Hiatus Hernia with back and arm pain

Posted , 52 users are following.

Help

Has anyone out there with a Hiatus Hernia experienced what feels like heartburn in your back and left arm. I have been diagnosedwith a Hiatus Hernia and take 30mg of Lansoprazoleonce a day and 10 of Motilium 3 times a day. But it doesn't seem to help the pain I have. I have had pain every single day for the past 2years and swapped between meds i.e omeprazole etc but nothing seems to work. I lot of the symptoms on research only states chest but I get it bad in my upper back around that knot thing in your kneck then it goes down my arm. Just wondered if anyone else has had this. Before I was diagnosed I thought I was dying I had seen every consultant you can imagine from heart,back brain to stomach. The docs seem to think now I know what it is I should feel less anxitey, well I don't as still feel really bad pain every day and meds not working.

3 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am in my first year of unexplained abdominal pain & discomfort. My symptoms can point to a hiatal hernia, but like I said not one doctor has given me a definitive diagnosis and I've done multiple sonograms and blood/urine/stool tests.

I was wondering if anyone here experiences a pressure or something that can be described as feeling like an "air bubble" or scar tissue (painless, a little tender, and uncomfortable) in the abdominal area upon laying on their stomach? This is the oddest, most consistent symptom I have right now, hopeful that someone else feels this is farmilliar...

I read about air bubbles being trapped, fluid filled sacs, or even abdominal wall pain. Most of my excess weight is in my abdomen and my BMI is above 30, in the obese range. I vaguely remember doing a side stretch during yoga and experiencing a shooting pain that didn't cause any issues until a week or so later. I started getting pain in that area, especially after eating. Now I get dull aches and pains all over my abdomen and middle back, but the only consistency is this pressure "air bubble" when I lay on stomach. I've had lots of different symptoms over this year, including pain/numbness in my left arm that seemed to be connected to my coinciding burning pain in the middle chest & back, that sometimes even included scary shortness of breath.

It is so frustrating to have issues like this and no diffinitive results after numerous tests.

• Posted

Any updates?  I feel the same way. Almost went to er tonight with pains
  • Posted

I have all of these symptoms and am curious to hear if you have found any relief or answers.
  • Posted

I have all of these symptoms and am curious to hear if you have found any relief or answers.
  • Posted

Hello,

I have been having the same symptoms since Jan 2015. The symptoms do get better with diet and meds but I found out and researched about acupuncture . I thought it was crazy but I was tired of pain. I did the treatment and found relief 24 hours later . It cured my pain until I decided to eat something bad again. I make regular visits now to acupuncture but it works .

• Posted

What kind of diet do you do?  I am in quite a big of pain and scheduled endoscopy in mid december just to make sure it is nothing else. 
    • Posted

I have had my first accupuncture session today.  Some of the needles were more uncomfortable than others the ones on my left hand side specifically my wrist and leg.  But it wasn't painful just felt weird will be intersting to see if it helps I have another session booked for next week.

• Posted

how did you find your scope? i am scared to death at the thought of it! i have pains when i swallow or burp under my right shoulder blade - that  come as a twinge then disapear after each swallow or burp! what was your outcome?
    • Posted

I had a scope OF the stomach and i had bleeding ulcers but this time they found a LARGE hiatal hernia that is 5 to 6 in wide the scope was easy the surgery is going to be a tough one I haven't burped in 2 yrs forgot what it's like but they say that's 1 of the things that happen with a hernia the burping I think it's because it's so large Myback also hurts where mt bra strap is I am having 1 more test tomorrow before I have my surgery I have 1 of the best surgeon in the state I'm a little scared because they say it's very painful and I'll have to stay in the hospital fo 3 days but I'm looking forward to no more pain I'm just want to get this over ill no on Monday I hope when I have the surgery if I eat anything even a small cookie I'm in so much pain it just sits in the pit of my stomach like it can't go down .i just had some test done in Charlotte where you drink some barium to see if it go's down they said I would have a lot of burping like I guzzled a soda but I couldnt burp not even once but 1 of the signs of a hiatal hernia is excessive burping I think mine is way to big it also makes me feel like I can't breath don't wait to long they can  strangle and you can die from that 

• Posted

So. Had my esophageal done today what an ordeal they don't put you to sleep and the put a tube about 15 in long flexible but they go in your nose and down into the stomach I had loads of pressure in that area which I already new it is very painful but they said the esophagus is working thank god she new exactly what I'm going through and told me I needed this surgery done asap she also said I would feel a major diff after the surgery not looking forward to the surgery but I can't Waite to feel better my hiatal hernia is now about 6 in wide an I haven't burped in 2 yrs she said that was because of the size of the hernia waiting for the news to when the surgery will be scheduled 

• Posted

Hi Tammyshernia, I've got a hiatus hernia and it's a nightmare, always get pains in chest and regurgitation along with feeling generally fed up 🙁. After having all those awful tests the consultant has said I'm a good candidate for the nissan fundifocation op to repair the hernia. This happens on 6th Feb and I'm really nervous but none of the meds work on me. Although I have to have a liquid diet for 6 week after the op, it has to be worth it, been like this on and off for 3 years now and it's no fun.

• Posted

Has your dr have you go for a test called the esophageal test that's a crucial test to make sure your esophagus is working right he wouldn't even do my surgery without that test being done it's not a fun test trust me people come from all over the state for this dr I'm really happy with him....they as in another dr told me it was my gallbladder which I thought it would take care of this did do a thing for me I haven't been on any meds I have no heartburn or shoulder pain I guess it's now beyond that now it's was 5 in I really believe it's worse now they have to pick the liver up to get to the hernia not sure if they told you that and after the surgery they say most of the pain he in the shoulder not sure why what state do you live in

• Posted

im not on any diet it's now beyond diet with the size of it ..it's hard to eat anything it's hard to even tie my shoes because of the size of it

• Posted

I have a very large hiatal hernia like 8 cm.  Probably close to your size.  I don't always have problems, in fact I went for two weeks just a few weeks ago with not a sign of pain.  It does get really bad and only happens when I have been eating but we went on a cruise during those 2 weeks and ate whatever and no problem.  I am on prilosec but I am too scared to have the surgery.  Please let me know more how it went and how you were before and now.  God Bless!

• Posted

I have severe anxiety and recently I started having a lot of burping, stomach burning, pain in between my shoulder blades and upper back area, left arm pain, sore throat on one side. I saw my gp today and she did an ekg to rule out my heart. She is referring me to the cardiologist due to a slight sinus arrhythmia. She wasn't concerned about it, but it made me a little nervous. I told her I feel like I'm also suffering from acid reflux. I can hear my stomach make noises a lot and I get a weird burning, cold feeling in the stomach and throat sometimes. Does anyone else get these symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.