Hip Replacement/tying shoes

Posted , 22 users are following.

I had hip replacement 6 1/2 weeks ago.  I have been unable to easily tie my shoe for years.  I was under the impression after surgery, I would be able to do this.  I am able to get about as close to my shoe as before surgery.  I have been doing PT and exercises at home.  Trying to walk without cane.  I get very sore after this.  I am getting so frustrated.  Will I ever get to the point where I am pain free and feel this was worth it?  I am really unsure at this point.  

1 like, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello mkwins63,

As you have probably already read here. EVERYONE heals and recuperates differently. So do yourself a favor, just take it a day at a time my friend. Do exactly what you can do. Don't push yourself at anything. If you get back to being your old self. That will only come when your body has readied itself for that.

I think we all need to come to the conclusion. That some of us will not ever be 100% again. Our bodies were cut open with a foreign object to it. And muscles, tissues, ligaments, nerves and let's not forget. A major bone was cut off and had a metal rod pounded into it. In summary, it's going to take some time for everything to heal.

roadglide1959

• Posted

You said a mouthful, my words exactly...no one knows/realizes how dramatic this surgery is until it's over and one has time to reflect on all that has taken place....I sure did NOT....  the docs surely don't give us this picture as they would not be as busy.. 
    • Posted

Joy,

There it is! The doctors do not consult us on possible outcomes of this procedure. Like most things in the medical 'industry'. If there is no substantial reward to the doctor or medical facility. They can't seem to help us. Prime example being, hospitals bill insurance companies $60,000.00 or more for this surgery. But if you don't have insurance. Your 'cash payment' is substantially less. I was told that $25,000.00 would sufficiently cover all expenses. Quite a huge window there.

So yes, I'm convinced that there are a lot of unnecessary surgeries done. I know the facility that is doing my second THR has approximately 30 Orthopedic Surgeons. And they are all booked out for 3 months in advance. Quite the revenue influx.

roadglide1959

• Posted

Apparently 3 months! And you’re right some movements will remain dangerous like tying shoe laces!
  • Posted

I am almost 2 weeks out and feel the same way as you do! Still cannot cross my operated leg to reach my showlaces (It doesn't help that my arms are short) and putting on my socks (very very hard) and shoes iare also difficult. I use a long shoe horn.

• Posted

Hi there!  I had full hip replacement on 9/12/2017.  I have gone from a Walker to a cane (a lot of the time I have nothing).  I still have some pain.  My feet are still swollen.  However, I am a lot better than the first week!!!  I feel with every week I get better.  I can bend down a lot further than the first few weeks.  I wear slippers most of the time ( although with winter coming I will have to have sneakers).  The web says that if you leave the shoes lose, you can get into them.  We’ll see!!  I’m interested in how others are doing after hip replacement.
  • Posted

My hip is 6 weeks old and I’m pain free. However at my review today the surgeon told me I would never be able to tie shoe laces ever because of the accute angle. I still use a walking stick but it’s more of an accessory than anything now. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.