Hip

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I had an anterior hip replacement done 12 days ago, Dr had to do some extra repair, so I'll be on a walker for 5 weeks. I'm so tired and depressed. I'm trying to get off the pain meds, which I know will make me tired. I'm also in Coumadin to stop blood clots. I researched anterior replacement and thought I would be up with just a cane. Hope this tiredness is not unusual!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

dear sandy, 

warm welcome to this hippies forum ...

congratulations on getting the surgery - anterior or posterior, it still is major surgery - the joint needs to be dislocated and replaced and in your case, additional repair was needed - Maybe that is why you have to use the walker to give the muscle time to heal -

unfortunately we are left to our own devices post-op - that is why this forum is so invaluable ... 

it is a rollercoaster ride, not only physically, but also mentally, emotionally and spiritually -  

Maybe the pain medication makes you tired, but being in pain is also tiring and stressfull, especially when you are moving around ... catch 22 here, isn't it ..

Are you in any pain?

feeling tired can last for a while - I was in such a bad and pitiful physical state before the surgery that getting some stamina took forever and has not even fully returned --- 

You are still early in recovery - seriously ... so much has happened in such a short time - 

be gentle with your self, okay and come here anytime .. you are not alone -

just go with your own flow - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I am 16 days post op today and I still can't lift my leg from a lying position. The physio said it would happen but that when I do my exercises I have to have the intention in mind that I am trying to lift my leg to start engaging the muscles needed. One day it will just lift. I find every day I am getting stronger and it is feeling more like my leg again. Keep doing the exercises and get plenty of rest smile good luck!

• Posted

I had the same difficulty but found that it helped greatly to help my leg up by lifting under my thigh with one hand. After a bit of time my muscles gained sufficient strength to do it on their own.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi I also had this problem, as Richard said I would give it a helping hand by taking some of the weight with my hand. I'm four weeks post op now and although I can still feel it when I lift my leg I can certainly lift it. Take your time, you don't have a bus to catch, slowly slowly catch y monkey. xxx

• Posted

PS I could also cry for Britain. It will pass I promise. xx
  • Posted

Hi Sandy, hang on in there, it will get better. Don't ditch your pain meds too soon. All the best, Judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.