Hip op terror

Posted , 20 users are following.

hi help I am terrified of everything not waking up ,blood clots ,infection. To the point where I could easily cancel my op in two weeks time having nerve block with sedation terrified of it all ,I have horrible thoughts is anyone else this frightened please!

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pauline, you are going to find lots of supportive information on this site.  I had my right hip done nearly 3 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did....with every surgery their are concerns, but gaging by the responses here you have nothing to worry about, though I know you will still worry.

I was shaking like a leaf when they brought me to the OR, afraid of everythng you are, but once you are out, you know nothing until you are in recovery...so just do what you need to do until you are in the OR, and after you wll be on the road to recovery.

Good luck!

Patricia from Aurora, ONtario Canada

• Posted

Pauline, so sorry you are feeling this anxiety! I'd check with my surgeon's office to let them know how you are feeling and get some help with this and reassurance about your fears. You are definitely not the only person who has ever felt this way! For me, the most terrifying thing would have been to continue living life with the horrible bone-on-bone pain getting worse all the time, and me ending up living in a wheel chair, crying all of the time.

• Posted

Hi yes the pain is bad and I cannot walk,it's just they tell you all the things that can go wrong and I don't have any choice but to get it done I am 59 and cannot walk 1 metre without pain in my knee as well which is rather odd .

• Posted

Yes weirdly, the knee pain seems to be connected, and post op it usually goes. It's V natural to feel afraid, but you have to remember that thousands of hip ops are done successfully every week, and legally they have to tell about all the things that could happen.

Afterwards the bone on bone pain has completely gone, and once you get over the op, you should feel like a new woman. Try not to cancel. All the best.

• Posted

They are required to tell you what can go wrong, and it can be overwhelming to hear all of that! Perhaps you can get some medication to help keep you a bit calmer before the surgery. How tough it must be to be so debilitated. Sending you all of my best wishes for the surgery and your recovery! Do whatever you can to distract yourself over these next two weeks, Pauline!
  • Posted

Don't be frightened it's all going to be ok, you will be going on a journey of no more pain and for me apart from the hip popping in and out without pain I must add it's still the best thing I've ever done. Go for it I promise you it will all be ok.

• Posted

Pauline,

I completely understand your anxiety as I was very nervous. I have never been in hospital before so had no idea what to expect. This forum has been fantastic for making me feel informed and less anxious.

And now I am one week post op I can tell you it is much worse waiting for the operation than actually doing it. It is an extremely tried and tested surgery. They will look after you through the entire process. They have to tell you the things that go wrong but these things are extremely rare and not the norm. I was in all kinds of pain in the hip, groin and especially the knee (referred pain apparently) before the operation. These have all gone. There is operation pain but this (unlike the other pain) is getting better each day. This operation has given me the chance to enjoy all the things I loved again and I am incredibly grateful to all those clever surgeons.

Please try not to worry. Come onto this forum lots and ask questions.

Hugs,

Sam

• Posted

Hi thank you I will try not to worry glad you are ok and getting better I have not thought of after!
  • Posted

Hi Pauline

I was exactly the same. I went to knee clinic because of pain in knee. One xray later was told I'd got to have a THR.

I was a nervous wreck. The worst thing I did was research what I was in for and the different methods etc.

Because I'm a coward and was terrified I opted for a general anaesthetic so that I'd be knocked out and no chance of hearing anything and waking up with it all over.

That's exactly what happened.

They took me on my bed to the theatre suite. Had to wriggle onto another trolley. I was given the anaesthetic. Next thing I knew was I was waking up in recovery back on my bed and it was all over.

I had none of the side effects I'd read about.

I was wheeled back to the ward and given a mug of tea and some toast.

I really wondered then why I'd been so scared.

The next day I was up and walking pain free. Just a bit sore around the wound which is to be expected.

I hope my experience helps get rid of some of your fears.

My op was on 3rd January this year. Seven weeks ago.

• Posted

They must tell you the risks - but they are rare. I am 59 and like you, had to have it done as I couldn't walk. It was easy, really. And I up completely pain free and haven't had a moments pain since. Not everyone is as lucky as me, but pretty much everyone improves, and after a few weeks you'll know that you did the right thing

• Posted

Hi Pauline

I'm 10 weeks post op and was terrified just like you. I cried all the way to the operating theatre!! The spinal block was fine nothing to worry about and recovery is better with this. I could wozzily hear people on and off but not what they were saying and it was all over very quickly and I didn't feel a thing. A week later I did get a blot clot but it's very rare and I was just unlucky. The hip groun and associated pain goes and you are left with operation pain which is sore and uncomfortable for first two weeks but gets bettter all the time. You will get down days it's a marathon not a sprint but we are all here to help you through

Good luck Julie x

• Posted

Pauline,

This is a totally normal reaction for most of us.  It's all a bit of a leap into the unknown, and they bombard us with lists of things that 'could' go wrong.  In the end we worry ourselves to the point of cancelling.    Don't.    Once it's all over you will be so glad you went ahead and had it done.

There are so many people on this forum that have been in the same position, some less afraid, some more.  The medical staff will do their utmost to reduce the risks, they don't want a sick patient to look after afterwards. 

The spinal block with sedation is so much safer than traditional general anaesthetic which is why it is used now.  I was up and sipping a cup of tea and chatting to the nurses minutes after coming out of surgery.

To reduce the risk of blood clots, wear any compression stockings they give you (and ask for a second pair to change into when you are discharged home), and take whatever blood thinning you are given (mine was Rivaroxaban, but there are many of them), and do the leg moving exercises religiously.

Infection is rare, it happens, but is quite rare.   Make sure you get discharged with a supply of waterproof dressings (see my website).

The address of my website is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Pauline,  no point in me telling you not to be frightened because you will be - as I was but my husband used to say that he would be more scared of living with the pain should I not have the op. I cried the whole morin he hospital waiting to go to theatre and was shaking/shivering on my way down there. I'm a total coward. BUT it was so worth it. Everyone was so nice and kind to me and although the road to recovery was long and slow - definitely a marathon not a sprint I've come out the other side. Two years now so I only check in here occasionally but I have my life back. Totally forgotten I've had a THR back living life to the full. 

I know now it's easy for me to say but his will soon be you. Try and focus on one day at a time and plan lots of things to look forward to once you are on the road to recovery. Everyone having surgery is scared (even if they don't say so) and the staff are used to this. 

Take me care and make sure to do your exercises and more once you are home. 

C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.