Hiatus hernia front to back pain

Posted , 48 users are following.

What a journey I've been on since 2014 and still going strong. Oiiii!!!

In 2014 I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy and I've been diagnosed with GERD, Gastritis and a

Hiatal Hernia. Been having troubles this past year to current with stomache pains, on/off scapula shoulder pains and now a stabbing that started between my breast bone and went through to my back towards the right side under scapula. (I'm minus a gall bladder too). I had a recent endoscopy and ultrasound of liver & kidneys and they were "unremarkable". Well, the pain is VERY "remarkable". I have no idea if this has anything to do with the scary pain of the day, but I drank a cup of coffee and 30 minutes later laid down in bed and got an intense stabbing pain(like a Charlie horse almost) underneath center breastbone that radiated in my back and 3 inches right of my spine. Could a hiatal hernia do this? Pleurisy? I had a chest X-ray in December 2016 and they found nothing at that time except for winged ribs from arthritis.

4 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

hi guys!

i am very much relieved to hear that i am not alone in this. been having episodes of acid reflux since 2009 and been getting worse every single day. had taken medications like nexium, pantoprazole, refluxid duo, gaviscon, etc. it only offers a temporary relief to the reflux and pain. last january this year, had the chance to get an endoscopy. found out that i got hh. had pantoprazole again for 21 days as well as antibiotics because there's also the presence of h. pylori in my gut.

as usual, temporary relief only. a week after finishing with my meds, acid reflux attacked again along with chest pain and back pain, just the like what you guys are feeling. i dunno know, feels like it's a never ending episode of reflux and pain. i don't smoke. i have a small body type. been reading and researching about treatments. been to a lot of forums about it and so far its the thought that i am not alone in this battle that makes me feel better. i feel you guys. let's all hope that a better treatment and management regarding this condition would be discovered soon.

• Posted

Hi

Just wondering hows your pains now ?

Been suffering from last

month, pains on my shoulder blades like a knot , my back, painh under breast bone etc

Had hiatal hernia from 2015, gastritis and not sure what hh trigerred.

Was rushed to emergency as i thought was having a mild heart attack, burning pain on my chest and i feel like timgling or numb radiates to my left arm. Had tests for clots, chest xray came out normal.

im going for colonoscopy & gastroscopy next week 😦 ... hope all will be resolved. hard to live like this..

• Posted

so happy to find this thread! i have been suffering for months with acid reflux, burping, pain in my left side. I thought it might be an ulcer but don't have any bleeding which I think might be expected with that?! The doctors think its muscle skeletal but why the burping and acid reflux! They won't send me for any gi tests because they're convinced its not that! They did do a blood test for h-pylori and that was negative. I seem to burp more when I move which makes me think its maybe a HH and after reading everyones stories here I think its worth exploring as a cause! Anyway I tried a PPI but gave me terrible stabbing stomach pains so came off it. Have changed my diet loads and that doesn't seem to be having as much affect as I'd like. Going to research acupunture to help it because my stepdad found that the only thing that helped!

• Posted

This thread is so helpful, thank you!

Ive been suffering for so many years and watched my mum get so ill with hers and there is nothing they can to to help, so i get quite scared. I have a friend who's mother was helped by a chiropractor many years ago and she didn't t ever suffer again, although I have heard its not a cure. (They seem to think its a cure in other countries) But she did seem to be cured! So if anyone can recommend a chiropractor i would be so grateful. I think its worth a try...even if regular visits are needed. All chiropractors I can find, don't seem to go much beyond curing backs....

• Posted

Hello everyone

I haven't as yet been diagnosed with HH but am convinced that I have now developed one. I was diagnosed with esophageal dysmotility around 2 years ago and have acid reflux. Over Christmas 2020 I had awful stabbing and electric shock pains in my chest and also now get sharp pains in my shoulder. I'm currently on a double dose of omeprazole 40mg. My gp won't send me for another endoscopy as my last one 2 years ago was clear. I find that if I put any pressure or strain on my abdominal or stomach area it worsens my symptoms so typically do my housework on a Friday and find that I'm then bad all weekend. I find I am better standing up rather than sitting and have had a wedge pillow since Christmas. My symptoms are worse after I've eaten or sometimes drink. I'm debating whether to see private consultant to get some answers. It's an awful thing to live with and I find I don't enjoy food as much anymore I just eat because I have to.

• Edited

halesb74,

Were you diagnosed with just esophageal dysmotility or a more specific condition such as achalasia, a primary esophageal motility disorder? Achalasia is when the muscles in your esophagus fail to squeeze your food down, and failure of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES; muscle ring that allows food in stomach and suppose to inhibit food/acid from coming back up) to relax which doesn't allow food to enter the stomach as it should. Lower LES pressure causes GERD too. Although this diagnosis is rare, it can occur. Esophageal spasms can have the same symptoms as well but not always related to food and may only last minutes to hours. These can be treated with medications and surgery. Also, peppermint oil is suppose to help as it is a natural muscle relaxer, kicker here is it also lowers LES pressure and can cause GERD. But if it helps relieve a spasm (if that is what it is) it may be worth a shot.

Other tests that may help if you have not had them already that can also show hiatal hernia if doctor does not want to order another EGD are a manometry (tube down nose- checks function of esophagus and LES) and a barium swallow which is like an x-ray while drinking this chalky stuff which should show hernia even if its a sliding one.

I have had GERD for years and thought it was under control with intermittent use of omeprazole. If I felt like I had a pill stuck in my throat I knew it wasn't, so I would take my meds until went away. One morning I tried taking my morning vitamins and eating my cereal and they felt like they got stuck in my chest. Here I am 6 weeks later, one EGD down that showed chronic inactive gastritis, medium-sized hernia and Celiac disease. GI doctor wanted me to go to allergist to rule out allergy causing esophageal spasms in which tests were ok and allergist said he didn't think allergies would do it unless I had EoE which was ruled out with EGD biopsy. Had manometry almost 2 weeks ago to rule out or in achalasia, still waiting on results. Oddly in how incomfortable it was getting started as she had a hard time getting the tube down as it got hung up on my hernia, it felt like the water went into my stomach very quickly compared with the slow feeling I get from lower sternum to stomach all other times. Did the weight of the manometry push my hernia out of the way or do something with my LES to allow transmit? Guess I'll see with the results.. or at least I hope so.

I have lost 10 pounds so far, it's affected all areas of my life including sleep as many nights I have to sleep almost sitting up, and can't think straight, probably from not eating right, nor taking my vitamins as I always have and lack of sleep. Since manometry, I have a constant cramping feeling in my upper stomach that now radiates to my chest and between shoulder blades that can increase when I try to eat/drink something. I'm ready to just go to a surgeon and ask for my hernia to be repaired as I feel it has something to do with that.. But I'm so over all this.

One thing I haven't tried nor heard of is the chiropractic manipulation that I am seeing posted on here. Does anyone have any suggestions or have more info on chiropractor?

I hope things get resolved for you!

• Posted

3 years ago I was diagnosed with a Hiatus hernia and Gerd. controlled by x2 omeprazole tablets per day .things have mostly been OK till 6weeks ago I caught compilerbacta food poisoning causing gastroenteritis. since then I have been troubled with acid reflux stomach discomfort and terrible back pains I assume through my Hiatus hernia the doctor as prescribed Gaviscon advanced for the acid stomach but no advice for my back pain .its OK in the morning no pains anywhere but as the day goes on after food etc. it becomes a nuisance. hope this isn't going to be the future as its going to be pretty depressing 😕

• Posted

I've just come across this and hoping it's still active! I have had three endoscopies in the past - all have confirmed hiatus hernia. Last measured in 2014 at 4cm. I started having awful GERD symptoms in September 2020 - worst heartburn ever and pain at the top of my stomach, radiating through to my back, often between my shoulder blades. I have IBS too. I also started getting very sore mouth, throat and ears. GP hopeless so I saw a private gastro. Got an endoscopy with biopsies in April 2021 - mild (does not feel mild to me!) oesophagitis, GERD and all biopsies clear. But no hernia! No sign of it. Was sent for upper abdominal ultrasound to check gallbladder (I've had stones for a while), but a kidney tumour was also found. So that took precedence and I was urgently given biopsies and relieved to say it's benign. Saw a different gastro about my gallbladder and he was so vague - didn't think all my symptoms matched gallbladder problems, but refused to discuss what else it could be! So I'm back where I started. I really, really do not want my gallbladder removed - the original gastro said that would make my IBS worse.

So I am seeing the original gastro on Oct 15th and I am determined to get another test for haitus hernia. I guess I am not alone in the pains I have and interested to know if anyone has been told this pain is HH?

I am eating such a bland, restricted diet and have rapidly lost weight. Also taking 40mg esomeprazole and Gaviscon Advance.

I am depressed, exhausted, pale and sick. x

• Posted

hey i just found this and i know its been like 4 years since you posted but im having very similar pains and problems as you are. i had an inguinal hernia repaired on my right groin about 2 years ago and have had shooting pain in my right shoulder blade , lower back, leg and also tmj. iv also been having auto immune disease like problems. you wont be able to find info on this anywhere but as someone whos been expeincing extreem cronic pain and as someone whos seen countless people complain about the same pain and gets the same responces from doctors i am 100% sure there is a link between hernia mesh and "unexplainable" cronic pain. This mesh seems to cause the same group of complications that most doctors fail to recognize and blow off as some other disorder or disease. i think it most likely has something to do with the way it interacts with the nervous system and or other systems in our body that blocks the flow of energy in our bodies. with the amount of people suffering from this im shocked there isnt more focus on this subject and that doctors are willing to turn away patients for their unexplainable pain when theres one common demominator. im sure you have all this figured out by now if you even see this but if anyone else stumbles upon this just know that your opinion on whats going on in your body is not just opinion it is FACT because it is YOUR body and its not a stretch to say that if a foreign object (hernia mesh) is placed inside of you and you start to have pain and other problems its most likely being caused by the mesh(even if doctors say otherwise)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.