had baretts esophagaes acid reflux csused it i also have a hiatus hernia

• Posted

i have pain there all the time had an endoscopy and found i had baretts esophagaes acid reflux csused it i also have a hiatus hernia

• Posted

i also have a hiatal hernia. mine is large about the size of a grapefruit the doctor said. i have pain under my right rib that will radiate into my back. it has been so bad latley the only thing that helps is if i push in on that area. it hurts a lot at first but then it will subside. I find a sports bra will help keep the pain away as it keeps pressure on that area. I havenn't worn a bra in years as it always hurt terribly causing spasms but now seems yo be the only thing to stop this crazy pain.

• Edited

I am so grateful to find this discussion! Have recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia. I get the pain around and under the right ribs as described. I have been told I have oesophagitis due to acid reflux disease. I was surprised because I don’t get what I think of as heartburn - that is acidic episodes with bitterness in the mouth. however I have a sense of heat and dryness in the chest. I have also had discomfort under the stomach making me want to sit up straight, it’s like something sliding and I’ve now realised it is the sliding hernia kind of blowing up like a balloon into the base of the stomach.

I had gallbladder disease nine years ago and had my gallbladder removed, so thought this pain to the right was just to do with my bile ducts over working now. I have yet to discuss medication with a doctor probably omeprazole., so thought this pain to the right was just to do with my bile ducts over working now.

I have yet to discuss medication with a doctor probably omeprazole. And have been advised a list of lifestyle changes so I’m starting with paying attention to how my body responds to various foods. Unfortunately most of the items on the no-go foods list matches just about everything I like to eat!

I’d be very interested to hear if anyone has found solutions to this type of problem with the hernia the oesophagus inflammation and the pain around the right ribs.

A friend tells me she knows someone with some of these problems who has recovered through changing their diet, so I’m hopeful!

by the way I found out about the hernia and oesophagus issue from an endoscopy which was advised because I had started to feel problems with swallowing. I was also starting to cough quite a lot when I ate food and it all seemed a bit strange so I spoke to a GP who advised a chest x-ray and an OGD.

• Posted

I am so relieved to read these comments. I had an episode a few weeks ago where my diaphragm really hurt bending over to put shoes on. Also pain in sternum. The sternum pain has eased but if I press down or lay on my right rib cage it's very tender. I've also felt as if I have a lot of trapped wind. I do have IBS as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.