Hip pain

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi. I've been diagnosed with PMR since sept 2016. Started at 15 mg prednisilone now down to 6 mg. Over the last few months have had terrible pain in one hip and sciatica. I have mild arthritis in that hip. I am having private osteopath treatment Dr referring me for HSBC physio but said it could be months before I'm seen. He says I have Pitformus syndrome and sciatica and bursitus. Treatment is working. ...slowly. my question is. has anybody else had this and do you think it is connected to PMR. Should I up my pred to see if it helps. Any advice please

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I’ve had hip bursitis for years and I’m the shoulders . Had ops too on shoulder still no full relief . Physio 3 times  Sessions on hip It didn’t do much at all in fact I followed to the letter and it’s made it worse last time and it’s on and off  bad bad . I think it’s all down to that we’re  not all the same! When we suffer even with the same illness  .  Every time I’ve had Acupuncture in the shoulders it’s made things worse too. I do use strong  oil rubs which give a bit of relief as I don’t like keep using painkillers  .I’d say try different things and see what give you the best relief .
    • Posted

If you have PMR/GCA and also have hip bursitis the chances are that the bursitis is part of the PMR - i.e. systemic, not due to a mechanical cause. That is why the high dose steroids for GCA helped - and the quickest and best way to deal with it is local steroid injections which concentrate the steroid in the area it is needed. Doesn't have to be in the joint so not a long term problem as they can be. I had hip bursitis and it faded over about 6 months on 15mg and lower - doesn't have to be really high doses but when it flares I get steroid injections rather than up the oral dose.

• Posted

Sorry me again . The only thing that did get rid of my hip pain for a little while last year was high dose steroids for the GCA .  But of course that’s not  practical long term . I hope you find something that helps 👍 

• Posted

Did anyone get pain and stiffness in their knees with having Bursitus in their hip, im finding this lately and think they could be related. I was offered another steroid injection for my Bursitus as the first didnt work(made it worse) should i take up the offer, really dont know what to do next.
    • Posted

It makes you walk funny - and that puts strain on your knees. Strange your steroid shot made things worse - they sometimes don't work. I have been lucky though, mine have always worked thank goodness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.