hiding your drink problem at work

Posted , 8 users are following.

how do you hide your drink problem when you work 40 hours a week and some of that is driving

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did the same once. Smashed my car up and banned for three

years. I have hidden drink all the time whilst at work too. I would not advise it at all.

• Posted

I wonder if they would now consider, with the drink driving awareness course you take to reduce your ban, giving some of the medical help out along with the unit counting skills.  I think that might really help a lot of us.  Get to a wide number if people too to reduce the NHS costs.  If I have to drive the next day I always make sure I stop at the maximum number of units!
  • Posted

Hi John, based on your post I would say you are already hiding it, however, if your job involves driving are you not concerned that you might be over the DD limit some or a lot of the time?
    • Posted

BTW not being judgemental have 2 DDs to my name so know what it's like and how life destroying that can be.
  • Posted

I can only give you the answer that I (and everybody else) SHOULD give you, John.

At the moment, you have an alcohol problem and that is affecting you and the people closest to you. There are options to help resolve that problem and you should look carefully for one which will work for you.

Once you have gone out drunk and killed somebody's son, daughter, husband or wife, or put somebody in a wheelchair for the rest of their life, you will not only be in prison but you will be living with the fact that you wrecked other people's lives. That will NEVER leave you until the day you die.

Get help and don't let your problem ruin the lives of others who just happen to cross your path.

It is not your fault that you have an alcohol problem, but it IS your responsibility to do what you need to in order to sort it out. It is also your responsibility that you don't put your own, your family's or anybody else's life at risk by drinking and driving.

• Posted

Hi Paul. I went to my gp back in March to request a detox

Programme. I have heard nothing as yet although the referral has been made. Alcohol is destroying my life and my two sons are ignoring me. It is breaking my heart. Each day I vow to stop but I am finding it so difficult. My friends and work colleagues are understandably sick of my behaviour. I don't know where to turn. I went to cut sessions, but they did not work. I have

attended as but found it religious, which I am not. I have also referred myself to counselling through work too. Any advice? Thank you. Lorraine

• Posted

Bit over the top that reply I wasn't saying I drink at work and I've never drunk over the limit mainly about the shaking hands that's it
    • Posted

Hi John, I am sure Paul did not mean to offend, but my question would be are you sure you are always under the limit?  I drink a lot at the weekend and I actually have to note my units down and then make sure by the time I get in the car to go to the supermarket I am just on or under the limit and believe me sometimes its as late as 4pm in the afternoon!!!
    • Posted

Paul as not offended me I think he's got a lot of good advice and can't fault him

I work on a philosophy of one hour per unit of alcohol for your liver to process

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

I understand completely your aversion to the. AA and the 12 steps. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't confront my excessive drinking.

When I heard about nalmefene and more recently the Sinclair Method it changed my life more than any religion ever could!!

Get a prescription, take the tablets, they work!!! 😁

• Posted

The Sinclair Method is a way to get off drink while still drinking using nalmefene to break the addiction.

Read this book: The Cure For Alcoholism. The Medically Proven way to Eliminate Alcohol Addiction. By Roy Eskapa PhD

Download it from Amazon, it's amazing!!

• Posted

Unfortunately, Lorraine, the NHS has very limited resources when it comes to alcohol treatments. Often people do get sent to 'counselling' in which they are told to cut back and keep a drinking diary. Many people here will tell you that that is next to impossible.

How much are you drinking a day?

It is unfortunate that society treats alcohol addiction as a bad behaviour and even the family of people with alcohol problems tend to blame them. This is totally inaccurate and is, in my view, a scandal that a physical illness is treated in this way by medical staff and society as a whole.

I suggest that you read about The Sinclair Method which explains alcohol addiction as a physical illness and not as a behaviour problem. It is also worth asking your sons to watch the documentary 'One Little Pill.' I can tell you how to get access to that if you send me a private message. It may convince them that your alcohol problem is NOT your fault or a lifestyle choice.

• Posted

John. I constantly surprise people who have not had a drink since the night before but are more than double the driving limit by early afternoon the next day when I take an alcometer reading.

I am sorry, it appears that I misread your post which appeared to me to suggest that you may sometimes be over the limit when driving. I meant no offence and it was directed at ANYBODY who is tempted to drive after drinking.

For your own piece of mind, it is worth getting an alcohol meter. Halfords sell them. I am pretty sure that many many people drive when over the legal alcohol limit the day after drinking, including people that don't even have an alcohol problem.

• Posted

That is an average figure, John, one unit per hour. It varies greatly between people.
    • Posted

I agree with Michael here. The book is well worth reading, and watching the documentary 'One Little Pill' is another 'essential' for anybody who has an alcohol problem. It will completely change your view and probably make you feel a LOT better about yourself.
    • Posted

Thanks Michael. I am prepared to try anything. I am going back

to work tomorrow after a week off. Not looking forward to it but I need to try and get back to normal. My work colleagues, I know, are talking behind my back but they do not understand. If I had a broken leg they would sympathise, when drink is something you constantly think about it is not easy.

• Posted

Thanks Paul. I have been drinking anything and sometimes up to 20 or more units a day. I am back at work tomorrow and I know I am being talked about. Like I said to Michael, if I had a broken

leg they would sympathise. I have not had a drink today, it is not easy as it is all I want. This is so selfish especially when my

family are ignoring me. I should be thinking about them.

• Posted

Your family need to understand the problem better. A couple of other people have asked me for a link to access the video 'One Little Pill.' I'll send it to you too in a private message. It's well worth watching for you and your family.
    • Posted

Best of Luck Lorraine!!! 😁 we will all be rooting for you!!! 😁

Don't worry about your work colleagues, just keep your head down and keep busy!! 😁

• Posted

Hi Paul. So I need your help re nalmefene. I want to control my binges( twice this year for 1/2 days). Don't like naltrexone as you have to take it everyday and I go weeks, months sober. So should I download stuff re nalmefene to Dr as she doesn't know about it? Please help and thanks if you do reply ...
    • Posted

I am not sure why you think you have to take Naltrexone every day. For The Sinclair Method, whether you use Naltrexone or Nalmefene, you ONLY take a pill before you drink (90 minutes to 2 hours before your first drink.)

Naltrexone was the original drug used, then Nalmefene came along which is considered to be a superior drug and has less impact on the liver (although neither have as much impact on the liver as alcohol! smile )

Nalmefene is licenced in the UK for treatment of alcohol problems, Naltrexone is not. The guidelines for Nalmefene prescribing are that a man should be drinking around 7.5 units a day, and a woman 5 units. I think there is concern that if people drinking larger amounts take Nalmefene and don't feel like drinking, they are at risk of alcohol withdrawal symptoms. The immediate view expressed by people to is '7.5 units? Someone drinking that doesn't need help!' smile

It is also insisted upon that Nalmefene is only prescribed with 'psycho-social support' and that hasn't been clearly defined. Unfortunately, this often consists of sending a,patient to the local alcohol counselling service who tell them not to drink, which goes totally against the way that the drug is supposed to be used.

If anything, download stuff about The Sinclair Method and tell your GP that recent research shows alcohol to be a physical illness and NOT a behaviour problem. That there IS a physical treatment which works and has a 78% success rate in Finland. Suggest that she should be aware of this stuff.

If she wants to talk to me, tell her she is welcome to and I will explain it. I am sending you my telephone number by private message.

The big issue is that however much she finds out about Nalmefene, the local drug committees are reluctant to add it to the list of things that GPs can prescribe due to its cost of around £3 per tablet. They don't have the knowledge required to recognise that this could save them many thousands of pounds later on when they don't have to fork out for the treatment of serious health problems caused by longterm excessive drinking.

We keep trying to spread the word but we are against a multi-billion dollar world-wide rehab industry which relies on their less than 10% success rate and the repeat business that results from that.

• Posted

Paul, please explain to me what a "unit" is in the UK...here in Canada, we call a bottle of beer or glass of wine or cider or hard drink as having "one" drink. Each consists of different alcohol amounts, so here having more than 4-5 could put us well over our tolerance/limit. Any one of these is considered "over the limit" according to police.

Also, thank you for your remark about the NOT needing to take the Naltrexone daily as IS on my pill bottle. I will have to mention this to my DR so that he is more aware. I would print out your comment but know he won't read anything that I present to him other than medical reports from well known institutions like the BMJ.

This site is awesome and I have learned more here than anywhere else.

Thanks to all for your support.

• Posted

Wow! They said that? That is unbelievable. It doesn't work unless you drink after taking it. Read up on The Sinclair Method and you will be pleasantly surprised smile
    • Posted

A unit is generally known as about half a pint of standard strength beer, a small glass of wine or a single pub measure of spirts.

I am going to paste a link to a unit calculator below. I expect that it will take time for the moderator to approve it, so I will send the same link in a private message to you, Tim.

With regard to driving while under the influence of alcohol, so many people I get to blow into my alcometer are shocked when they realise that they are still double the driving limit the next morning. One recently said to me 'wow!! I just drove to the bank too, I thought I was fine.'

Many people, who do not believe that they drink and drive, DO, in the morning. They are very good and get a taxi home, then drive to work in a state that would get them a driving ban if they were pulled over.

It really is worth everybody who drinks a lot (even if it is only occasionally) getting an alcometer from a local car accessories dealer or online, so you can avoid taking this risk, not only with your driving licence, but your life and the lives of others.

• Posted

Yes and these are reputable psychiatrists. So is naltrexone and nalmefene basically the same thing? Sorry it must be tiresome for you getting asked the same thing over and over again!
    • Posted

They both do the same thing, Paper Fairy. Naltrexone was around first and Nalmefene was devloped more recently. Nalmefene is regarded as a superior drug by some (although those who originally used Naltrexone are happy to continue using it). Nalmefene is also more gentle on the liver eliminating the need for Liver Function Tests (Blood test) before starting on the drug.
    • Posted

I give up! I'm weak. I luv your special but still have a hard time with my cravings ....I wish....one day I will. I have a new love (sk) who is an enablilor.

Hard to to this, but love knows no bondaries. We do well. Lets just see who does better..She is better than me. thankgoodness she stops after a few.

then is ME.

• Posted

I am a little confused by your message Tim smile Only just saw it as I have been away in Plymouth with a client who needed me to stay to support him through alcohol detox.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.