Hip Replacement too young?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have severe arthritis in my hips one showed severe and the other moderate knees are really hurting as well. Anyway I went to the hospital today and was told that unless it's impacting my life really badly or extremely painful then I should put off for a long as possible. I'm 45 Doctor also said Glucosamine, Chrondirin don't really make any difference. Has anyone else been told to delay for as long as possible.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

and I can't take anti imflammatory meds because I have asthma
  • Posted

Hi

Yes a lot of people are told they are not old enough until about 60.  Because it means having another replacement if you are young when you have the first one.

As for glucosamine......I was told it was no good for hips but for knees it was a possiblity.

REMEMBER I'M NOT A DOCTOR  cheesygrin so cant prescribe for you lol   just telling you what I was told.

The only thing is you have to bear with them.....at least 3 months {I think} before there is a chance that they will have any effect.

Good luck

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Eileen, omg lol another 15 years of pain very limited movement. Do the hips last around 10 years if so when your 70 I take it you'll be too old and have to make do with the damaged replacement is that about right?
    • Posted

Hi

I think they are supposed to last a lot longer than that

Hopefully someone will come on and say how long   lol

• Posted

Hello Heken, I have Osteoarthritis in my knee and spine so can only give my experience on this. Usually hip and knee replacements are only considered when your 60 plus. As Eileen as stated it's because you would need a second one done later, and second ones are less successful. Replacements usually last on average 10 years for knees, hips are about the same i think. I had a knee replacement at age 39 and a revision, second one done age 52. Mine was neccessary due to septic arthritis at age 11. I  had deformity and it affected my Fibia and Tibia bones. That one wore out and i broke my leg so had another one done, had bone craft as lost a lot of bone. I am halfway through my second knee and it was not as successful as the first one, and my mobility is quite poor now and i suffer nerve pain too. I wasn't given a choice as i was virtually unable to walk. I don't know what will happen in the future as they may not be able to do a third, anyway it would not be sucesssful. I am still only 58. your knees maybe hurting due to the pressure from your hips. The best thing to do is keep active and do light exercising, swimming and gentle walking are best. As for Glucosamine they are not that good. I have recently read that Tumeric tablets are good for Arthritis and i am looking into getting some to try. I wish you the best and hope that you can find some releif from the pain.

Best wishes

Elizabeth. 

• Posted

thank you Elizabeth that makes more sense the doctor didn't really say an age. It just seemed I wasn't suffering enough for him to do it anything. But I get it now to be it off for as long as possible now will keep me more mobile in later life. thank you very much for your advice :-)
    • Posted

thank you Elizabeth I have been doing exercise probably too much I went for a hour and 15 minute brisk walk each day and then starting jogging. I stopped due to dark evenings. I was hoping to get more flexibilty in my legs as they are so stiff everything is task from picking something off the floor to having a relationship. My hands even ache some days just squeezing the toothpaste so it's all very frustrating :-(
  • Posted

Try taking MSM from Holland and Barrett. It's combined with glucosamine and chrondroitin in capsule form or on its own in powder form. It's the msm that works and not the other two things.  It's been a life saver for me and I'm 66, so it it is worth giving it a try. I have oa in hips knees and lower spine.  Hope you find something that works for you.  If that fails you could try flexiseq which is gel that you rub in. It's exoensive though.  Good luck and don't have

any ops unless you are desperate .

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you have been affected by OA so young.

You can do a lot to help yourself by strengthening the muscls that help you stand up straight, tummy and bum tucked in.  Pilates is a great help to achieve this.  Walking with a limp puts a strain on the knees.  Special exercises to strengthen muscles around the knee have eliminated pain for both my sister and myself.

I had already started a course of 'LEWTRESS' from my local health shop.  It is a v. concentrated form of rosehip extract.  It certainly helped but since the exercises for only a few days -no more pain.  I had hip replacement 9 weeks ago at age 74.

It was v. successful  Your doc should refer you for exercises to NHS phyiotherapy team..

Best wishes 

Ann

• Posted

thank you xfrack I will ask my doctor if there's any chance of physio but they did say before it wouldn't help. I will google lewtress thank you
  • Posted

Hi Heken,

I have similar OA in one hip and the odd area also… and again I was told I was too young at 53 for replacement hip. However, my sister lives in the USA and she had her hips replaced a 38/39 years old and was told, they will last a life time no further surgery will be needed on the hip replacements? She will be 59 this year and still OK with the same hip replacements, so I think it’s a NHS answer… as my sisters was done under medical insurance “health care” in the states and I think they fit different hip replacements that are 2 to 3 time more expensive than the replacements our NHS offer.

• Posted

that's interesting, I wonder what, not that I can afford it, but going private here would suggest
  • Posted

I can't help, I'm afraid but at 53 I've been told that I'm too young to have the bones in my big toes fused despite the fact that they don't bend at all now and walking is very painful. Reasons given were, like you, if it was done now it would probably have tobe redone in the future.  I was also told that there was a chance of things going wrong and that would mean that I would hobble forthe rest of my life.  I'm pretty much at the hobbling stage now!

I was told that they would prefer to wait until I could no longer work with the pain.  If next winter is like this winter that won't be too long coming.  I'm going to ask about going part time as it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.