Hiatus hernia front to back pain

Posted , 48 users are following.

What a journey I've been on since 2014 and still going strong. Oiiii!!!

In 2014 I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy and I've been diagnosed with GERD, Gastritis and a

Hiatal Hernia. Been having troubles this past year to current with stomache pains, on/off scapula shoulder pains and now a stabbing that started between my breast bone and went through to my back towards the right side under scapula. (I'm minus a gall bladder too). I had a recent endoscopy and ultrasound of liver & kidneys and they were "unremarkable". Well, the pain is VERY "remarkable". I have no idea if this has anything to do with the scary pain of the day, but I drank a cup of coffee and 30 minutes later laid down in bed and got an intense stabbing pain(like a Charlie horse almost) underneath center breastbone that radiated in my back and 3 inches right of my spine. Could a hiatal hernia do this? Pleurisy? I had a chest X-ray in December 2016 and they found nothing at that time except for winged ribs from arthritis.

4 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Im 53 and had the camera and diagnosed with HH a few weeks ago.no action required they said..I get this horrible pain in left shoulder pain that runs into my left arm..totally doing my head in..im sure it cant be connected can it.?? It seems to be there more than it isnt..
    • Posted

Hi Im 63 and found out yesterday that I have a HH at end of oesophagus which causes severe heartburn but not fullblown indigestion. I have suffered left shoulder pain for a long time but not associated it, but the info I was given says its better to lie on left side in bed, so could have a connection.
  • Posted

Have you been checked for h pylori? You may need a course of antibiotics. Should help with your stomach pain.
  • Posted

Hi, after 3 years I was diagnosed with a HH just before Xmas, the pain in my side and right shoulder blade is horrendous. Im sure on occasions I can feel it popping out. I’ve cut out carbonated drinks and looks like coffee is going on the list of no no’s.  This pain causes my heart rate to increase so much so I’m rushed to resus, I’ve already had an ablation on my heart back in May, I’m literally fuming what I’ve been through and it’s been the HH all the time, I’ve read it can irritate an nerve to cause you heart to run fast and all along I told them it’s the pain in my side that’s causing it. Anyway awaiting to see an consultant, will update in the next few months, hope you all start feeling better soon, gentle hugs x 
  • Posted

I have had a 5cm hiatus hernia for two years now and although I am trying to learn to live with it some days are a nightmare!  I have all kinds of medication to try to keep it at bay.  I take 40mg of Esomeprazole a day, Metoclopramide to help with the sickness, Amitriptyline to help relax my stomach in the evening and then Solphadol (Codeine) for pain.  Even with this lot I still get regular pain and often sit with a hot water bottle trying to get into a position where it is bearable.  When it is bad it takes my breath and I find it hard to breathe which is scary and have on occasion gone to A&E who basically fill me with Morphine and then send me home after a few hours when the pain has subsided. 

it is an endless nightmare.  I have had every test going and they are inconclusive and no one has a clue what to do with me so they discharge me and expect me to just live with it and get on with life.  I have stopped alcohol and anything that remotely triggers any discomfort and try to watch my lifestyle.   

• Posted

hey Stephie2 my name is Andy, I have a question for you im hoping you may be able to answer, or give me your opinion. back in october I was under a lot of stress bc my uncle passed away. I stressed out so much I had what felt like a crawling tingling sensation go down my throat, it hit me where my esophagus meets my stomach. i got a warm sensation, and got real sick so i went to bed. I was laying on my back, and i jerked hard enough that i moved forward like your doing a sit up. when i did i felt something move or pull in my upper abdominal area under my breastbone. It was tender when I touched it so I thought I just pulled a muscle but I rolled over on my right side and 15 minutes later my mouth started burning the next morning when I got up I could barely walk I went to take a step, and something would pull in the same area, I had pain in my chest that went all the way into my throat. I went shopping with my brother, and got out of breath walking to his car. I could stand the seatbelt on my chest the pressure was so bad. I have reflux, but this incident has made it worse. The back of my mouth stays red, it wasnt like that before. It also hursts to walk. The only way i can get relief is with hydrocodone. I have had an EGD Ultrasound CT, and X-ray all are normal. Do you have any Idea what this could be. is this a Hiatal hernia.

• Posted

Hi it sounds like acid was coming up into your throat, i have acid indigestion and small hiatus hernia. Sleep on your left side if possible and maybe raise the top of the bed on a couple of bricks to help stop acid rising up in night.

Stress is bad for triggering acid too. The only way to find out if you have a hiatus hernia is to see if your gp will send you for a endoscopy if you are still having problems.

• Posted

i had a EGD back when this first happened and it was normal. all the test i have had are all normal. I told you wrong though. It wasnt under my breast bone. It was where your esophagus meets your stomach. right in the center below your rib cage. It almost felt like a pop. when he did the EGD back in october he was looking for an ulcer. I'm sure if i had one though he would have seen it. Is it possible to cause a hernia by jerking like that. I could just kick myself bc I was actually able to slowly get off my meds, with no symptoms whatsoever except for the stress. I was following my diet to a T, and this one movement somehow messed everything up. My doctors nurse seems to think its a pulled muscle, bc they're not finding anything, but how this would mess my reflux up, and cause so many issues is beyond me. I've got a appointment with my GI doctor in April. The only thing that is bothering me is my throat is staying red and irritated, and my throat tightens up every once in awhile. I had none of these symptoms before all this. Thanks for the response.

• Posted

5cm hiatus hernia! That is large and should have surgery. You will have your life back after surgery.

• Posted

Hi everyone... I just got diagnosed with a hiatal hernia today. I m pretty sad but relieved at the same time coz now I know what's the reason behind my constant burping ,chest and back pain. I m so lucky I came across this forum. Is this something I ll have to learn with or do I need surgery?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with a severely inflamed esophagus & 5cm hiatal hernia by endoscopy following esophageal blockage. At the time I had no heartburn rather pain from navel to under right ribs. After 8 weeks omniprazole swallowing improved so consultant discharged me adding that hernia was only small. (It is in fact classified large). I am now having PPI withdrawal pains, worsening breathlessness, & 3 day episodes of intense pain in chest, back, shoulders, left side neck & arm. My GP wrote up a repeat script for omniprazole for long term use. This terrifies me due to the horrific risks associated with this drug. I wonder if medics lack knowledge in this field or just like to keep us in the dark. I am totally confused as to which condition causes my symptoms knowing that it could be acid or the hernia & that reflux is inevitable with a hernia. The least exertion has me gasping for air & the pain episodes prevent me from laying down/ sleeping. I am barely capable of caring for myself & life is a nightmare.

• Posted

High Cheryl - uggh, I know the feeling. I have reflux, HH etc etc - after camera, was given PPIs - never took them, for as you say the side effects and bad and defo docs are not interested (bet they would be if it was a member of their fam). Diet plays a big big part in this. I take Ranitidine from the docs instead of PPI which I told them I am not taking. Now they have withdrawn it so not sure what I am going to be given in place. Are you on any other sites for this issue - this is a great site but I find when you ask a question, it often goes unnoticed and you dont get an answer - or maybe months later.

I am on one for Hernias and the answers are immediate and so helpful and give every explanation to a problem. If you need me to, I will PM you. I know how this feels and that there is life after all with a HH that you can, and will, control yourself and without PPIs. Take care.

• Posted

You should demand for surgery for such large hernia. PPI only control not repair the problem. You will get your life back after surgery. Trust me they will always say the side effect and risk, but they didn't tell you the success rate. NHS use a lot scare tactic to avoid surgery and save cost. I insisted to have my done and I have my life back now. No more walking on thin ice.

• Posted

Hi both of you,

The reason this site is limited on answers is that we are not dr's therefore we can only give our own experiences!

Firstly you need to have an endoscopy done to confirm, most people guess from symptoms and that is not good, for instance gastritis covers all of the symptoms shown and can be helped by diet and lifestyle changes.

I also think that taking ppi's for a while is not life threatening or horrific as you believe, may be taken in large doses over a long period of time but they do help a lot of people along with a holistic approach.

Unless you address underlying stress and anxiety issues your gastric issues will continue, change of diet, yoga, meditation. taking time to relax and eat clean.

Best wishes.

• Edited

Hi, I am Sarah. I am new here. I have been going through hell the last month with my pain as well.. got blood tests and ultrasound all normal. It feels like a hernia to me so they set me up for an endoscopy of which I chickened out on. Now I am getting a Barium swallow.. gosh I hope they figure this out soon, can't take the pain.. I am constantly take pain meds and have that pain under my breast bone too going to my back. I always had heartburn so badly but this takes hernia to a whole other level. I am fed up and just want it fixed!

• Edited

Hi Sarah, until they diagnose it, try Gaviscon Advance, you should be able to obtain it from the chemist. If it helps you may well have a Hital Hernia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.