hip replacement 2weeks ago

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi I'm 34 and 2weeks tomorrow I had my right hip replacement, I'm doing ok, nurse came yesterday and took staples out, I'm desperate for a shower but not allowed to get dressing wet, it's a nightmare trying to have a full wash without actually going in shower, anyone got any advice on what I can do? thanks 

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i was given waterproof dressings..even had hydrotherapy sessions with small dressing in place after the staples came out...you can buy the dressings..

Chris

• Posted

I had a waterproof one when I was in hospital, but since I have came home, they are different ones, I will ask at my pharmacy and see if I can get other dressings, thanks :-)
  • Posted

Claire, you are young, was it sport associated you having your hip replaced? I'm only 4 days into mine but I'm allowed to shower (not bath) as I have a waterproof dressing also. I'll be glad when the clips are out!
    • Posted

hi I used to dance from when I was 4-16 then noticed problems after that, I haven't done much sports, but the doc now says it's hereditary, as my mother had a rare bone disease when she was 12. my younger sister is 28 and she needs 2 new hips in the future. it's better when staples are out as not that tight feeling anymore. just need a shower, it takes ages to have a wash at the sink, hopefully on thu when the nurse comes to check my wound I will be able to have one then. 

• Posted

I was allowed to take a shower as soon as the stiches came out and I did.

You will need a bathmot in the tub (If shower over tub) or on the shower floor. I was very v-e-r-y careful. I had my husband come and sit in the bathroom with me while I showered.

If you live alone or live with someone you would rathe not have watch you shower, ask the nurse. A lot of the nurses want to quick get in and get out, but I would ask the nurse to help you with your first shower.

I didn't need a chair inside the tub, but I reached up and hung on tightly to the shower head for balance. Really important is to have a bathmat on the tub floor. I have thick cotton bathmats for outside the tub, I just used it inside the tub. I'm at 7 weeks post op and I still use the bathmat, woud NOT feel safe without it. If you have super thick bath towels that would work also. Once they get filled with water they stick.

One other thing I forgot. You are not supposed to be bending over so make sure you get your shampoo & soap and stuff all lined up on the tub rim, or something similar, and be careful about not dropping them, because if they drop on the floor of the tub or showr floor, you really can't (or should not) pick them up.

Best of Luck to you Hon.

• Posted

That's sad, I suppose with you being so young it will need replacing at some point? Worry about that when it comes! I've never slept on my back in my life, so finding that tough! Excercising through pain is no fun either but has to be done I suppose? I just wanna feel better! Patience is a virtue. So judging by the time of a lot of these posts we all have trouble at night?
    • Posted

HI Jodie, ahh thanks for that info, I have a shower cubicle, and if I can go in tomorrow I will get my hubby to stay in bathroom with me just in case. hope you are ok, thanks v much x
    • Posted

Hi Martin, yes sleeping on your back is a bit of a pain, I'm used to it now, but I keep getting like spasms in my op leg during the night so that wakes me up, apparently that's normal. we will get there eventually x
    • Posted

To be a bit more clear I had staples. But my staples didn't come out for 3 weeks. Should have been 2 I think, but it ended up being 3.
    • Posted

Pain pills allow you to sleep through the night.

What pain meds are you taking?

Sleep is really important to healing..

• Posted

I took my crutches into the shower with me for first few weeks...not too bad but some of my stick on diamantes fell off!! Lol....no its true!!
    • Posted

haha like that I wish I had thought of diamanté s, might get some this weekend. were they not slippy the crutches? 
    • Posted

I'm taking 2 paracetamols and 1 Ibrufen and 1 codeine and 2 blood clot tablets at night.
    • Posted

In the shower? No just helped me to step over the edge and out again...and the diamantes did stick quite well but had some stuck to the soles of shoes too!! My friends said things like 'pimp my crutch!' 
    • Posted

How many megs of codeine? Usually they prescribe Codein that is combined with Paracetamol (Tylenol)  like one pill of 400mg Paracetamol+25mg Codeine.

Early on I used to take (2) of the 400mg Paracetamol+25mg Codeine at night, but then as I healed, I was able to cut that back. Please tell us how many mgs of Paracetamol you are taking at one time. Add in the amount if there is Paracetamol included in your codeine pill.

Paracetamol is not an anti inflamatory and does not prevent blood clots. Can you kindly reply with the names of the meds and the mg's in the meds, the crowd here might be able to help you.

• Posted

Hi I'm taking 1000mg paracetamol and 200mg Ibrufen, and 30mg codeine x

• Posted

Calire, are you able to cut your codeine pill in half? At the same period of time you are in, I needed 50mg (2 pills with 25mg of codeine in each pill) of codeine at night. When I took 50mg I sleept really soundly and woke up in the morning pain free. I actually did not have to regularly take the 50mg of codeine total. What I found was, say I took that 2 nights in a row. I got so much rest and sleep that the third night I was able to take just one pill with 25mg of codeine in it. The higher does of codeine knocked that pain down once and for all,  and once I got that under control maintaining it was easier/better. What you can do is take 25mg of Codeine and if you are not comfortable enough to sleep a few hours later you take another 25mg one. My doctor is the one who told me I could cut the pills in half and also take a second pill 2-3-4 hours later if the first one wasn't enough. Experiment with what works for you.

Just remember codeine is very constipating. Very. I drank a full glass of prune juice every day and in the period of time I was taking 50mg of codeine at night, I also took a stool softner, Ducolax. Of course you know that codeine is highly addictive but do not worry about that if you are a normal person being attentive. Once more healing sets in you will reduce the need for the pain pills and not take them.

I had my husband get from my doctor (he had an appointment) a prescription for 20mg of codeine and I cut them in half. I am 8 weeks post op and still from time to time I will take a half of a codeine pill of 20mg. Like last night I so should have. I slept horrible last night. I took 2 napraxon which it turns out was not sufficient, then I was screwed as I have to wait a good 6 - 8 hours for the napraxon to wear off. Tonight if I am feeling the same way I am going to take a half of a codeine pill instead. In three weeks I have taken 5 half pills. When I need them to releive pain to sleep I will take them. The more I am mobile of course I am getting pain at night, kind of to be expected I guess.

Also a product that is fantastic! Voltarene cream. Volterene is Diclofenac. Last night my leg hurt from my knee to my ankle (I walked a lot yesterday) I rub on the Voltarene in and it REALLY takes the pain away. Ofen times I rub some into my right butt cheek (operated on side) as the butt cheek is the back of the hip. What it does is knock down the pain enough to sleep or even during the day. It doesn't last that long but Voltarene cream sure does work as a pain reliever. I get the pain knocked back and then it doesn't come back.

Do NOT take more than that 1000mg of paracetamol (tylenol) as it cna damage your liver, ESPECIALLY if you drink alcohol with it.  My very good friends daughter had to have a liver transplant becuase she suffered from migrain headaches and was abusing paracetamol (Tylenol). Google Tylenol & Liver Transplant I bet you find reports on this. I am not a big paracetamol fan, I prefer ibuprofin or napraxon, and napraxon best, but that is just me.

• Posted

HI Jodi, that's great advice about the codeine, I'm on 1 tablet now twice a day, hopefully be off it soon, I have a problem with my knee on the same side as my new hip and that's causing me the most pain at the min, waiting to see dr about it, but apart from that I'm getting better everyday, still can't do lots of walking or standing but trying everyday to do a little bit more, I suppose still early days still, only had op 3 weeks ago xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.