High blood pressure I'm trying natural remedies to bring it down before I take tablets

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 55 and in pretty good shape not seen doctor for years until a friend did my blood pressure 180/105 6 weeks ago. Blood tests booked in for tomorrow so I used the 6 weeks to see if I could help myself - no salt, celery seed, garlic, cider vinegar, magnesium, cayenne, green apples, apricots etc. For 2 weeks I saw some progress best score 132/94 but same day had 205/106. Since then generally back to where we started 17?/10?. I didn't realise bp jumped around so much. Any comments would be welcome 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Although you are in 'pretty good shape', stress can have an effect on your BP. In Dec 2016 I was in a stressful situation and my BP went up to 180/103. I have been on 5mg Norvasc (calcium channel blocker) for over 10 years. By BP was back to normal after leaving the stressful place/situation!

Does anyone thinks that sugars can influence your lipids values (triglycerides, cholesterol LDL & HDL)?

I stop using all forms of sugars over 10 years ago (I'm 65) and my triglycerides average is 0.80 mmol/L (or USA 31).

• Posted

thanks falcon I have done some study regarding stress. I may have some kind of inbuilt stress from childhood trauma (I've had to do a lot of psycho stuff to sort my head out over the years) I wonder if I might be better on stress pills rather than bp pills

• Posted

I basically stopped using sugar and salt in 1983. Any recipes that require sugar we just put in half the amount and we don’t cook with salt or add it to our food or eat prepared meals. 

In 1993 I stopped smoking. In 2000 I suddenly developed hypertension and in 2004 I was told that I was glucose intolerant. Glucose intolerance fell out of fashion so I then became T2 diabetic. Around 2011 my cholesterol levels put me on the list for Statins that I soon stopped because of muscular pain. I also did not take Metformin for long due to its side effects. 

Seems that we can do all the right things without our bodies taking any notice. I developed aortic stenosis that was not caused by lifestyle and the valve replacement operation in 2012 put me into AF leading Warfarin that gave me pain in my weight bearing joints for each period I took it.

• Posted

Some type of Therapy would be better than mind bending drugs.
    • Posted

Hi des, if you really get readings over 200/100, and you have not just finished pushing your car up a long hill, then yes, you might want to discuss that with a doctor.  But if you also get readings down around 130/90 then you're probably in at least reasonably good shape overall.

?As far as the stress thing, well, there are the beta blockers that may be good for both.  A small dose of beta blocker, and maybe a diuretic, and maybe those high excursions can be better controlled.

?Unfortunately the whole BP reading technology is horribly error-prone, I mean, who ever dreamed this up in the first place, squeezing your arm to measure internal pressures?  And the BP itself can jump up and down, for an hour or two at a time, depending on what you've eaten most recently.

?(btw, regarding beetroot juice, you can just eat the beets, and some of the pre-steamed fresh beets, or fresh and even raw, can taste rather better, especially if you throw them into a salad with some dressing, and it does work, for a few hours)

• Posted

I cycle 20+ miles twice a week and work up and down ladders. After 3 weeks of improvement to getting 130s/90s some times it went up to 205/106 and since is generally not much better than when I started 
  • Posted

Hi Des

Did your friend take all your Bp readings, or was it the doc that took them after the 108/105 reading? The reason I’m asking is because most people don’t calibrate their Bp monitors when they should, a doctor will get theirs calibrated every six months, but it’s normally once a year for the likes of someone using them at home. If their not calibrated regularly, it can give false readings. I’m due to get mines calibrated, it’s showing really high readings, so I’m not concerned too much, I’ll probably buy a new one anyway. 

• Posted

calibrating your bp monitor is a great tip. 
  • Posted

I recommend keeping a detail journal of what you are eating, when, and the reactions. Could be food allergy/food sensitive related. This happened to me. I been to so many doctors because my BP was sky high and medicine barely brought it down. Also I've been to a natural doctor who recommended the following. My blood pressure went from a stagnant 180/100 to 117/84. Slowing getting better and took about six months. 

reduce caffeine

drink more distilled water

check hormone levels

?take magnesium

?coq10

niacin

vitamin b complex

?vitamins a,c, & e

?hawthorn berries

eat for your blood type

?eat fresh garlic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.