Hiatus Hernia? My symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I am a 41 year old female. In April this year I started to have severe nausea, pain in right shoulder blade, burning pain in centre of shoulder blades. This has been going on and off where some weeks I am taking Ibuprofen every day then some weeks I feel fine. Recently this has progressed to massive bloating to the extent I feel I can't breath, burning pain in centre of chest, pains in arms. In the last week I've had 2 of these 'attacks' one of which took me to A&E. ECG shows heart is fine, doc has referred me to GI Consultant. I've already had gallstones ruled out by ultrasound. It feels like something is twisted at the very top of my stomach.

Anyone else have/had similar.

I am thinking it is hiatus hernia. I had no idea it could be so debilitating and am so wiped out today.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Having hiatus hernia and any inflammation of the gullet can cause all of these symptons. There are a lot of people suffering with this and feeling miserable on the 'bad' days. I do hope you get some relief soon.
  • Posted

Hi Caroline

I have just been to the Docs this morning, this is the third time i have been in two months. This is total misery for us all, you have my sympathy. At last he has referred me to the hospital for a scope. I believe i have a hernia too. I am fed up with the tiredness, lump in throat, pain in my ears, backpain, hoarseness, the list goes on and on. I've had this for about 10 months now and the stress is something else. In fact i have been so stressed by it all he has given me tablets for anxiety. I have started to take them today along with nexium. Nexium in my opinion is of no use at all. This is a great forum for anyone who has or is suffering from this. You feel as if the doctors are not listening to you. Some days i feel great but on other days i feel miserable. In fact i have just had the worse four days of my life. Keep us posted as to how you get on and if you need anyone to talk to, well, as you can see there are plenty of us here with this condition. Take care.Bye.

• Posted

aww thanks for the replies.

Since posting I have had 2 'attacks' which I can only describe as writing around in agony as if my stomach is on fire, hot/cold sweats, can't stand up, can't sit - worse than labour. My sister who had gallstones witnessed one attack and she said it was exactly like her gallstone attacks. However, they have ruled out gallstones in my case by doing an ultrasound. I am lucky enough to have private medical cover through work and am seeing a consultant on Wednesday. I will keep you posted. I just want an end to it, I have no idea how people cope with this long term.

• Posted

p.s. please let me know how you get on.

A family member 'helpfully' told me that I just needed to avoid spicy food and a hiatus hernia wasn't serious....hmm.

• Posted

Youve probably got a fair sized Stomach Ulcer [b:2ad31b2873]carolinep1[/b:2ad31b2873], sounds like its bleeding, youve got a rampant H.pylori infection in there, how are your number 2s? Bunged up, havent been the toilet for days or have you got strange black ones? You need a Gastroscopy asap smile
  • Posted

lol Number 2's are fine. GP prescribed Omzeporale (SP?), doesn't seem to be helping. One common factor is I've taken Ibuprofen because I've felt really rough and bloated/achy, then 20 mins later, the 'attack' starts. So stopping the Ibuprofen from now on, could that be causing them?
  • Posted

You may well have invisible (to ultrasound) crunchy sludge in your Gallbladder but never take Ibuprofen again, I wonder if youve got a baldy patch in your Stomach off them :shock: :? Yeah some people are very sensitive to it smile
  • Posted

Just a quick update, have been to see consultant who has referred me for endoscopy and a CT scan next week. He told me to carry on with the Omzeporale and the no fat, no tea coffee alcohol etc., for the time being......touch wood have had no attacks since doing this (and also not taking ibuprofen)...
  • Posted

Hello, another update. Have had endoscopy today which confirmed I have a hiatus hernia. He took biopsies and I am having X ray and CT scan on Friday. My results will be given on 3 August. The endoscopy was not as bad as I was expecting and I feel much better now it is out of the way. I have gone through my calendar and have noticed that my symptoms really flare up before my period is due, once it arrives, the symptoms die off. I am wondering if I am pre-menopausal and have a hormonal imbalance that is causing the nausea. Anyone else linked symptoms/attacks with the menstrual cycle?
    • Posted

I have the exact same issue with my herniated hiatus, approx 2 to 3 days before my period it's so painful, debilitating. I mentioned this to my doctor a few times now however he sees no corilation between them. I have been suffering with this for approx 3 or 4 years,,,  also had a bunch of blood work showing I am premenopausal. I'm curious how you are doing now and if you received any treatment that helped.
  • Posted

Hello, got my results - all clear apart from the hernia and a bit of inflammation. Have been told to carry on with omprezole and also prescribed buscopan. If it flares up again, he said there's a further test they can do on my gall bladder. Am praying the omprezole will sort it out.....
  • Posted

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for the updates, i posted earlier as dwilson. Since posting, I too have been diagnosed with a sliding hiatus hernia. At least we have peace of mind and maybe we can start to feel less stressed by it all. Sometimes i think stress plays a large part in how we feel, worrying needlessly about what if's and maybe this. Anyway, to everybody who reads this, once you have been diagnosed as to what is causing your symptons you do start to feel a LOT better. Thanks for reading and i wish everyone well who reads this forum

• Posted

hi caroline i have been reading your post.i have been getting the same feelings as you for nearly 2 years now.your theonly person i have heard that has the same symptoms as me .everyday i wake up my stomach starts of quite flat by the end of the day i look like i am 8 months pregnant .i am only 29 with a family i feel as if my whole life revolves around it.the worst part of having the hh is the massive bloating constantly everyday i am under a consultant and awaiting to hear if i can have the op.i have been tried on loads of different medication and none of them have worked for me so my last hope to get my life back for my family is the op.hopefully the consultant will yes i cant handle it anymore.anyone out there with any suggestion or advice can you please let me know i am very open to any suggestion.
  • Posted

Hi, just searching net and found this blog, I've had an operation recently for a hiatus hernia. I'm 33 and a family man and had the op 10 weeks ago and to be fair I dont get heartburn ect and dont have to take any medication anymore but I still get flatuence,burp alot and sometimes get pain whilst/after eating. The only good thing to come out of it is that I've lost 2 stone in weight..
  • Posted

I too have suffered with these symptoms for 1 yr now. I have had the endoscope which confirmed a hiatus hernia. In January of this year I was hospitalised for a week due to the pain. During the summer months (May to Aug), I suffered very little in the way of pain - just a little reflux; but now the cold weather is back, I am suffering a lot more pain & lack of appetite. Has anyone else suffered more in the cold weather? I am worried as I lost over a stone in weight last winter & I can't afford to lose much more. I am a 63 yr old female also on 40mg of omeprozole.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.