Hip Operation -SuperPath Method?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi was wandering if anybody has had a hip operation using the superPath method. Need all the advise possiable due to have one shortley.

I am extermley worried about have a hip operation.

Any feed will be great.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Sue

Regardless of the entry method used the success is dependent on the skill and experience of the surgeon.

I've read of several SuperPath operations that went wrong so I urge you to do your research carefully. With any surgery where the surgeon uses a method where there is only a small working space created this may make it more difficult for them to do the best job for you.

I can understand ladies will be tempted by the promises of the smallest possible scar but suggest that

• Posted

Apologies Sue but my posting went too soon! I'm sure you would agree that getting a good result is the most important thing. Both of my hip surgeries were successful and done twenty years apart using a tried and tested method and the scars were not an issue.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Thanks for reading my post.You mentioned about that you have read several Superpath operations that went wrong, can you please give me some examples?

Richard what type of implant did you have & which one would you recommend?

Thanks 

Sue

• Posted

Dear Sue

The examples of unsatisfactory outcomes were discussed on this forum in the last couple of months and I think the surgery was done here in the UK by a surgeon who was meant to be experienced in the technique. He had a short foreign name Beginning with C I think.

At the time I was interested and from the research I did it seemed that the reduced space allowed by the technique could compromise the outcome. At around the same time someone pointed me to a video showing hip surgery using a special drop down operating table and this seemed to be a very well controlled way of working. There seemed to be minimal pulling G one about kf the pageb

• Posted

Sorry Sue but my phone suffered from my big fingers! As I was trying to explain the drop table allowed for a very controlled procedure and the surgeon was able to work with a high degree of precision.

I think I remember where I saw the link to the video and if I find it I will message you as we are prevented from posting links here.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

OK Guys  My attempt to post the link of the surgery I wanted to share with you has failed to make it to the list which is rather sad but if you anyone would like me to send it off list please message me.

Cheers  Richard

• Posted

This method sounds even better than the anterior approach. The current methods in general use sound rather barbaric. A gentler approach, if it is perfected, is a wonderful idea.
    • Posted

Hi Richard,

Is there any chance you could send me the the link mentioned above.

Thanks 

Sue

• Posted

I have tried to post links to this group but we are not allowed, which is a shame really, lots of good info out there.
  • Posted

Hi Sue I had the super path 10 wks ago with total success! Are you from Uk? I had it down in a Nuffield hospital by, who I believe is the only/ or one of the only surgeons in UK who perform this surgery . I was ready to go home after 1 night but stayed 2 because I had along way to travel. Please don't feel worried about the operation, within 4 days you,re feeling back to normal. The worst I felt is the medication which makes you feel under the weather. 10 wks later I forget I've had it done and of course just a tiny scar. My problem is now my other side which I think needs doing, along with groin pain, again on other side.  Ask me anything you are unsure about Sue, but don't feel nervous, afterwards you'll be so glad you had it done. I am 57, a bit young I guess for hip surgery but glad I did! Good luck and keep me informed! X

• Posted

Hi Angel12017,thanks for your reply.I am glad your operation went well. Did you have your operation in warwick? My Surgeon said he would like me consider this method, which I have agreed to, but I am unsure if I have made the right dicuss, reason being this if very new in the UK. My Surgeon said he has performed about 100 of this type of operation. Would be kind enough to let me know what type of Anestheic you had and what type of hip implant you decided for go for and why. I am 52 and questioning  myself why me. My mum had her hip operation about 35yrs ago or so, and I can remember coming out of the threate, which has left a my very very scared & frightened.I also have a Pre Operative Assessment appointment this Monday- can you please give me any advise on what to ask.

Thank you 

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue yes I had it done in Warwick Nuffield - Surgeon is young but really good, and I honestly wouldn't worry - I was nervous and didn't know what to expect and was a lot easier than I thought it would be... I think you imagine the worse but it is all done in a very dignified way and if you,re going to Warwick the staff are lovely. I felt it was worth doing the superpath because firstly the scar doesn't show at all (and at our young age we don't want scars smile ) also because the superpath doesn't cut into muscles it heals so much quicker and not so much a risk of dislocation. It's hard not to feel nervous Sue but it really all goes smoothly no time really for nerves... I had a general anaesthetic because I didn't like the idea of being awake. My surgeon made all the decisions on type of hip which was ceramic. You,ll be on your feet before you know it ... my problem with my other side has caused me problems which is annoying, having groin and hip pain, so I'm thinking of going back in September to have that side done! I agree you do wonder 'why me' did you have an accident in the past or is it work related? I had a car crash in my younger days, broke a leg and later in life i have reaped the damages rolleyes . They,re very thorough with the pre op assessment, which I guess is a good thing, so I'm guessing you,re about 2 weeks away from your op? keep your chin up, chat away to me if there's anything else only too happy to write!

regards

angela x

• Posted

Morning Angela

I will try not to worry and keep positive, hopefully after my pre opp assesment, I will feel better. At the moment I have not been given a date. My surgeon who's going to operate on me has worked with Mr Michael Cronin. My operation is going to be in Rugby (NHS). My hip problem is due to wear and tear of the cartilage and a touch of arthritis, bone rubbing against the bone, (hip impingement).I will let you know how my pre opp assessment goes and when I get a date for my operation.

Thanks for your reply back, it helps when someone make you feel at ease. If you decide to have your other hip done, let me know and perhaps we can meet up for a coffee n chat ( Cause I live in Leamington Spa- which in only 2 mins drive)

Thanks & Enjoy the rest of your day.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue please keep me n touch Sue let me know what you decide to do! I'm sure whatever you decide will be right for you but I have every faith in the superpath and I am sure you will be reassured at your pre op! I will certainly let you know if, or should I say when I have second one done and would love to meet up with you for a coffee and chat, I'm sure we,ll have a lot to talk about then smile x

• Posted

Hi I am new to this site I was just looking for info regarding the superpath approach for thr I was originally due to have a bilateral resurfacing procedure but due to a long story cancelled this and am due to see Mr Cronin next week to arrange having both hips treated at Nuffield Leamington as it is a relatively new technique it was good to hear from someone who has been through this just wondering if there I is any information/advice you can give me about this . I am 62 have been active but both hips going downhill quickly over the past 2 years or so. Hope your recovery is going well .
    • Posted

Dear m05

I'm interested in what you are expecting or hoping for from the Superpath approach that more mainstream methods offer.

Doing a search for Superpath here will bring up quite a bit that should be of interest to you.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard

?I have done quite a bit of research into this I have looked beyond the hype and can appreciate the sense behind the procedure that should offer less soft tissue insult and the fact that the femoral head is removed in situ eliminates the traditional dislocation process of the joint putting hopefully less stress on ligaments, tendons, blood vessels etc. It should result in a quicker basic recovery and because less damage is done to the joint capsule immediate and long term stability of the new joint should be better. For me I am hoping for a quicker return to work and the ability to participate in active sports like skiing with less chance of dislocation the minimal scarring is not an advantage to me as I don't parade around in my speedos much nowadays!!

?I appreciate this is still major surgery and may not go to plan so the results might not be as expected I am a health care provider myself so do take a realistic view of what I am going for. 

Regards

Martin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.