Hiatus Hernia Worries and Concerns

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi i was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about 2 months ago. I had such severe chest pains i genuinely thought i was having a heart attack, after chest xrays and multiple other tests they said it was this hiatus hernia. I was put on to omeprazole but the chest pain didn't ease. I find night times are alot more painful than day time, After eating it feels like a big pressure behind the left side of my chest and almost like i can feel every bit of food or drink going down, the chest pain / pressure worries me so much and i'm convinced despite what doctors have told me that its something more serious. I have now been put onto esomeprazole but still doesn't complete get rid of the pains. I'm so scared and new to all of this please can anyone help or relate to these feelings?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

And here we are again, another bad night, its been about an hour since i ate tea, i have the worst chest pain i have ever had all on the left/middle and some slight stomach discomfort but also a slight pain in my left arm, As always starting to panic....trying to relax and tell myself it will be ok and that it is just the hiatus hernia doing what it does. i hate this so much
    • Posted

I work in school kitchens, so when i'm off term times i eat well and have less pain, being back at school and picking and its all kicked off again. Due to the lack of help from doctors anymore, i'm really trying to self help. Ive cut out Diary, gluten, Fried food, and salad was the worst!!!> Tea, fizzy, booze!!, what an exciting life eh!!. Water, Fish and veg!. No red meat or anything thats hard to digest!. Still have pain all day, lost for ideas now!!!, bloating is bloody hidious!!! Stoping me from having a social life!!! :-(
    • Posted

I have been having pain for four years on and off. I thought it was costochondritis at first. My father n law has acid reflux and he told me to take  two nexiums a day  for a week or two. I have been doing it for five days now and I feel great! Gonna have to go knock on some wood. Lol! Hope you get some relief soon.
    • Posted

I know how you feel lesley in terms of being lost for ideas, i have tried changing things and cutting things out altogether. The pain last night was so hurrendous in the end my partner took me to hosp, they kept me in overnight i have had blood tests, ecgs, xrays but all ok, just makes no sense to me. They say its something gastric related whether its definitely the hiatus hernia or a stomach ulcer. I just could not believe all that pain to the point i didnt know what to do with myself yet apparently im fine. its so hard to get your head around. 
    • Posted

I have Ranitidine which i believe is zantac, doesn't do a thing, nor has all the other pills iv'e had thrown at me!, just makes the pain worse!! I just wish something would work!!! :-(
    • Posted

that is the thing, i dont mind taking anything as long as it works. its so disheartening changing everything, trying different medications and still have no relief from it all
    • Posted

what are nexiums ? wonder if they might work for me. 
    • Posted

Nexium is esomeprazole, an anti reflux drug, didn't work for me :-(
  • Posted

I get severe chest pains and pain in my shoulder blades. I feel the same way and convince myself that I have a heart condition. I can also be worse at night time and have to ask my partner to rub my back and wind me like a baby. I am taking omneprezole which sometimes works. My GP diagnosed a hiatus hernia but I havent had any tests. Its good to know I am not alone with these symptoms it can be really depressing.  
    • Posted

It gets me down too gillian. Its taken for me to go to A&E to get the ball rolling with tests. I too was diagnosed the hiatus hernia with no actual tests done. I am now booked for a ultrasound to check for gallstones and a gastroscopy to check for ulcers or hernia. I hope things get better for you. I think sometimes its the not knowing 100% that causes all the worrying. ..that leads to no rest and that leads to more pain and feeling horrible. Im hoping to just get an answer so I know exactly why im feeling like I do
    • Posted

Hi Kerry,

I've just been diagnosed with a 4cm hiatus hernia and this was after I had a gastroscopy. I've had a really irritating cough for around 5 years and believe it's related. The GP has given me omeprazole and I've just started taking it. I'm very worried about diet and what might happen next and wondered how your getting on and if you can offer me some help and assurance 

• Posted

Hi Kerry.

I have the same problem. I had a bleeding ulcer about 7 years ago and I worry every time I get acid reflux thinking it might start bleeding again. I just had an Endoscopy and was told I have a 3 to 4cm sliding hiatus hernia and my ulcer is still there but not bleeding " thank god ".. Most days I feel like I'm having a heart attack.

I take Esomeprazole 40mg a day and sometimes up it to 80mg a day for a couple of days when things are bad. And when the Alien is bursting its way through my chest I take a Peptac drink just for that quick fix.

By reading this forum I can see there are a lot of people with this problem , and different things work for people.

I eat lots of bananas and honey to help me ''' it works sometimes......

Good luck with yours.

I hope you find your " quick fix "

David

• Posted

I just joined and appreciate hearing everyone's stories, some of which are very similar to me and my symptoms.  I've been diagnosed with gallstones and a small hiatal hernia.  I have good days and bad days with a lot of spasming, left chest pain and throbbing at times.  I am on omeprazole which I take when I get up in the morning.  My pain is usually the worst mid-late afternoon and calms down right as I'm leaving work.  My doctor doesn't seem concerned about either of these diagnoses and says my gallbladder isn't inflamed, so that is good.  I myself feel I'm on a time-bomb and waiting for something to burst.  Was dizzy a couple of times yesterday and took some sugar and seemed fine afterwards.  So I guess doctor knows best and will just take this day-to-day.  Thanks everyone.

• Posted

Hi Cathleen83218.

I have a small hiatal hernia as well and just experienced the worst chest pain a couple of days ago and ended up at the er. It's crazy  to think that such a small thing can make us feel so bad.

I have bad and good days and I get dizzy as well ...I will try and take some sugar like you did and see if that would help.

I live in constant fear that it's something far worse than that despite the Dr s reports.

I pray we all get well and live a healthy long life.

• Posted

Keep going everyone.. I been having left chest pain for nearly 6 years now. Did two ecg tests since and both fine.. It rules out anything really serious but your mind tells you other things I know.. I had a camera down my throat.. Horrible but found a hernia. Only diet changes can help.. Its finding what is right for you. I take nexium. That seems to help me. I get weird sensations in top left of chest but I just tell myself it ain't serious. I get pains top left of chest too.. Sometimes they scare me but my doc said if it was related to the heart I would probably not be here now.. Straight to the point.. Was great reading these posts thinking I'm not alone.. Does really put your mind at rest.. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi stevieboy.it s really nice to know we are not alone .

Chest pain and pain under my left rib are an eeveryday thing for me.

I thank God it's a pain that I can tolerate.

Thanks for contributing stevie!

• Posted

Hi

Iv'e had the same problem for 3 years.Sometimes I think i"m having a heart attack,have rushed to the ER room several times and all ok.Doctors don't believe you when you say you are in pain,they say it's impossible for the hernia to cause so much pain.I've tried every kind of medicine,done the scope,barium swallow etc,they all say it's a hiatus hernia.Sometimes I can go for weeks feeling fine,eating anything I want.Then all of a sudden I just start having all these pains again,in my chest,my arms,pressure on your chest etc.Seems like there is nothing to do,all the doctors I've seen don' t recommend operations.I suppose you just have to live with it and suffer.Sometimes i just pop stillpane all day long to stop the pain it gets so bad.

Docotors have actually told me I'm psychotic and belong in a mental institute,they just don't believe you can be in so much pain...I feel your frustration...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.