hip replacement 2weeks ago

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi I'm 34 and 2weeks tomorrow I had my right hip replacement, I'm doing ok, nurse came yesterday and took staples out, I'm desperate for a shower but not allowed to get dressing wet, it's a nightmare trying to have a full wash without actually going in shower, anyone got any advice on what I can do? thanks 

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Claire, I'm 35 and currently on my third hip :0(. Showering will be fine, just make sure that when you get out of the shower you pat the wound dry.  

You can always replace the dressing afterwards providing they have you spares. 

Good luck with the recovery, I'm currently 10 weeks post op. 

• Posted

wow your 3rd hip! so you will know this inside and out then, I will make sure when I do have my lovely shower that I pat my wound, might be better to have some air to it, I will see what the nurse says tomorrow. Good luck with your recovery, thanks for the advice x
  • Posted

glad you are doing ok; they gave me an expensive waterproof type bandage that i wasn't to remove for several days but could shower with; but i am in the U S; maybe ask your doc for one; but you can buy those plastic covers that keep water out; i don't remember having to wait so long worried about getting wet...
    • Posted

HI Gloria, I'm in Uk but will enquire about those dressings, thanks for your advice. Take care x
  • Posted

Hi Claire,

Congratulations on brand new hip; hope you recover well. When I had mine done 5 years ago, I had those stitches which dissolve, so was able to shower much more quickly. The nurse who came to check me over said I could shower straight away. Which doesn't help you, I know, but if anyone else had the choice, I'd recommend! Staples are horrible! When I had a hernia op, the surgeon insisted I keep the bloomi' metal bits in for the full two weeks, and I was SO relieved to get rid of them!

Jean

• Posted

......but I loved my staples...lol!! Honestly didn't hurt at all getting them out...mine ..all 36 of them,  were in about 10 days....didn't have a choice...wasn't actually asked..I suppose its the surgeons preference.
    • Posted

HI Jean, it felt much better when they took the staples out, it makes a big difference when they are gone, I have them in a small jar to remind me how far I have come. Thanks Take care x
    • Posted

Wow 36! I had 27, it wasn't bad getting them out, but the nurse said they need to come out before the skin grows over them, feel much better now. Regards x
    • Posted

Claire, can I ask in what way do they make a big difference when out? Purely a comfort factor?
    • Posted

I had 71 staples this time round - use bio oil once the scabs have dropped off it relieves some of the itching and improves look of the scar. 
    • Posted

Hi Martin, yes it is not so tight the wound, when they are out, I have had my dressing removed today and it looks like it's healing fine, so I can now have my long awaited shower haha. 
    • Posted

3 THR's in 5 years all on left, 1st one snapped and 2nd came loose! I have been incredibly unlucky but 3rd time lucky I hope.  Each time the number of staples increase as does the length of the scar.  The first few months are the hardest and sleeping on my back is always a challenge but it was great to go a day without pain and start living life again.  

I hope your recovery goes well x

• Posted

Surgeons really do differ in their ways! I have clips that are due out in 8 days (can't wait!) but the surgeon I had insists on anti coagulant injections in hospital, but once home, aspirin. Huh? I thought in was going to come out with approx 3 weeks worth of injections. Can anyone tell me how my ceramic hip is held in, so to speak, as it's not cemented or screwed in? I'm not due to see him for another month?
    • Posted

I had 28 days of injections of Fragmin and never had those gorgeous stockings!..sorry can't help with your question though mine is cemented I  think! Its called the Marathon...manufacturers sense of humour I suppose!
    • Posted

I had the shots in my stomach for 3 weeks. I never had the stockings but my physical therapist massaged my leg every other day.
    • Posted

I'm not sure either what has happened to me. mine is ceramic too, I will find out on the 25th July that's when I go for my check up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.