Hip Replacement 5 weeks

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post op.  I had my right hip replaced and am 51 years old.  I still have to walk with a cane.  When I walk without I am very lop sided.  I have been told this is normal.  I feel I do well at therapy and have been told I am progressing.  They haven't started working on the outer hip until 6 weeks.  I am so anxious to just be back to normal.  Still very sore after working out and walking quite a bit.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I am 46 and 8 weeks post op. Your symtoms sound exactly the same as mine after that period of time. It is amazaing how the progression speeds up. I can now walk ok without a cane. Still a tiny bit sore but progression from 7 to 8 has been fantastic. Good luck.
  • Posted

Lop sided is because your other side is compensating.  You must build up strength in op side otherwise you may develop a Trendelenburg Gait  (waddle).  A cane might not be giving you enough support, a crutch or even 2 may be better to give that firm support until you can start some strengthening exercises.  I was walking up to 3 miles a day (not all in one go!) in 4 weeks but still using a crutch. Went once without and noticed by end I was beginning to waddle, so went back to crutch.  I started physio and hip exercises and core strength build up at 7 weeks. BUT if I have to do a lot of walking I will still take a long a crutch. I might not use it as a full support, but as I begin to tire it helps for that extra support.  I still have aches around joint, esp at end of day.  Also make sure you massage around the scar recommend lavender cream so that  you do not get deep scar tissue which impinges repair.
  • Posted

I was still feeling a little bit tippy at wek 4 & 5. I felt more stable in week 6 and beyond. I'm age 60, in pretty good health and carry a bit more weight than I would like but am not obease.
  • Posted

For what it is worth, when starting to walk again I really focused like a laser beam on keeping my baclk straight and chin up & not leaning over or hunching over. It was difficult as I also went through the "tippy" stage, but just really focused on keeping that back straight & chin up while I adjusted my balance. Speed was never my tagrget, a correct posture was most improtant for me, and I didn't even really walk all that far. Just around the house but with good posture. At five weeks I probaly only walked 100ft without stopping to sit down (or lean against a wall) and rest. It was not distance I was concerned with but lifting my knees and my heel & toes and NOT shuffling, and again with the back & chin. Endurance and speed you work up to later. What good is it to walk a great distance if you are not able to do it properly? Basics first, then distance and endurance. 
    • Posted

Yeah, I try to focus on posture and actual movement through feet and legs when I'm walking. I'm almost three weeks post-op (THR) and my outside walking distance has increased a bit but posture and movement is key, I agree.
    • Posted

Yes, you put it best !

Kinda of have to bust out the Royal Walk👑 !

I live in a huge complex so I imagine I'm being observed by the good looking guy in 2323....😎

I don't want to wobble like a turkey!😨

I did plenty of that with my pre surgery hip!!

• Posted

That is funny.  I feel like that about the waddle.  Only my good looking husband watching me though, lol.

• Posted

When I first walk in the morning and each time I get up from sitting walking is hard but I have to keep walking it out and walk slower if I'm limping.

as long as your leG lengths are pretty equal you should try your best not to limp and not use one cane.

If you don't feel strong enough use a walker.

I'm 49 and 3 weeks out of my second THR on the same hip.  Last one was revision.  I know everyone heals differently but try your best to walk without your cane because using one will surely screw up your back and keep your leg weak.  Need to work on Balance.

I'm walking my dog about 3 miles a day and it wears me out but each day gets better.

I went to my 30 yr reunion a, couple nights ago and almost made it to midnight but I was exhausted.

Best of Luck with everything and keep pushing forward to gain your strength so you can enjoy life again as best we can!!

Big Hugs!!

• Posted

I'm just about 3 weeks post-op and feel my balance and walking is improving and my muscles feel quite strong. Had my first out patient appointment today and consultant said I doing very well and advised I walk with just one stick, so interested to hear this advice. Thanks for that.

best wishes

whaile

• Posted

Wow!! Where are you living for the consultant to see you after 3 weeks.  I haven't seen my consultant since the op on 8th Aug. AND, will never see him unless something goes radically wrong.. which of course I hope not.  But as I have said before just to have a 5 min cursory once over by physio at hospital feels "lacking" in post op follow up.... Must be nice to have had positive feedback from him.
    • Posted

Oh my! I didn't realise it was unusual. I live in London. I'll see him again in four weeks and start more intensive physio to strengthen muscles further and ensure increased mobility. Sounds very different to your situation. And yes, the positive feedback was reassuring and encouraging. Hope you well on way to full recovery now...

• Posted

I can walk without cane.  It is just hard to not limp and I get sore.  I have been walking more and more without it though.
    • Posted

Oh Good, you'll get it.  I get so exhausted later in the day but my mornings I move around and try to get things done as much as possible.  

I limp too and don't have it perfect but hope mine evens out.  At least my back doesn't hurt anymoreally now to help my knee.  It hurt last time after surgery too.

Wish you the best!!

• Posted

Hi Whalie

I think it is ual to see your consultant so soon.....and luckywink

I saw mine 6 weeks after THR and then 3 months

Good luck

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Sorry....I meant to say I'm in the North East so it really is a post code lottery.....isnt it?

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.