Hip op terror

Posted , 20 users are following.

hi help I am terrified of everything not waking up ,blood clots ,infection. To the point where I could easily cancel my op in two weeks time having nerve block with sedation terrified of it all ,I have horrible thoughts is anyone else this frightened please!

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Everything you are feeling is normal. My husband and doctor told me to stop reading online and looking at posts because they would scare me. I read, but didn't engage much prior to surgery. I wanted to be aware of everything and assumed I would be somewhere in the middle.. in the last few hours I did make a point of speaking with each of my children to tell them just how proud I was of each of them and their accomplishmen's in life, as well as my unconditional lover for each of them. I wish I had done just that one act much earlier, as it provided a huge relief and reduction of stress for me. I am 25 days post op and thankful to be on this side of the process!

You will be in my prayers,

Kristen

• Posted

Pauline

Go for it! Yes there is a chance something may go wrong but you could have a car accident, slip on some steps (more likely with a bad hip) and any number of things. But the vast majority of people find their hip op a total success. Unfortunately you hear about problems more on this forum than if you did a survey.

Post in three weeks and tell us all how great it is to be pain free!!

Mike

• Posted

Hi Pauline!

I was the same way when my surgeon told me about having a nerve block with sedation! I was SCARED TO DEATH!!!

Since I take Xanax for anxiety, my PCP said I could take 2 of them (0.25 mg) prior to surgery. Talk to your doctor about it.

The last thing I remember was saying good-bye to my family and the next thing I knew Iwas waking up in the recovery room.

I remember absolutely nothing! I heard nothing, I saw nothing, I felt nothing.

It is a scarey ordeal to begin with but I need to have the second hip replaced and I will have it done the same way!

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Pauline

Your not on your own ...most people feel the same. I couldn't sleep for weeks before my op. I was terrified as soon as I was told I was having a new hip.

Reality was no where near !!! As soon as I had my new hip I had no pain...that was marvelous. Am now walking shopping dancing and just started back at gym. Your friends are on this site and we wish you well. Please keep us posted.

Julie 🖒

• Posted

Hi Pauline15206,

I fully understand your fear. I haven't even scheduled my op yet. People are telling me I'm too young at 59 and to wait until the pain is too bad to handle. I'm not in excruciating pain yet just alot of aching and hip popping sounds. I was born with deformed hip joints. I have a torn labrum, torn cartilage and arthritis in the hip. I will be following your posts! Good luck!

• Posted

If you're not in too much of a hurry, I recommend the summer for an op. Means you can manage without having to put on the pesky socks/trousers etc. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for the advise! That would be a good idea since I usually wear sun dresses in the summer!
    • Posted

This is what I was told in October to young then I went to another surgeon and that was indecember only to be told that it is urgent and I was very annoyed,any way they said I need it done within three months and yes I cannot walk now! I will let you know how I get on ,not looking forward to it but it has helped getting all the advice and support from everyone.
    • Posted

I had no choice about when my op was as it was a case of as soon as any date came up take it. So I had mine done on 3rd January.

I think winter is the best time when the weather is cold and horrible outside you don't mind not being able to go out. In fact I felt quite smug when friends were saying how awful the weather was.

Dressing is not a problem with a grabber and sock aid . Just wear comfortable baggy clothes and jumpers and slip on slippers.

• Posted

Hi Pauline,You will be fine.Get your self some lavender oil from the healthful shop.& rescue remedy. Where are you having your op Done.? Please make sure you have easy foods afterwards,& family to help you.Listen to relaxation music on a portable Cds player.Good luck,regards Amanda

• Posted

Pauline.. stop,, I was the same as you.. seriously. .. and I work in healthcare..for over 30 years..I was terified of the spinal need from having issues with an epidural with childbirth.. so much.. I put of my hip replacment for over 18 months from when the doctor told me to go. and i would not go see anyone before that and I sould have years before...I was concerned about blood clots too. but do not be.. foloow every order to the T like i did.. and i mean seriously.. I going back to work after 8 weeks off for a THR right side anterolateral.... 

what are your options.. being crippled for the rest of your life.. NO>. gthey have the technology and the smarts to do this.. YOU must face up to it.. I wish I would have done mine sooner.. 

I had anxiety so much so I had to take something.... but now I take nothing for anxiety.. nothing.. your fear should be not doing it.. a life that has no quality.. YOU can do this... you truly can.. I understand what you are feeling.. but pray.. and move forward. 

I will pray for you as well..

Good Health to you 

• Posted

Hi thank you so much I went to the doctors today and he gave me something to help and yes I know you are right it is because we have back ground health care knowledge that makes us worry more thank you and I will keep going not long now I know it will be difficult after but  it is painful now cannot walk at all!
    • Posted

Yes thank you ,I take it you have been through it all,well it is so good to be able to talk and listen to others as we all feel we are alone when it happens.

thanks

• Posted

Hi sorry just looked at the link so many people replied and that is great I thought it was only older people who had OAthe first surgeon I had said he would rather wait until I was 66, I have only gone another 5 months and cannot walk.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline, I was the same. I was put on the waiting list when I was 59 and the surgeon virtually said that if an 85 year old came along they would get preference.

By the time I was 60 like you I found walking difficult. So on my GP s advice I kept hustling the admissions secretary telling her that it was so bad now I'd had to give up work which was hard.

Eventually I was admitted on 3rd January this year and have never looked back.

It's wonderful to be free from the pain in my knee and hip and able to walk without limping again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.