Hiatus Hernia? My symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I am a 41 year old female. In April this year I started to have severe nausea, pain in right shoulder blade, burning pain in centre of shoulder blades. This has been going on and off where some weeks I am taking Ibuprofen every day then some weeks I feel fine. Recently this has progressed to massive bloating to the extent I feel I can't breath, burning pain in centre of chest, pains in arms. In the last week I've had 2 of these 'attacks' one of which took me to A&E. ECG shows heart is fine, doc has referred me to GI Consultant. I've already had gallstones ruled out by ultrasound. It feels like something is twisted at the very top of my stomach.

Anyone else have/had similar.

I am thinking it is hiatus hernia. I had no idea it could be so debilitating and am so wiped out today.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

[quote:acd1df0a86=\"carolinep1\"]Hello, another update. Have had endoscopy today which confirmed I have a hiatus hernia. He took biopsies and I am having X ray and CT scan on Friday. My results will be given on 3 August. The endoscopy was not as bad as I was expecting and I feel much better now it is out of the way. I have gone through my calendar and have noticed that my symptoms really flare up before my period is due, once it arrives, the symptoms die off. I am wondering if I am pre-menopausal and have a hormonal imbalance that is causing the nausea. Anyone else linked symptoms/attacks with the menstrual cycle?[/quote:acd1df0a86]

Yes I think so too! I am not diagnosed on either front properly but finding this forum thanks to a friend who has been through similar. on menopausal sites it does say menopausal blood tests aren't conclusive but I think you will understand your own body and I have noticed in myself that around the time of my period symptoms do worsen, although it seems very few doctors believe me! you could be pre menopausal I wouldn't rule it out and I think that there is no text book menopause. good Luck and My sympathies too! Lou

• Posted

[quote:a4eab47b3d=\"jon80\"]hi caroline i have been reading your post.i have been getting the same feelings as you for nearly 2 years now.your theonly person i have heard that has the same symptoms as me .everyday i wake up my stomach starts of quite flat by the end of the day i look like i am 8 months pregnant .i am only 29 with a family i feel as if my whole life revolves around it.the worst part of having the hh is the massive bloating constantly everyday i am under a consultant and awaiting to hear if i can have the op.i have been tried on loads of different medication and none of them have worked for me so my last hope to get my life back for my family is the op.hopefully the consultant will yes i cant handle it anymore.anyone out there with any suggestion or advice can you please let me know i am very open to any suggestion.[/quote:a4eab47b3d]

hi i just found this post, iam 30yrs old wiv 4kids, i got diagosed wiv a h-hernia about 3yrs ago,i was on lanzoperzole then opmetrozole now summit else ya rite ev day i feel abut 8 month preg am bloated,av got heartburn all the time,hot n cold sweats,headaches,dizzy,nausea iam really sick of my life iam 15stone n the wieght is just goin up n up iam reali sick? I\"M waitin to see if the hos will do me the hernia repair so i can try get bk to normal iam so fed up? are you puttin on wieght hun :cry:

• Posted

Hi, I am a 25 year old female and have a hiatal hernia. My main symptoms are pain/pressure behind my sternum and a constant burning throat which is made worse by acid reducing drugs so I am currently just on Gaviscon. I too suffer more in the cold weather. When I get cold I have spasms under my diaphragm and I immediately feel increased pain/pressure where the hernia is. I wish I could afford to have the heating on more!!!!!

I am seeing the dr in a couple of days to beg for a referral to an ent to see if they can sort out the throat. I am fed up with doctors putting my symptoms down to anxiety. At least now I can go to the doctor armed with my endoscopy results which is proof that this isn't all just in my head

I have lost 4st already since I started getting bad symptoms 5 months ago. When I tell the doctors that I have lost all this weight they say to me \"well done\". I then have to explain to them that this is unintentional weight loss and very concerning. They then tell me that the weight loss is down to anxiety - infuriating.

• Posted

Hi im glad im not the only 25yr old with this problem. I was first ill in feb this year kept getting pain in ears, my glands kept swelling up, had a bad fever. i kept going back to the docs but they first thought i had glandular fever. Then i started grtting chest pain, back pain, burning chest i couldnt move. then i went to hospital for my scope and found i have a hitatus herina with alot of acid. Ive lost over a stone and half but there wasnt much to me anyway. i have tried all the tablets going and they made me worse and bed ridden. so now i cant take anything so got to go back to the docs because now i dont eat for 2-3 days because ive lost my apitite and when i do eat im in so much pain for the next 24hrs+. Ive just had enough dont know what to do any more. will just have to ring the docs tomorrow and make them listen.
  • Posted

Sorry its not a guaranteed answer but my 18 son has been having terrible pains just like you but its when ever he eats, he can get a way with little stuff like a sandwich but any normal meal he suffers with he is on normal antacid and due to see consultant soon, hope you feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.