High TSH

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've been on thyroid meds for 12 years and always struggled to have decent levels as I'm sensitive to thyroid meds in general and don't convert to t3 well so have to take t3 meds in the form on ndt.

My tsh has never been higher than 2 and reecenty I got these results...

TSH 8.45

T4 14.1

T3 4.8

I don't have the ranges but am in the UK if that helps.

I wondered what it could mean by the tsh jumping up so high all of a sudden?

Thanks in advance

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi can you post the ranges?

Cruciferous vegetables are fine as long as they are cooked.

I've never heard of T4 being of use apart from to convert to T3, in fact I've heard the opposite, that it can convert to too much rT3 when one's adrenal glands are not working correctly. rR3 blocks the T3 receptor cells from receiving T3. Search for something like 'recovering with T3'.

I haven't found Thyro-Gold varies in strength, but I have found a slight variation in the amount in a capsule (but no worse than levothyroxine which is allowed to vary by +10% and - 10% i.e. a 100mcg tablet can have between 90-110mcg in it. I'm still doing great on Thyro-Gold when none of the others worked/suited me.

• Posted

Hi Barbara thanks for this. I'm so confused by all the conflicting information. I've added 12.5mg of levo to my existing thyrogold dose this week to see if it helps at all. I find increasing thyrogold really hard due to the t3 in it so thought I would try a bit of levothyroxine. Massively reluctantly though. I will have a look at that book. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on thyroid meds but I guess that's because everyone's body is different and reacts differently to meds. I'm sorry I don't have the ranges sometimes it's hard enough getting the doctors to give me the actual results lol

• Posted

If you ask for a printout of your blood results, that have to give it to you. This then has the ranges on it.

It is very important you look at the source of the advice to assess its quality and reliability. This will quickly enable you to sift out the ones that are less sound.

I personally am yet to be convinced by the T4 having other uses argument. I looked at the article in question and it didn't clarify whether it was T4 itself that was directly needed, or whether T4 was needed because it gets converted to T3.

• Posted

That should have said: 'they have to give it to you'

• Posted

Are you keeping a diary of actions taken, meds taken, dose, symptoms / results?

This really helps when you look back trying to see patterns and draw conclusions. Memory is too unreliable.

• Posted

BARBARA You have to is type T4 FAD VIT B2 ATP and up pops all the information. I'm having minor trouble with this site just replying. I always felt that it has to there for other reasons so wasn't surprised. ONLY T4 without conversion or it would say T3.

• Posted

Barbara are you aware when ones body is fighting illness or post surgery etc. it will turn T3 into RT3 to slow down the person when they are in repair mode. Especially in the ICU units.

• Posted

It is really important to take Thyro-Gold on an empty stomach at least 4 hours after food and not eat for an hour. Food affects the absorption.

• Posted

Barbara.Thought I already gave this info. Vit B2 riboflavin needs T4 to convert to FAD which is needed to make ATP the energy in mitochondria.(Citrus Acid Cycle) Also FAD is used in other cycles. Just look up Vit B2 T4 ATP FAD. So obviously not all T4, is used for T3 or Rt3.. Many doctors have no knowledge of this were never taught it. Mitochondria: there was very little information known about it years ago. You need updating as well as many doctors etc.

• Posted

Barbara.Thought I already gave this info. Vit B2 riboflavin needs T4 to convert to FAD which is needed to make ATP the energy in mitochondria.(Citrus Acid Cycle) Also FAD is used in other cycles. Just look up Vit B2 T4 ATP FAD. So obviously not all T4, is used for T3 or Rt3.. Many doctors have no knowledge of this were never taught it. Mitochondria: there was very little information known about it years ago. You need updating as well as many doctors etc.

• Posted

Thank you, I didn't see it until I clicked 'load previous comments'

• Posted

Advice on desiccated thyroid supplements (Thyrogold, Thyrovanz - Metavive IV, Bovine Thyroid Glands etc) - comment from our Clinical Director

Animal thyroid extracts contain very different proportions of T4 and T3 compared to those found in the human body. These supplements are untested in clinical trials and their safety is not established.

UK guidelines recommend that T3 and combinations of T4 and T3 should not routinely be prescribed. The Royal College of Physicians does not recommend that T3 should ever be prescribed. They say there is not enough evidence that it helps patients and not enough evidence to be sure it is not harmful. Clinical practice guidelines worldwide do not recommend or support the routine use of combination (LT4 and LT3) therapy.

At Patient we do not, therefore, recommend that anyone should consider taking any desiccated thyroid supplement, including any of the brands above.

You can find out more from the further reading links in our patient information leaflet.

• Posted

Thank you for clarification. Have you seen the latest from NICE and NHS England on the prescribing of T3?

Also, people like me, who are allergic/intolerant to corn need an alternative thyroid medication that doesn't have corn in. Also there is the DI02 gene mutation that results in a person having an impaired ability to convert T4 to T3. These people need T3 medication. As I fall in both camps, I need an alternative medication to levothyroxine.

• Posted

Thanks for your opinion but I disagree. There are endocrinologists in the UK who recognise that combination medications do work much better in some individuals than levothyroxine alone. Research to show that levothyroxine alone cures all, always seems to be backed to the hill and well publicised because its the cheapest drug the NHS has to offer yet they refuse to ignore the huge group of people who feel dreadful taking t4 only medication and have no explanation as to why. After just two days of adding levothyroxine back into my daily routine I feel 10 times worse than I did on thyrogold alone. I would rather take my chances trying any other drug whether the evidence is there or not. Unfortunately the NHS offers nothing else. What are we supposed to do when levothyroxine doesn't work and there is nothing else on offer?? That's why people take these other drugs because their symptoms are not addressed properly (or at all) by the medical community

• Posted

Sayhit Wow you feel 10x worse? I take 175mcg and have absolutely no side effects. Think you are exaggerating they give newborns more. One reason.I stopped raw thyroid extract I didn't want my antibodies raising. Plus I have read that it's always possible that an animal contagion can get in the mix. These powders are made from hundreds of thyroid glands. There are many zoological diseases Mad Cow Disease or something newer and not known.Pig and cow farms are constantly having breakouts of viral or bacterial diseases. But seems like you don't have much choice. How did you feel with TSH 8?

• Posted

mar75090 your comments demonstrate that you have not researched Thyro-Gold at all. The creator was the medical advisor to the UK charity named Thyroid UK until his untimely death from a fall. It is sourced from new Zealand cows that have never had BSE.

• Posted

Definitely not exaggerating!! Today I didn't take levo and I'm back to how I felt previously (bad but not horrific like the last couple of days) .

• Posted

Barbara what I have in my kitchen drawer is very similar to Thyroid gold. it is from New Zealand too. It may have a bit lower T4 and T3. His wife didnt want to give the mcgs of T4 and T3.Which I find a bit unethical but found it by researching more. I know there have been companies that added levothyroxine to their powders at times. I can't see the screen as I type and editing is pain so pardon any typos etc.

• Posted

lol. I've got the same problem with typos. please repeat the T3 and T4 amounts in TG

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.