Hiatus Hernia Worries and Concerns

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi i was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about 2 months ago. I had such severe chest pains i genuinely thought i was having a heart attack, after chest xrays and multiple other tests they said it was this hiatus hernia. I was put on to omeprazole but the chest pain didn't ease. I find night times are alot more painful than day time, After eating it feels like a big pressure behind the left side of my chest and almost like i can feel every bit of food or drink going down, the chest pain / pressure worries me so much and i'm convinced despite what doctors have told me that its something more serious. I have now been put onto esomeprazole but still doesn't complete get rid of the pains. I'm so scared and new to all of this please can anyone help or relate to these feelings?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been having the same symptoms . I had EKG but never had a scope done. Hopefully I can get the scope done soon to see whats going on.i am sick of feeling this way. Left side of chest hurts especially after I eat. When I sleep it does not bother me at all. When I wake up them it starts.I just started taking nexium and Zantac 150 and it helps some. Hope you start feeling better,
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie

I've been dealing with for over 2 years now I've had all the test down heart EKG echo stress test every test except the cath it took some time time before your mind will be at ease it's unfortunately just how this thing works it presses on your vagus nerve and can cause pain I. A variety of areas I get pain daily it's just how it is

As for the surgery they do not last they undo themselves or blow open after a hard sneeze or vomiting

There is no cure but there are options for surgery you should discuss with a GI dr

Good luck there are several threads on here about hiatal hernia and Barrett's although you may not have Barrett's the symtoms are the same check them out

Good luck your not crazy try looking at some YouTube videos about self adjustments

Luck to you

• Posted

Hi, I have an Hiatus Hernia and get awful chest pain in the upper chest. I am on the waiting list for a Barium Swallow. I also get palpitations on and off and wonder if they are caused by the hernia too.

Can't wait for the scan to see what's going on. I am on Lansoprazole but still got the symptoms.

I had an Endoscopy and was told I had a mild Hiatus Hernia. I read somewhere that the Barium Swallow is the only scan that shows how small or big the Hernia is.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I just get so scared the pain can sometimes be so sharp, then other times its just like something has got stuck behind the left side of my chest and its constant for hours. So uncomfortable and worrying. I think I will go back to the doctors as the tablets don't seem to be completely helping the problem.
  • Posted

Kerry,

Try taking two tablespoons of molasses .

My left side of my chest was hurting so bad and took some molasses and it seemed to help. The taste was horrible but it was worth it. Also, make sure you stay on your acid reflux diet. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks boofie I will give that a go smile
  • Posted

Hi Kerry, I've had a nightmare with this for 2 years, I have constant pain under my right rib, terrible bloating, I feel like my diaphragm will explode!!, I'm convinced it's something bad but after having so many test they have given up on me and told me it's all in my head!!!, my life is a misery xx
  • Posted

Hi lesley, I know your feelings completely, I get the bloating too. Although being diagnosed with the hiatus hernia should at least tell me thats what is wrong but because the tablets don't really do the job my heads telling me its something more serious. The pains are just so severe and so worrying its hard to reason with myself. Did they give you anything to take lesley x
    • Posted

Hi again, yes they have thrown lots of different tablets at me, none of them have worked!. I have a sliding hietias hernia, but they say that that wouldn't be giving me the pain! Some days like today are worse than others, fatty foods are a no no, I've stopped dairy and tea makes me bad!. I hardly know what to eat anymore!, even a little amount and I feel completely stuffed, I look pregnant by the end of the day. I like you feel it's something more serious 😁x
  • Posted

Having a bad night tonight. Pain has been so bad today all day, again on the left side of my chest, feel so tired and occassionally quite dizzy. the left chest pain has been quite intense. So worried, can this really be so intense yet just a hernia? 
    • Posted

I've had a couple of bad days as well, pain on both sides and feel like my stomach is going to split open!. Can you get a second opinion Kerry?, you can't live like this, I just keep pushing and pushing!. I've spoke to hundreds of people with hernias and some have said they have had terrible pain, couldn't breathe, down on all fours ect!!!. Doesn't seem real that it can cause all this pai does it!!!xx
    • Posted

Hi, i have a HH also on a PPI and had 9 months of misery. I get a pain under my left rib. There are up and downs but mostly down, i have cut out wheat, bread etc. this has helped with the stomach bloating. I lost about 6 kg since this HH due to my change of diet not eating greasy, fatty, spicy foods, fissy cooldrinks, alchohol etc but if you do not the reflux is worse. Good luck take each day as it comes.
    • Posted

I think i will try lesley to get a 2nd opinion this week. i've not been too bad during the day but night times are becoming really difficult, and you're right it doesn't seem right in terms of pain, i get so scared. Dave i think i may have to try cutting out certain foods and see if that helps, i admittedly don't have the best of diets so it would be good for me to try and really cut out more of the fatty foods
    • Posted

Went back to the doctors today, now been put on motilium domperidone on top of the esomeprazole and more blood tests and thankfully finally referred to go have a Gastroscopy, Atleast i will hopefully get some answers now for definite...despite being nervous about the results 
    • Posted

Hi Kerry, at least you are having something done now. I received a letter yesterday from the hospital to make an appointment for a Barium Swallow. I only waited 3 months for the scan. My pain seems to be worse in the morning and wears off towards the evening.

Good luck with the tests.

• Posted

Thanks Merryl, yes this is true, i'm glad something is finally being done i just hope it isn't too long a wait. I have the opposite it seems to be ok in the morning but alot worse in the evening. Hope everything goes ok for you also smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.