High TSH

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've been on thyroid meds for 12 years and always struggled to have decent levels as I'm sensitive to thyroid meds in general and don't convert to t3 well so have to take t3 meds in the form on ndt.

My tsh has never been higher than 2 and reecenty I got these results...

TSH 8.45

T4 14.1

T3 4.8

I don't have the ranges but am in the UK if that helps.

I wondered what it could mean by the tsh jumping up so high all of a sudden?

Thanks in advance

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Unfortunately Mar75090, is not exaggerating. There are a number of situations where taking T4 can make one feel worse. The Patient Information Leaflet refers to one of them, a problem with ones adrenal glands. You very much sound like one of the lucky ones if you are ok on levo.

• Posted

Barbara Guess I am a lucky one or maybe because my TSH was 65 so that even a dose of T4 at 115mcg gave me a TSH of 35!! I never felt any sides wouldn't think there were sides if it didn't read about others on thyroid forums.

• Posted

Mar75090 my TSH was 170 on diagnosis and I reckon I had hypo symptoms for 24 years before ideas diagnosed. I was fine on levo (or so I thought) for 5 years, but then like you anything would have been a big improvement! With hindsight though, I was never warm and I still struggled to keep my weight down despite eating a good diet and portion sizes. Things then deteriorated and I had to be dosed with levo so that my fT4 was at the top of its range for me to be able to function. My pulse rate during this period was about 60 bpm indicating that I wasn't over medicated. I'm wondering whether you are in the same boat as I was, where you were feeling so bad that anything felt like a big improvement. The question is, could you feel even better?

• Posted

14 years before I was diagnosed, not 24.

• Posted

Barbara when I say I didn't have sides I'm not saying that T4 was or is a wonder drug ...I WISH I could feel it more and my labs seem almost hyperthyroidism but I am far from what my Frees or suppressed TSH may suggest. Then because my TPO and Tg antibodies are no longer high and now within normal range going to a new doctor is a challenge. I lost my lab tests that showed my high antibodies they were lost iwhen moving to new place. They are too old to recover from an office that closed down. Still have the TSH of 35 report when medicated on too low dose. I feel T3 5mcg but probably because its added on. not on it's own. I lipid panel is optimal with HDL 80 etc. And I do eat fatty foods. But even when I was SEVERELY hypo it didnt affect my lipids. I still have a bottle of Raw Thyroid Glandulars I bought at a vitamin shop a few blocks away from me. Took them with lower Levo but read about the increasing AB and possible problems with bovine products so I stopped. I am rxd Adderall and THAT makes all the difference and many hypos have low dopamine levels. And I do take a lot of supplements including CoQ10, B vitamins, for decades looking for that boost.

• Posted

BARBARA I read up on Dr Lowe awhile back. I find his discussions and opinions about thyroid labs not giving the true picture of what is actually going on in a person when they are taking med for their condition very interesting and I agree with him. But I read that he was taking T3 at a very high dose. Have you ever heard of hyperthyroid dementia? Excess T3 can cause brain damage resulting in dementia. I believe his was taking more than 100mcg!!And wondered if his excess T3 had played a part in his head injury. indirectly. He obviously didn't know about vit B2 needing T4.

• Posted

I've heard of other people needing high doses of T3. Have you read 'The Thyroid Patient's Manual' by Paul Robinson?

• Posted

Look him up on YouTube Recovering with T3

• Posted

BARBARA Thyroid gold. T4 is 50 Mcg. and T3 is 12.5 mcg in thyroid cap of 150mg powder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.