Hip Replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi all,

My mam is 73 years old and she is in agony at the moment. She has been told she needs a hip replacement but she is very reluctant to do it. She can no longer walk without a limp and can only walk short distances. I'm worried she's going to do more damage in the long run. I'm just wondering if there are any other people on this forum who are a similar age and would give me any advice for her? She did get the injection into the hip in the middle of Decemeber, hoping that it would help but she herself has admitted she feels it has aggravated it.

I would appreciate any advice at all. Worried about her.

Thank you.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Fiona.

After a hard fall the head of my RH leg Hip split in 4 pieces and the Emergecy Hospital in Greece

decided to do a partial Hip Replacement (Hemiplacia)because of my age at the time 71 yr and a

chronic bronchitis at the time.They used a metal Stem.It worked well for 20 yr with no rehab at all.

I did a lot of hard work travelling the world and lots of climbs and walks.When overdoing it was

giving me pa[in but after a good rest was good again.21 yrs on last April it started locking and i could

not moove till it unlock.So at 91 I decided to have a THR Revision here in Melbourne Aust.

Every thing went well had some rehab.In 6 weeks got the all clear.On the 8th wk the 5yr old pre OP

SCIATICA hit me with revenge.Then 8 months post OP the Hip Flex Muscle(Psoas)mucked things up. Daughter is trying to arange for an appointment with the Surgeon to see what went wrong.No Regrets.

CHEERS,Nicholas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.