Hip Replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone after several years of a painful right hip I have been diagnosed with sever arthritis of the right hip and have just got confirmation my operation will be on the 18th August. I am a little nervous however can't wait as the pain is never ending. It looks like i am having a general anesthetic and will be in hospital 4 days. Would like to hear from anyone for helpful tips to aid speed recovery and honest comments what ? I can expect.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

dear julie, 

warm welcome to this hippies forum ..

You must be feeling overwhelmed right?  increasing pain and less mobility and now THR surgery ..

The good thing is that you found us and we know what you are going through ..

Our valued forum member Graham, aka Rocketman, has created a web page where you can find a lot of information -

please go to:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147 - scroll all the way down to 487147,  A layman's guide to ...

and of course, come here with all your questions -

How much do you already know regarding post - op care , like your home etc.

Will there be a pre-op day scheduled ?  

you are not alone anymore 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi yes I have a pre op one 4th August no nothing about after care except what I've read.... dreadful pain at the moment

• Posted

Well, you still have time to get things in order --- I am so sorry that you are in so much pain .... what kind of medication are you taking - at some point nothing seems to help anymore - just deep breathing - perhaps listening to guided pain meditation (many to be found on youtube) can help -

do you have someone at home to help you? 

a physical therapist will come to your hospital bed, Julie - depending on time of day you had your surgery and teach you how to get out and in to bed - walk around with frame/crutches/rollator (independently going to toilet!!!)

and do stairs ... you will not be released from hospital until you master this - 

sending you love, light an healing 

• Posted

Thankyou yes I'm afraid pain killers not really doing anything doctor triedme on various tablets ( make me wally) don't like on't been in control.... latest is tramadol but to be petfectly honesty i only take 2 at night to help me sleep and then its still hit and miss got to the point its pointless taking anything.....

• Posted

Dear Julie

I found that Morphine worked well for me when Paracetamol was not touching the pain and it allowed me to get a good night's sleep! I understand that one can find it is addictive but I used it with respect!

All the best. Richard

• Posted

Paracetamol , ibuprofen nothing is helping. Tramadol helps sometimes and is addictive but like you use it with respect.
  • Posted

Hi Julie

It is a nervous time and an optimistic one! I will be honest it's tough to start with the first two weeks are difficult painful and frustrating with highs and lows. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am now 6 months post op and life is so much better. Now beginning to feel like I was years ago - I'm 59. No hip pain at all. Had a few blips we all do. Best advice is take your time and don't take any notice of those who say they can do 5 mile hikes after a few weeks! Your pace is the right one don't compare to others my mistake! Get all your jobs done before you go in as you won't and can't do stuff post op apart from sitting around. Do your exercises. Ban visitors unless YOU want to see them it's so tiring. But use your friends to take you out when the walls are closing in! Get your toe nails cut too I am sure there will be loads more tips to come from other hippies

Good luck Julie

• Posted

Aww thanks am 58 i have been looking around the house and started looking at the things I like doing for example my crocheting I will have to make sure i have things at the right height.one of my fears is the stairs getting in and out of bed. I will definitely try and heal in my own time. I am not working for obvious reasons at the moment thought i might return in mid October maybe wishful thinking lol
  • Posted

Hi Julie, first of all all that pain you have been in will be gone. My first words to the surgeon was that bloody groin pains gone! Take all the pain meds,  your leg will be swollen and the best advice I was given, was to go to bed every afternoon for 2hours. Certainly got rid of excess fluid and help me cart him up on sleep. My hospital gave me a frame over the toilet. A stool a commode for downstairs and two really important bits of equipment. A sox on to help get socks or tights on and a handygrabber. Will become your best friend. I wrnt out everyday for a walk building up slowly. You need to grit your teeth sometimes. You will feel abit down. Dont  think you should be doing better etc. We each heal at our own pace. I thought I was doing bad but when I look back I wasnt. I was off of crutches at 5 weeks, never used a
  • Posted

Stick was driving at 7 weeks and back to work at 8 weeks although that was tough. Never regret having it done. 

I had an infection and nerve damage but couldn't find out what caused infection and nerve damage resolved. 

Sorry ipad playing up and posted posted before I finished! Xx

• Posted

Hello Julie. I had right hip replacement on Thursday. I was terrified but everything was fine.

try to do as much of the excel isles they suggest before hand, as it really does help. 

• Posted

Hi Julie ,you not alone any more. This forum is excelent and evry one will give you some advices. I wouldn't have go trough without this site. Just follow instructions what you get from hospital. August is not fare away.

Im nearly 9 months after hip replecement and im glad I went trough.

Still oposite hip have to be done. I started drive after 6 weeks and went

back to work after 13 weeks .

Hug Madla

• Posted

Hi Julie

I am now 4 1/2 weeks post op and starting to feel "normal" of course I can't dance yet, but I don't have any of the awful pains I had before the surgery. I have had a somewhat easy recovery which I ascribe to the fact that I did my research before the surgery. I made sure I had all the equipment needed (toilet seats, walkers, grabber etc) I figured out how to feed the dog, as I live alone and there is no way one can bend down to pick up the bowls. I got a hospital bed in the living room, put all my clothe on the dinning room table/closet, stocked the fridge and frezer. I got a million (lol) books from the library. 

I know it is very scary to look forward to, but Julie I now have 4+ weeks to look back on and you know what it is quite fantastic. I do not regret for one minute this surgery, in another 4 weeks  I am sure I will be walking the dog without waker or cane, so hang in there Julie, get your ducks in a row and wait for the relief you are sure to get after the surgery.

• Posted

Oh wow you sound on the way to recovery. Yes i have been planning books n my crafts will be at hand. Luckily my hubby can put the dog food down lol however i did think if i had a tube i could tip her biscuits down. Making sure i have easy clothes to put on (throw on a sun dress) . will ask at pre operation about equipment i may need. Hope your recovery goes well. Julie
  • Posted

As Renee says, go look at my website for tips from other hippies on this forum, and keep coming back here for advice, or just a shoulder to cry onwhen it goes downhill - it may do at some point, setbacks and depression are common in this recovery.  I had never ever suffered depression before, so it was quite a surprise to me.  This forum with Renee and many other helpful people helped me through it all, which is why I set up my website for others following me.

I don't get too much time to come onto the forum these days, that'sthe trouble with being retired wink

My website address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.