HIP REPLACEMENT REVISION COMPLETED

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had my hip replacement revised on February 4.  All went well, and my right eg that was 1-1/2" shorter than my left leg is now the same length! Yippee!  Recovery has also gone well.  I've been in a care center since February 7 and have had physical and occupational therapy every day. I'm going home tomorrow.  I get my staples out February 19.  I'll continue with PT for another four weeks on an outpatient basis.  But I am very happy with the results since I was in so much pain before because of my leg length discrepancy.  I am still in recovery, so I will continue to take pain pills as needed.  I'm the first one to admit I don't handle pain well!

I'm just happy I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So WONDERFUL Lynnsfave! I could not be happier for you! And to have legs the same length finally is such a blessing! Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

Keep us posted after you get home.

Hugs

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Thanks Dawn.  It's now known that leg length discrepancy can be fixed. Shame on doctors who don't/won't offer to fix their patients but instead tell them to get their shoes built up to adjust for the length difference.
  • Posted

Hello Lynn

I'M so happy you are having such a good recovery...you have so much to look forward to this summer...all the best to you..patricia

• Posted

Thanks patricia.  I am looking forward to having a pain-free summer!
  • Posted

Time has flown and so have all your dreadful anticipation and anxiety. It's onwards and upwards now and I can just imagine the difference you're experiencing newly balanced. Your entire skeletal system can now realign and your body recover with all the excellent help you rightly deserve. It can only get better - and better. Let us know - pitfalls and all...SarahSarah
  • Posted

That's great lynnsfave.  Onward and upward from now on.  Take it easy, don't do anything rash and that tunnel will get shorter and shorter.  Best wishes to you.
  • Posted

Awesome news!!!  I understand the length discrepancy.  Feels wonderful doesn't it!!!  Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery...
    • Posted

If you have LLD, go get a second opinion from a surgeon in a different ortho group.  Get your X-rays and medical reports, including op report and bring them to the doctor.  I keep telling people find out how wide your femur neck is and what size did your surgeon put in. If the wrong size was put in, have it revised with the correct size!  It's well worth having the correct size put in!  In the meantime, find an attorney.
    • Posted

I think you misunderstood me Lynn, my leg was almost one inch shorter prior to surgery, now it is perfect. 

• Posted

Sorry.  I guess I did misunderstand.  You said you understood the length length discrepancy.  I guess I read into what you didn't say!
  • Posted

Hi Lynn, so happy hour leg lengths are same now. My hip that was replaced is now 1 3/4 longer than good leg. After My original OP lengths were same, BUT nothing in there was right! It fell.out 2 x within 10 days! They put it back in while in ER. Next day of course I was livid and at Drs office! It fell out as I stood up to say goodbye. Dr showed me xray, said all was good. Anyone have Dr Edgar Handal, Boca Raton, FL? So had to go under knife again and now leg is longer. I am sick! All shoes must have lifts put in the shorter leg, the good leg. I can no longer jog, EVER he said. Tennis, only doubles etc etc. Any words of wisdom anyone?

• Posted

That is awesome lynn!  Keep up the positive attitude and good work!
  • Posted

Lynn, if I understand correctly, your hip revision was solely for the purpose of correcting the leg discrepancy?  Not sure if I could work up the courage to do that all over again!  Although I do have back pain because of the leg length difference.  My surgeon suggested I wait before using lifts or anything until "things settled".  Revision has not been discussed.....only lifts for my shoe.  Wonderful for you that you now have two legs the same length!
    • Posted

Kathryn, see my replies to Linda and Ginny.  I had back pain, shoulder pain, sciatica, coccyx pain, scoliosis.  All because my surgeon didn't measure my femur neck and put in the wrong size.  I went to another surgeon who uses a different supplier who makes a femur neck my size.  Don't bother with your current surgeon because he will cover his butt by doing whatever he can.  Get a second opinion first.  You have to find out if the wrong size was put in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.