Hip Replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone after several years of a painful right hip I have been diagnosed with sever arthritis of the right hip and have just got confirmation my operation will be on the 18th August. I am a little nervous however can't wait as the pain is never ending. It looks like i am having a general anesthetic and will be in hospital 4 days. Would like to hear from anyone for helpful tips to aid speed recovery and honest comments what ? I can expect.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Julie, I was a summer hippy too, last July, so I'm nearly a year post op. I don't regret it for a minute. I'm a similar age to you, I was 57 when I had it done. I had a v straight forward recovery, took all my meds, did my exercises, very little pain, I was lucky. I think a lot depends on how fit you are, apart from my hip I was healthy. I think the summer is a great time for surgery because as you say, you can wear a dress, much easier to put on. (I didn't? need to wear jeans for weeks, and when I did, it felt totally weird.) Also you can get out walking more easily. All the best, Judith

• Posted

Thank you for your positive reply. I am generally healthy so hopefully have a good recovery.Julie
  • Posted

Hello Julie,  I am sorry you are in so much pain, I went to my doctor about 3 months ago as I was taking Paracetamol Ibuprofen and Codeine but I was still in agony anyway she offered me Tramadol but I wanted to try Naproxen first, I'm glad I asked for it because I have been in less pain and only take codeine before bed. It is really hard coping with hip pain no position is comfortable and its depressing and upsetting being in constant pain.

I hope you find some effective pain relief whilst you are waiting for the op.

Take Care Lulu.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply unfortunately Naproxen didn't do any good. I just keep plodding. Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.