High TSH

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've been on thyroid meds for 12 years and always struggled to have decent levels as I'm sensitive to thyroid meds in general and don't convert to t3 well so have to take t3 meds in the form on ndt.

My tsh has never been higher than 2 and reecenty I got these results...

TSH 8.45

T4 14.1

T3 4.8

I don't have the ranges but am in the UK if that helps.

I wondered what it could mean by the tsh jumping up so high all of a sudden?

Thanks in advance

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, you need to increase your meds dosage, what are you taking right now? I can barely function when my tsh is 1, I need it to be close to zero to be functional.

• Posted

Yes I'm the same. I only ever feel good when it's near zero. I'm not sure of the dose as I take thyrogold which doesn't tell you the dose on the packet. I take one tablet plus an eighth of a tablet per day.

• Posted

maybe try to increase it to 1 and 1/5 tablet, but it definitely looks like you need a dose increase. Have you tried other NDT medication? That one is not regulated and the hormone dosage it's not consistent like in a NDT med like armour thyroid.

• Posted

Are you taking a different batch of Thyroid gold than the last time you tested? Probably it's due to amount of T4 and T3 in this batch? You added any new supplements or medications that interferes with absorption? Eating too much cruciferous vegetables, or taking sea weed, kelp, sea moss? Anyway time for an increase you don't want tsh to be 8.

• Posted

Hi there no I've been on the same batch and same dose for well over a year so I've no clue what's going on. I've just started LDN (after the blood test) which I'm told can raise thyroid levels so I'm going to give that a few weeks first before adding any more meds. Doctor wants me to add levothyroxine as the content is more stable than ndt. But I don't convert to t3 well so I don't really see much point in that.

• Posted

Hi Danielle. Yes I've always been wary about thyrogold but didn't realise it varied so much... I did take porcine ndt on prescription but my heart just can't tolerate it. The palpitations were unbearable at such low doses and my whole body would shake. Do you know of any bovine ndt that is obtainable on prescription in the UK? I haven't had any luck finding any. I seem to tolerate this better

• Posted

The same batch? if it's a year old could have lost potency. Can you get T3? You weren't taking Biotin when you had blood drawn? Maybe the batch is too old. Synthroid loses potency over time. too. So the company puts in a little overage to account for lost. But sometimes they don't. Don't get a years supply. Not worth the instability.

• Posted

Sayhit My antibodies dropped down from 1000s to below the normal. Went down when on a higher dose of levothyroxine without going gluten or dairy free. Your antibodies might be going up too. T4 is important does more than convert to T3.

• Posted

Danielle, you're right Thyro-Gold isn't 'regulated' but it was developed by the doctor who was the medical advisor to Thyroid UK until his death from a fall a few years ago. His wife Tammy continues to sell it. Plus I'm doing great on it. I switched from levo in June 2015.

• Posted

Guess you're only taking one tablet that's a low dose. There's not much T4 in it. Maybe tops 40mcg IT'S your T4 that is increasing your TSH. Try 1 and half. tablets. Your body needs T4 for methylation and ATP mitochondrial function etc. Even converting a B vitamin. You never said how you feel.

• Posted

I'm taking armour now and my antibodies keep going up, they decreased on tirosint, but that one started burning my stomach very bad when taking it, so I'm trying NDT now, but I'm very concerned with the antibodies going up 😦

• Posted

Heard about others with same problem. Armor and other NDT because they are made from animals can rev up a antibodies. The foreign nonhuman product may be seen just as that foreign matter. Levothyroxine keeps mine at normal even below.

• Posted

danielle never had any issues with levothyroxine never heard of Tirosint causing stomach issues. It's usually the binders causing issues in a few taking the pills. Guess you can't handle levothyroxine unless you try 50mcg which are a lot cleaner. Maybe your Armor dose needs raising or your body can't handle this pig product. China makes a lot of pig products and now have pig farms in USA. Soooo

• Posted

Thanks for this I didn't realise the importance of t4. I thought it was secondary to t3. My doctor has recommended I top up my ndt with levo. Reluctantly I am starting with 12.5 mg today and will increase as much as i can. I'm just so sensitive to these meds to I have to slowly increase it. I ordered three bottles of thyrogold at a time because you have to pay big charges to import it but I never use it pass the expiry date but yes I absolutely see your point that it's not a good idea to stockpile too much of it and keep it for a long time. Thank you for the advice it has really helped x

• Posted

FYI Vit B2 needs T4 to make FAD which is used to make ATP the energy producers in mitochondria. . Citrus Cycle. FAD is also used for methylation cycle. Look it up for better explanation.. Makes sense because why would the body make T4 only to convert to T3? Why not just T3...well the above is why. Many and probably MOST doctors do not know this. Many weren't even taught this. Mitochondria wasn't studied in depth. Some people only take T3 meds they usually feel good for AWHILE. Glad to share this information with you. I take 175 mcg of levothyroxine so 12.5 should be fine. Amazing that you did take only one Armor and that was enough for awhile. Guess you were diagnosed early.

• Posted

Hi Sayhit . Just read up on Thyrogold it supposedly has 50mcg of T4 and T3 is 12.5mcg. In the 150mcg capsule. Seems like a lot are taking 2 caps but that would be lot of T3.100mcg and 25mcg. I guess cows have a different proportion of T4 to T3 than humans. There's a number you can call.if you go to their site. Who knows how much T4 does one really.need when T3 is supplied. Not only that but everyone has their own specific requirements. If you didn't start the T4 med yet.maybe just try increasing the Thyrogold because you'll have more T4 available anyway with higher T3. Just a suggestion. These powders will vary one batch to another.

• Posted

I was on Tirosint for 5 years, than one day I had a bad reaction to it and since then it started to burn and hurt my stomach, and awful reflux. No meds for reflux were helping. I got the liquid Tirosint nad might try that one, but I wanted so bad for the armour to work, as I read people have great results with it. Should I try maybe thyrogold, since that one is not from pork? Have you tried any of these?

• Posted

I've been on thyrogold since June 2015 and I am currently taking 450mg. Usually I take 300mg over the summer months, but I have been eating a bit of foods to which I'm intolerant and this affects the amount of Thyro-Gold I need. I need more Thyro-Gold in winter (Sep - Mar), usually 59% more. I switched to Thyro-Gold because I never felt well on levothyroxine and porcine NDT made me swell up.

• Posted

danielle why don't you give the liquid tirosent a trial? I thought you were taking the liquid which is the purest form of any T4 med. There are so many complaints on thyroid forums about how the NDTS are not what they once were. Decreasing antibodies is SO important. T4 meds may vary but not as much as the NDTs. I've read where some companies were adding T4 or T3 to their powders. This may be the case for many NDTs you just don't know. I also get Rxd.T3 5mcg 2x daily but find when the weather is warmer or hot and humid.I don't need to add T3. And if I do I can feel more stimulated. T3 is the only thyroid med that I can feel when I take it. I've gone as high as 200mcg of levothyroxine without any side effects. I didn't know that people really had side effects on T4 meds. I was diagnosed with a TSH of 65 and so many today people are diagnosed lot earlier think they are the ones who are more sensitive to T4 meds. I have even doubled up to 400mcg if I missed a day with no sides whatsoever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.