Hip pain after knee replacement surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm around 12 days post op after total knee replacement which is in itself quite painful but I have hip pain on that side too which is extremely painful - have anyone else experienced this and have any ideas what is causing this pain?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

HI there, I'm 17 days post KRS - I too had some ache to the hip but found on walking that i was 'walking from the hip' if that makes sense rather than putting foot down on heel to then foot, bending the knee - don't know if its how you are walking - puts strain on the hip . I had been trying to walk without crutches but clearly affected how i walked ( wooden leg springs to mind !!)

Hope this is of help to you - The first few weeks are pretty rough aren't they - but am told does get better - CAN'T WAIT X

Best wishes Mechele x

• Posted

I thought I was putting weight through my knee - I might be more conscious when I'm walking - it's really worse at night - yes wooden leg is quite like me!! thanks for reply Fionnuala

• Posted

Oh God yes...hip pain out of no where. Thinking my body trying to compensate on right side to carry burden of left knee surgery

• Posted

I'm 4 most out and have a partial paralyzed foot from the turnicut! I can't sit on a ch as ir or car for as long time due to the turnicut damage. T hff eye tied it so tight it damage my siatic nerve. I can't sleep on my right side either for mor ed than 15 minutes! I'm seeking counsel. I was a caregiver and can't work due to safety to participants, my peddle foot is impaired.

• Posted

that's me too...unbearable rightsided hip pain. they probably flop you around like a flounder in the OR. I'm giving my mattress the evil eye! and for heaven's sake don't buy a recliner that doesn't have a handle adjustment. you will be stuck in it like turtle on it's back.

• Posted

It's not unusual to have pain in all sorts of places as the tissues repair and adjust to the realignment of the new knee. I had hip pain, shin pain, back pain - you name it pain! It does get better, but all takes time, a lot of time and patience, which we all run out of! Make sure you try to walk correctly through the foot, extend your stride when you feel able (it's very early days yet) and use walking aids if you need to. Good luck and remember it's traumatic surgery and takes at least a year to recover if not longer.

• Posted

practicing mindfulness when walking, one step at a time. this in itself could make you a little crazy. we do so many things by rote, now having to think every little thing through for safety reasons. i don't know. out this depression thing...should this even enter our vocab? my friends at church pray purposefully every day. living in a 76 unit bldg it's not uncommon to hear a lot of woes. it gets a bit much. one of the newcomers here can blab endlessly about her personal fight to get ahead and NOBODY 's gonna put her down. i haven't the slightest idea what she's babbling about? pure attention getting BS. she asked me how i was doing then told me to suck it up. nice and she was one of 1st ones banging on my door. just a word here.. don't let nosy neighbors turn your privacy into Grand Central. be

selective and don't be afraid to say no.

• Posted

you don't need any flowers to get smelly in a few days and you don't have strength to deal with them. have someone open window, toss out! look out for lazy home health aids....they don't really want to do anything. i asked mine if she could put a laundry through...she said she didn't think she could in 1-1/2 hrs. trust me, she could have talked my sheets & towels down to 1st flr washer/dryer. i was looking over my HH dischg sheet, it says they prepared 3 meals a day for me and changed sheets 3 times during 5 days. great big check marks. Medicare Advantage prepare to be billed erroniously. so lets factor in mental anguish for all the tall tales we are told.

• Posted

First, you are 12 days in to 365 day recovery. This will be slow...this will be painful at the beginning. Pain elsewhere in your body is sooooo very common for us TKR patients. Check this out...

Other Pain After a TKR

People find relief with creams, oils, PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, etc. You do whatever it takes...

• Posted

Pain all over for sure. Maybe our brain is trying to trick us by referring pain elsewhere....for me dealing with chronic stomach pain and constipation, whew. How much jello can one take? If I take Miralax or stool softner its like freight train roaring thru a very irritated colon. No wonder Elvis collapsed in the bathroom. thanks for letting me get that off my shoulders...nothing like trying to be cooperative with PT and all you can think of is pooping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.