High blood pressure? Hormones? Anxiety? Help!!

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hiya ladies. I went through a pretty nerve wracking event this week and latley i have been feeling more anxious than normal. I keep getting this feeling in my head the best way to discribe it is like a pulsating or thumping sensation only last a few seconds a few times a day. I do have issues with my neck but didnt think the 2 went together. I have been on Dr Google bad idea and now im thinking could this be blood pressure related? Ive always been on the low side I am 41 am a normal weight dont drink or smoke. However ive also read this could be caused from anxiety sometimes i can feel it in my chest two like my heart pounds for a few seconds then is normal. So my question is any ladies with high blood pressure did you have any symptoms prior to finding out. Could this be stressed induced? I will be seeing my doctor to have my pressure checked just looking for some reassurance advice kind words. This journey has been taking a toll on me. Thanks Everyone in advance

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Renee

I have low blood pressure too, I'm 43, but I have in the past had that thumping in my head and chest. You're right to get it checked out and I'm sure it will be fine. The anxiety that comes with peri can be extreme and sometimes the body reacts with a surge of adrenaline which could very easily cause the symptoms too. I am sure everything is going to be okay love, get it checked and maybe discuss your symptoms while you're there? Please try not to worry, take it easy on yourself xxx

• Posted

Thank you love for the reassurance. My hubby told me not to use Dr Google but i never listen. Yes its been a very stressful week. Im praying its not a blood pressure issue because up until this point I normally run a little low. I am going to ring the Dr tommorrow just for peace of mind and if it is high figure out a plan. I refuse to let myself be scared of this which will cause more anxiety and a vicious cycle. Thank you again for your kind words love

• Posted

You're welcome love

Dr Google can be handy , I think I'm actually a doctor sometimes 😂😷 it's just when it's something non descript when you can't really diagnose yourself, I think it just feeds the anxiety. I guess the thing to remember is 1. You've got a plan, tomorrow you'll get it checked and then you'll know 2. If it is high BP, it's not going to be high all the time, maybe here and there and so nothing to worry about 3. As long as the doctor says it's fine, you'll know for next time and that will help with the anxiety too. Good luck tomorrow, let me know how you get on and I'll keep my fingers crossed xx

• Edited

Hi Renee,

I used to run low until 5 yrs ago (I'm 51). I have major anxiety that I take meds for plus heart valve issues. My stress level is very high but I was always low. Went for my normal check up and it was through the roof, 180/97. So he upped my anxiety meds and I had to go in weekly for a month... low and behold I now have high blood pressure. I would get headaches and very flushed and just thought it was good old peri, nope it was BP. I cant really say with the heart palpitations bc I have A-fib so my heart freaks out all the time, however it has gotten worse since meno started. Stress can definitely cause those issues you're having. A good old check up should ease your mind, but even if it's high it's very easily managed... I would try not to let it bother you until you confirm with your doctor, no sense giving yourself high bp from worrying.

Good Luck!!!

• Edited

my bp is through the roof and i get slight headaches,palpitation,dizzy head and have felt rubbish for months iv been told iv got peri menopausal anxiety and thats the reason iam feeling that way, but iam now having to start bp meds so until i start them i dont know if its the bp or the menopause but i will let u know in a few weeks if any of my symptoms have stopped my highest reading was 118/188 but i was having a panic attack which had lasted for over 2 hrs before the paramedics turned up as i was convinced i was having a heart attack which luckily i wasnt for how long it takes to get an ambulance in the uk but get checked out anyway ,my gp said bp can get high wen your going through the menopause and if it stays high then you have to go on meds mine is only normal when iam asleep as iv had 24hr tape done in the day mines always 90++/145+++ today it was 107/147 which is good for me lol but time for me to try the meds goodluck to you also hopefully you will be fine xx

• Posted

ok im 41 and take blood pressure meds every day !!! headaches #1 sign i had then i had a nose bleed for hours thats when they started me on meds 2 yrs ago!! you dont have to be over weight or smoke or drink to get high blood pressure and they say its hereditary !! but you need to go get it checked for real!!

• Posted

When I was at my lowest I had bought a BP battery operated machine, you can get them at the drug store. I was having heart racing, palps, etc.. like you. I was constantly taking my BP, it also showed my heart rate. BP normal to low all the time, but heart rate was always 99 or above, even when I'd wake up first thing in the morning. Not sure if it was anxiety related or what, but it was definitely racing all the time. I would also take my temperature by the hour, always 97 or lower (what's that all about, and how can I feel so dreadful and NOT have a fever?), and I would also test my urine for acidity every time I went to the bathroom. Um, yeah, probably a little anxiety induced symptoms. Just an awful low point in my life.

• Posted

Suzanne, I think you and I were separated at birth. I didn't get a BP machine but any other that I convinced myself would give a level of comfort, home blood tests, urine strips, heart rate, blood sugar monitor, temperature etc. I think it's driven by the overwhelming feeling that comes with meno and the fact it doesn't show in any real way. Don't know about you, but I don't do any/much of that now.... Hrt must be working xx

• Posted

Well when it all hits like a ton of bricks it's hard to believe there isn't something besides falling hormones behind it. I was sure it had to be something else. I think I'm finally resolved to the fact that it's not (although still have it in the back of my mind that I've got an undiagnosed cancer or illness) which had helped. I was so anxiety ridden about the whole thing I'm sure that brought on a host of other symptoms. My life for an entire year consisted of going to doctor's appointments. Every doctor.

What kind of HRT are you doing? Lately I've been contemplating taking progesterone again because starting to not sleep again. It's like my symptoms are reverting to back when it all started 2 1/2 years ago. Feel dreadful this week.

• Posted

I was thinking about buying a home bp monitor which one do you use theres so many diffrent ones lol. As far as my heart rate I am normally around 60-70 bpm Somedays on lower side some days higher sides Ive noticed right before af rears her ugly face the palps start extreme anxiety headaches and my periods are so heavy. This has been happening since i was 39. My mom was completly through the change by 48 and Im 41. ughh when will this be over

• Posted

Hi Suzanne

Up until last month I was taking bhrt (trostan, utrogestan and Sandrena). It worked really well for 6 months and then like you, I got some of the old symptoms coming back. Apparently it's common for it to fluctuate. So I stuck with it for a few months but the anxiety was crippling so I changed to kliofem hrt. Same dose of estrogen and progesterone but in tablet form to see if the dose absorbs better. Been on them for 3 weeks and they've been okay xx

• Edited

I've had high blood pressure for as long as I can remember (initially diagnosed when I was newly out of college - I'm 44) and it's been deemed hereditary, so no doctor has been able to find a physical/anatomical reason for me (ie kidneys are good, etc). I never had any symptoms and it had been well-controlled for years on a single medication (40 mg carvedilol). Then last year (right around this time), when all of my peri symptoms started (didn't know it was peri at the time), it was no longer being controlled by my normal med and started creeping up. By fall, when I was in the throes of insomnia and anxiety about all these other symptoms (I had myself convinced I had MS), it was up to ~160/95. My doc started tweaking my meds and it's been doing great (averaging 116/80). I also started taking a low dose antidepressant for my anxiety, which I'm sure it helping. I'm currently taking 20 mg carvedilol (a beta blocker), 12.5 mg hydrochlorothiazide (a diuretic) and 5 mg lisinopril (and ACE inhibitor). My doc is trying to wean me off the carvedilol, so I'm going to drop 10 mg of that and see how I do. I do have a cuff (wrist) that I use a few times a week to monitor my blood pressure and keep a log to show my doctor. Anyway, sorry for the long story, but - I think hormones played a huge part it my rising BP and then anxiety kicked it and threw it into overdrive. Definitely have it checked by a doctor, monitor it at home and do what you can to feel better!

• Posted

Thank you love. Im going into docs tommorrow to have it checked. Ive never had a problem with blood pressure not even during my pregnancies. I see a cardiologist 2× a year I have Avnrt tachycardia so i get an echo once a year and im due to see her in April so I will bring up my concerns with her as well. Hopefully its not high but i will take it in stride. My anxiety has been through the roof latley so it could be a contributing factor. I also have been having more brain fog latley and i really hate that lol. I wish you well and thank you for the kind words

• Posted

Hi Renee

Any luck with the doctor today? Hoping you are well xxx

• Posted

Hi Sassy. I have to go in tommorrow doc didnt have an opening today. I dont no this new symptom Ive been having only way i can explain it is like a pulsating in back of head and neck and Im a little dizzy not spinny like on a boat. And its putting my anxiety into over drive praying its nothing seriouse. It almost feels like the back of my neck into my temples is vibrating crazy. Well i will keep you posted and if you have ever had this symptom please let me no

• Posted

Hi Renee

Not too much longer to wait now, hang on in there. I've had some weird neck/head sensations, usually to do with tension in my neck. Just take it easy now till tomorrow and hopefully it will put your mind at rest. Don't panic, we are all behind you with our weird heads, dizziness, palpitations and anxious mania xxx

• Posted

Thanks Sassy. Im so glad for this forum and all of you. I feel a little less alone in this scary uneady journey

• Posted

Hey Renee

How are you feeling today? Hope you had a non scary appointment with the doc xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.