Hip Replacement/tying shoes

Posted , 22 users are following.

I had hip replacement 6 1/2 weeks ago.  I have been unable to easily tie my shoe for years.  I was under the impression after surgery, I would be able to do this.  I am able to get about as close to my shoe as before surgery.  I have been doing PT and exercises at home.  Trying to walk without cane.  I get very sore after this.  I am getting so frustrated.  Will I ever get to the point where I am pain free and feel this was worth it?  I am really unsure at this point.  

1 like, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Early days.  Takes months.  Took me 10mnths to walk normally and still take painkillers  occasionally. I had a daily carer in for 8 weeks and had to put socks on with a pair of special stretch grippers.  Of course you should have had the bending down explained to you. .. You will start to notice improvement in these movements if you do your exercises religiously and you may need plenty of painkillers
  • Posted

It's still a bit early mkwins.  I am now just over 7 weeks's post revision of RTHR and still can't quite get down to my right foot.  I can manage everything on the left side but the right is still evading me.  I am also now using a walking stick instead of the elbow crutches but still can't put my full weight on my operated leg.  I'm walking a bit further every day (we have a dog which helps!) and going swimming 3 times a week - doing physio exercises in the water.  I was told not to bend my operated leg any further than 90 degrees so that could be the reason why I'm not getting down to my right foot yet, but I also have a bad back which could be contributing too.  I'm sure given time, and patience (!) you will be able to tie your shoe so don't overdo it but keep trying.

Stella biggrin

• Posted

So much good advice and comments here.  I'm 4 weeks out from revision, my first surgery I was at my 3rd month and could finally tie my shoes.  So take it easy you'll get there.

My bed has a frame board about a foot off the ground at the end of it.  I pull my foot up onto it and let my thigh and buttocks stretch, eventually I'll be able to get to my shoes again.  Stretch stretch and stretch.  Massage is often overlooked but helps so very much wi5h loosening up those thigh muscles.

Best of Luck and try not to feel negative about where you are at with your recovery, you are doing great!!!

• Posted

Hi I am in the same boat as you I had left hip replacement 8weeks ago tomorrow, I tried to do my shoe up I did it but had a little bit of pain told the physio & she said it was to early to try that leave it for a few more weeks then try again  , I am walking up & down the stairs normally instead of one step at a time so that is a big improvement, so relaxed and try again in a few weeks good luck x
    • Posted

I guess you're not following your doctors orders.

You don't suppose to force your leg in any way unless you can actually put on  your shoe or sock. You need to be extra careful because you're risking a hip dislocation. Unless you had the Anterior approach to total hip replacement.

• Posted

Hello mkwins63,

At my pre-op meeting with my surgeon. He expressed that I would be limited to a 90 degree bend forever. And it's been shy of 17 months post op. And I'm lucky to get an 80 degree bend of my torso. I have to use a sock jack and a long shoehorn when putting socks and shoes on.

But as we all know, everyone is different. So do your exercises and stretches your PT instructs you to do. Hopefully you will be successful in your recovery.

I'm scheduled for my right leg THR on November 13th. I sincerely hope that this time things are different.

roadglide1959

• Posted

Please understand that this will take time to heal. If you had the posterior approach your surgeon cut into your muscle to reach the hip. This will take time to heal.

Eating the right food, meaning high protein, alot of fish, vegetable, beef, chicken and if you normally don't eat well then the protein shake is evident. This will assist the muscle to heal properly with proper exercise.

Follow your physical therapist orders, ice therapy post-exercise, exercise at home, visit the therapist three days a week. The ice will assist in reducing inflamation and home exercises will extend your recovery period shorter. 

I am 14 weeks post-op, i walk three miles, i drive, walk no cane, but cannot go beyond 90 degree until my muscle is flexible and tight.

My surgeon have me on precaution for one year. But never go beyond 90 degrees i really don't buy that. 

Effort yourself into those exercises, don't give up.

God Bless

• Posted

I believe those having done the posterior approach have more issues with this one...my neighbor had this aproach and she has this issue and she's 4 yrs post op...it gets easier, but these are all so foreign in our bodies and wonder the same...but my daughter reminds me how horrible I walked before the replacement.....and I don't have GROIN pain anymore but other complications...I had anterior approach in late 2010.   
  • Posted

It's still early in your healing process and ill take more time to heal .especially with your dry back.

I had anterior hip five months ago, and I can lift my leg over the other to put on socks and tie my shoes.

• Posted

I have no idea. I use my smart phone to text and what I type doesn't always come on the screen .

I think it should have read  set back.meaning your book clots in the lungs.DOES THAT MAKE SENSE now.The capital ignore. The key got stuck.:smile

• Posted

I did not have blood clots.  Did have c-diff.  Hospitalized for 7 days after surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.